New ESXi server build - been awhile

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
Someone just buy my mobo from HP ML350e: Have 2 Mini SAS connectors, DDR3 and four PCI slots for NIC. Add 1230V2 there (4 cores x HT), and it's gonna be great server for starters: DDR3 is cheap, and you have four(or three, don't remember) PCI slots for more cards or more SAS controllers.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I need to upgrade/refresh one of my ESXi servers. Current one is old, loud and noisy old SCSI drives.
Whats the current load / vm count/type on it?
You will be limited to 64GB Ram (and expensive Unbuffered to boot) with E3, but o/c board and cpu are cheaper.
8 threads should be fine for normal loads, 4 to 8 VMs

Reactions: thecoffeeguy

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
Whats the current load / vm count/type on it?
You will be limited to 64GB Ram (and expensive Unbuffered to boot) with E3, but o/c board and cpu are cheaper.
8 threads should be fine for normal loads, 4 to 8 VMs
good point. Was hoping to run 6-10 VM's on this build.
Mostly Linux based, with a sprinkling of Windows here and there.
lots of containers too.

realtomatoes

Oct 3, 2016
i went with a e-5 2660v2, asrock EPC602D8A atx mobo and 8x16gb ecc ddr3 = ~$700
threw in a hba passthrough to a freenas and i got me a nice AIO ESXi running in a regular pc case silenced by a noctua hsf.

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
i went with a e-5 2660v2, asrock EPC602D8A atx mobo and 8x16gb ecc ddr3 = ~$700
threw in a hba passthrough to a freenas and i got me a nice AIO ESXi running in a regular pc case silenced by a noctua hsf.
Very nice. Sounds like what i want to do.

Do the asrock boards have anything like IPMI at all? I have grown to love that feaature. :)

EDIT: Just looked, and they do.
I was trying to find that exact board, but cant seem to find one. :(

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well thats what we told you all the time, get some older tech.
Not sure you need to buy new for $400 or if you can get a used one for cheaper with similar features though

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You might want to take a stock of the planned things (VM Host, FreeNas, what else) and define the components you need for it.
This might include a HBA for FreeNas (x8), maybe a NVMe Card for slog (x4), maybe a 10G or faster network card (x8).
If you need anything else (for example I run vSan so I need two additional x4 slots) note it down.
These parts must be either on the board (-C variants for HBA, -T variants for 10G) or pluggable via slot.
X9SRL should be fine for most of it unless you need x16 slots (GPU, newer Mellanox cards) or bifurcation & boot from nvme (not sure whether x9 boards support these).
Cpu wise a single CPU should be fine for your use case, you could get the venerable 2670v1 for cheap or some of the high end ones 2693/6/9 depending on preference for cor count or single thread speed.. (Of course the e5-16xx series will work too for even higher single thread/less core options)
Single CPU board will be less bulky too so should fit your desired case without issues (which might not be the case with a DP board).

So all in all - sounds good:)

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
You might want to take a stock of the planned things (VM Host, FreeNas, what else) and define the components you need for it.
This might include a HBA for FreeNas (x8), maybe a NVMe Card for slog (x4), maybe a 10G or faster network card (x8).
If you need anything else (for example I run vSan so I need two additional x4 slots) note it down.
These parts must be either on the board (-C variants for HBA, -T variants for 10G) or pluggable via slot.
X9SRL should be fine for most of it unless you need x16 slots (GPU, newer Mellanox cards) or bifurcation & boot from nvme (not sure whether x9 boards support these).
Cpu wise a single CPU should be fine for your use case, you could get the venerable 2670v1 for cheap or some of the high end ones 2693/6/9 depending on preference for cor count or single thread speed.. (Of course the e5-16xx series will work too for even higher single thread/less core options)
Single CPU board will be less bulky too so should fit your desired case without issues (which might not be the case with a DP board).

So all in all - sounds good:)
Yea, you hit on so many things I want to test/play with.
I signed up for VMUG with lots of cool toys to play with. All the things you listed, things i'd love to try.
Doubt i would need a GPU (no plans anyway) so that could free up a slot for sure.

I think i am going to buy that x9 board. I looked at and I can pick up 16gb stick for about $60. Thats a lot cheaper than DDR4 sticks. $240 gets me 64gb, not to shabby.
I would shoot for high end CPU for the threading and extra power, just in case.
And your right, DP boards are bigger, requiring bigger case.

I'll just throw this out here. With that ATX board, I was looking at cases. I dont need anything fancy (no color fans, neon etc.). I like fractal designs. however, some of them have only have a few slots for SSD's. I did see that i could buy a 3.5 to 2.5 drive converter, but when looking at it, the SSD's practically lay on top of each other. The first thing i thought of was heat problems. Eitherr way, would like something wherre i could attach up to 4 SSD's local storage if needed.
Just throwing that out there.

Thx!

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
Definitely an option. That looks like a good CPU for a good price. I'd prefer to buy more than I need to than regret buying less and having issues down the road.

I think i'll grab that CPU and drop a Noctua Heatsink on it (unless something betterr?). I like to keep my setups super quiet and cool.

So the final build would be that SM board, the CPU in the link above and then the followwing:

PSU
Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550FX 550W 80+ Gold Intel ATX 12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply - Newegg.com

Case:
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout Brushed Aluminum/Steel ATX Silent Modular Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

Am i missing anything ?Any issues with capability (memory biggest concern)?
Heat?
Noise?

Wife is going to love me when I buy this all..ahaha.

Thanks everyone

TCG

thecoffeeguy

Mar 10, 2016
Well, this is embarrassing.
I realized building the server today, the mobo does not have IPMI. I just assumed it would since it is uspermicro.

Gah...could i add one?

sad face :(