Supermicro X9SRA: S3 sleep problem even with vt-d disabled

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
So just got my hand on a X9SRA. it has quite a few nice features like 4 additional sas ports in addition to the usual 2 sata 6gb and 4 sata 3gb... also will take up to 512gb total ram with lrdimm....

now the part that bugs me is i still cant wake this thing from s3 sleep inside win 10 1803. the bios has s3 sleep in acpi setting....

I even tried disabling vt-d which supposedly fix the s3 sleep with win10 since 1709 for older things like x58 and i7-975 stuffs....

anyway, i might test install an older pre 1607 win10 and see... anyone got any other suggestion or has gotten x9sra to work with proper s3 sleep in win 10?

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Gigabyte did not include VT-D in BIOS, its only simple VT, I disabled VT and will do some tests but will come back with an answer in 1-2 days because like I said I do not have this problem all the time.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
hmm, that's really weird,, i figure just about all MB has vt-d setting i guess not. which cpu are you using?

you try selecting sleep from the start menu and do it like 10 times in a row and see?

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
Searched google and saw that a few people got a custom bios for this board from gigabyte just for this option.
Sadly I put my computer to sleep for 5 times and now its not waking up, when I clicked mouse to wake up nothing...
The mouse gets power when I click it so is the keyboard if I press a key but the system is not turning on.
If i press the power button it starts like it was shut down but after loading windows it loads the last state.
I know sometimes it wakes up but the monitor is not getting any signal and I am forced to reset the pc

CPI: i7-930

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
well, that sucks ;(.... guess forget about my so called possible fix then ;(.... i wish i can change the topic to failed fix now...lol...

it didn't work when i tried on the x9sra board either.... go to sleep but only fans and board power back on with no video coming back on and the whole thing unresponsive

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
can you check powercfg /a to see if yr computer list standby (S1 S3) or does it say standby s3 only? thanks.

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S3)
Hibernate
Hybrid Sleep
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S2)

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

If I remember correctly I can only select S1 or S3 in my BIOS

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
yeah, i went back and check my asus z9pe-16 and it has an option in bios for s1, s3, and s1&s3. i enabled the s1&s3 and inside windows powercfg it shows standby (s1 s3), but it didn't messed up the s3 sleep and wake for the asus board. i guess that's not the problem then.....

on my x9sra, when you select s3 in bios, standby (s1 s3) show up in powercfg. Most of the other computers i know that has proper s3 sleep and wake only shows standby (s3) inside windows.... but the asus z9pe apparent;y can have both standby(s1 s3) as well as standby (s3)..... That makes me thinking supermicro didn't implement this s3 sleep correctly since it didn't work in window 7 also....(ie not also due to the win 10 messing up sleep like in x58)....

i emailed supermicro and they said it suppposed to work.... they willl escalate to engineers.... will see if anything will come out of this...

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
i think the problem is solved. it looks like it was bad contact either in cpu socket or ram slot due to dust. Following a video posted by a supermicro engineer which proves that s3 sleep and resume does def work, a light bulb hit me to start with just 1 ram stick which s3 sleep and resume then worked for me too. it was then just a matter of time before i figure the whole thing out....lol...

the used board i got had a fair amount of linen and dust particles at the outer edge of the cpu socket and around some of the cpu pins at the edge as well as some inside the ram slots. hard to believe that this didn't cause any other problem except for the sleep resume. i ran a bunch of benchmarks fine and it was stable while not correctly resume from sleeping before..... so weird that this bad contact was isolated to just sleep resume problem...

Last edited:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
sorry, problem is not solved still! after some more testing with additional different cpus. I even bought another board from another seller and also use latest bios. Awake from S3 sleep will only work with some cpus and not other. and the only way you can know is by trying to do 10 cycles of repeat sleep and wake to see if it works every time ;(