Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Trisuni11

May 16, 2018

Trisuni11

May 16, 2018
JSchuricht, thank you, i allready installed IT. but still many unknown devices in the Device Manager :(
and the system works not correctly. can not walkthrough stability tests, unplanned restarts, freezes...

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016
JSchuricht, thank you, i allready installed IT. but still many unknown devices in the Device Manager :(
and the system works not correctly. can not walkthrough stability tests, unplanned restarts, freezes...
Have you tried to look the VEN_&DEV_ of that particular device via google?

Trisuni11

May 16, 2018
Have you tried to look the VEN_&DEV_ of that particular device via google?
sure. i searched a lot for Devices ID - nothings results in google...
they all looks like
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0E1A&CC_0880
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0E15&CC_0880
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0E86&CC_0880
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0E14&CC_0880

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
Hi,
Can anybody help me with the backplane fans?
My fans never reach its full speed despite CPUs overheating while barely being under full load.
I see some jumpers on the backplane, some even mention fans... There should be a way to make fans more agressive, or to set on manual control...

Does anyone have any ideas?

And thanks in advance!

tuatara

Mar 2, 2016
What do you mean by over heating? Do the CPUs thermal throttle? Are the heatsinks warm/hot to the touch? Have you checked the thermal paste? Is it a problem transferring the heat to the heatsink or getting the airflow to cool the heatsink?

These systems are configured to run the fans at the minimum necessary for the conditions specified in the document, which includes running the CPUs hotter than you'd expect but under their thermal limits.

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
What do you mean by over heating? Do the CPUs thermal throttle? Are the heatsinks warm/hot to the touch? Have you checked the thermal paste? Is it a problem transferring the heat to the heatsink or getting the airflow to cool the heatsink?

These systems are configured to run the fans at the minimum necessary for the conditions specified in the document, which includes running the CPUs hotter than you'd expect but under their thermal limits.
CPUs run at 70 degree Celsius just after ten minutes of 100% load (unless ambient temperature is 15 degrees); heatsinks get hot, and the pulled air is really warm too, but fans operate at the lowest speeds (slightly faster when system gets heated), I know this, because once I pulled out one fan and made it run at 100%, and it was a rocket!

And I don't want to have a rocket racket, but fans being a bit louder to sustain CPUs under 73 degrees is perfectly reasonable, and heck, it will be alright to have a turbine noise when it's necessary.

These CPUs have max T Case of 73 degrees, that's why I'm worried so much.

k0ste

Feb 4, 2018
CPUs run at 70 degree Celsius just after ten minutes of 100% load (unless ambient temperature is 15 degrees); heatsinks get hot, and the pulled air is really warm too, but fans operate at the lowest speeds (slightly faster when system gets heated), I know this, because once I pulled out one fan and made it run at 100%, and it was a rocket!

And I don't want to have a rocket racket, but fans being a bit louder to sustain CPUs under 73 degrees is perfectly reasonable, and heck, it will be alright to have a turbine noise when it's necessary.

These CPUs have max T Case of 73 degrees, that's why I'm worried so much.
Don't worry so. This Quanta has a large reserve of fan power. I was see DC with of 40 *C of ambient temperature and hundreds of this Quanta - no one of CPU reach throttling.

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
Well, one board died on me while not worrying so.
By the way manual of a standard commercial Quanta systems had max 130 TDP, while Windmill V2 is 115. So that might be the thing you saw.

Last edited:

tuatara

Mar 2, 2016
I also think 70C is fine.

From memory, that's what mine stabilized at and the fans were definitely not 100%. I was running 2x E5-2670 which have a Tcase of 80.

Janiashvili

Dec 16, 2016
I also think 70C is fine.

From memory, that's what mine stabilized at and the fans were definitely not 100%. I was running 2x E5-2670 which have a Tcase of 80.
CPUs get to 70 degrees within 10 minutes of 100% load, I meant they get higher shortly after.

I see a lot of jumpers on the midpane, maybe they need to be set differently?

Last edited:

hugotias

May 28, 2018
This is great. I am wondering how your PSU+breaking board connects to the mother boards.

A little mod of Quanta Windmill on the pics below. This will solve the issue for those who have 110V as now it can power up both from 11oV and 220V. Fans are working as usual. Both nodes are operating from the same PSU.
And besides, now the PSU can be easily upgraded to 1200W for example.
In my case I just needed to install GTX 1060 and power it up from 6 pin PCI-e power. Now works with passive IDE riser.

hugotias

May 28, 2018
Original PSU died in a month. Thanks to this STH thread it's now powered with an old 650W Supermicro PSU - 12V 50A is all this system need. Still a nice, efficient and silent server.
How to connect? Looks like all the previous posts with the wiring were deleted. Can you provide an instruction? Thanks

hugotias

May 28, 2018
Which is awesome. You could use a 1200W HP platinum PSU, breakout board and do 8pin to 8pin EPS. And power 2-4 of these nodes. Could probably even layer them in a 4u case with stand offs, add fast 120mm fans.
How to connect the PSU+breakout board+8 pin EPS cable (I already have those) to the midplane board or the motherboards? All the previous posts showing the wiring have been deleted. Appreciate if you could give some instructions. Thanks!

hugotias

May 28, 2018
Both the power supply mods posts seem to be deleted. If anyone still looking for the mods, the PSU Used on second post was 750W Cs He Power Supply Kit, you can search B0025B0FAW in amazon for its page.

The first and third data pins were soldered together with a 300K register in between, assuming to start the psu (Same as atx power supply). And large planes on left were used as positive and negative connections.

Connection on the power mid-plane / fan unit was soldered with 3 positive and 3 negatives serially. (From first post)
Thank you for your guide! Since the original post was deleted, I have to double confirm. "And large planes on left were used as positive and negative connections." - by saying this, you actually meant PSU+12V should be soldered with P1 and P2; PSU Ground should be soldered with P3 and P4. Is that right? Thanks!

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
How to connect? Looks like all the previous posts with the wiring were deleted. Can you provide an instruction? Thanks
Hi there!
Watch for this post
Correct , from right to left - positive - negtive. You better use all possible wires for connection, so you need 8 custom connectors. I've tried with 8p+4P 12V CPU connectors and they got hot on a 400W load with 2680v2, had to add more wiring from molex hdd connectors!

BTW, found good deal on original PSU's

hugotias

May 28, 2018
Hi there!
Watch for this post
Correct , from right to left - positive - negtive. You better use all possible wires for connection, so you need 8 custom connectors. I've tried with 8p+4P 12V CPU connectors and they got hot on a 400W load with 2680v2, had to add more wiring from molex hdd connectors!

WOW! Thank you so much for the ino! I'll simply buy the original PSU.

hugotias

May 28, 2018
Hi there!
Watch for this post

I tried an HP 750w server PSU and now can successfully deliver +12V and ground. However after I soldered the PSU's +12V and ground blades with motherboard's power connector male heads, the motherboard(I only have one node, no midplane no 2-node chassis) couldn't boot up. I measured the voltages on the exposed metal pieces of the male heads, they looked correct: (P1/P2 = +12V over P3/P4 = ground). So what went wrong?

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
I tried an HP 750w server PSU and now can successfully deliver +12V and ground. However after I soldered the PSU's +12V and ground blades with motherboard's power connector male heads, the motherboard(I only have one node, no midplane no 2-node chassis) couldn't boot up. I measured the voltages on the exposed metal pieces of the male heads, they looked correct: (P1/P2 = +12V over P3/P4 = ground). So what went wrong?
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/open-compute-windmill-v2-motherboard.9638/page-2