has anyone here tried out one of these Antsle things?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Proxmox is better...
It's not proxmox, it's antsle ; ). antsle is a turnkey solution, ready out of the box. All components are specifically compiled for performance and ease of use.
LXC, KVM, ZFS. Supermicro inside.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Pretty much just a Supermicro a1sri-2750f in an Akasa Euler case. No need to pay their premium price. You can put it together yourself for $hundreds $less.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Will the Akasa work for a X10SDV-8C board? I'm currently using a Sys E-200 chassis that is too loud for my liking even with a fan swap. It's my travel lab and the noise is really bothersome in tiny hotel rooms.

William

May 7, 2015
Pretty much just a Supermicro a1sri-2750f in an Akasa Euler case. No need to pay their premium price. You can put it together yourself for $hundreds $less.
Yes, many people from here could build one much cheaper but I don't think that's the point.
This is a simple to setup appliance in a functional case that is attractive, sounds like it works well, comes with support, that many SMB's or users might like for the fact they don't have to build one, just buy it and set it up.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I dont believe the X10SDV will fit as is. The heatsink dimension is wrong and the mount location isnt quite right.

That said - it wouldn't really be a big mod if you had the tooling precise measurement it could be done.

Would be better if you could get Akasa interested in doing it. You'd really just have to convince them there is enough of a market to make it worth their non-recurring engineering costs.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, many people from here could build one much cheaper but I don't think that's the point.
This is a simple to setup appliance in a functional case that is attractive, sounds like it works well, comes with support, that many SMB's or users might like for the fact they don't have to build one, just buy it and set it up.
Didn't mean to suggest there is no valid place in the market for them or that the premium is too high. But I didn't get the sense that the OP here was asking as a non-technical SMB who wanted his hands held.

William

May 7, 2015
I have not messed with these things so I do not really know.

Why not get a nice Synology or QNAP NAS, setup VM's or what ever you want to do. These things come with private clouds also and are pretty easy to use.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Unfortunately the only "server" motherboards that work in the Akasa cases are the Supermicro C2550/2558/2750/2758. They also have cases that support Skylake CPU's but none of the supported motherboards are server boards from what I've seen. It's too bad because the cases are awesome. I have one for my C2758 and it keeps the CPU very cool and is dead silent (obviously being that it's fanless).

Reactions: PigLover

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
ok... so, it looks like:

1. no one here has any experience with this thing
2. most people here could build one
3. or we could buy a synology or other commercial nas/hypervisor
4. the case is certainly interesting

LOL... thanks!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@BLinux my take (not having used one) is that you are paying a sum for a UI. If you like that UI over what is free or other paid options than so be it.

At the same time, it does seem like a similar or smaller feature set than Proxmox, perhaps with better support.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@BLinux my take (not having used one) is that you are paying a sum for a UI. If you like that UI over what is free or other paid options than so be it.

At the same time, it does seem like a similar or smaller feature set than Proxmox, perhaps with better support.
I guess without any experience using their UI (myself included), it's hard to say how much value it provides.

I know most people around STH are fully capable of building their own "mini-hypervisor" machine. I'm a die-hard "build it yourself" type of person too; I don't even use FreeNAS or Proxmox, just straight CLI Linux+KVM+ZFS+etc. But when I bought @Patrick Synology DS1812+ to learn about DSM, I realized how useful that UI can be for some of my clients who are less technical and just need something simple that works. In addition, the easy of installing applications in DSM adds tremendous value.

I don't know if these Antsle guy's have something like an "app store" or not. They seem to be targeting software developers that want a home lab or portable lab; so their audience isn't completely non-technical, but I can see how a developer that wants a lab to learn/experiment with some new programming framework or technology could do without the hassle messing around with the infrastructure.

So it seems the opinion here is that other than the unknown potentials of their UI, there's little value in:

1) the hardware they've put together
2) their "custom" Gentoo based Linux OS - they mention "optimized", but I wonder if that's nothing more than recompiling every binary in Gentoo for their specifically chosen CPU; I know Gentoo fans have some obsession about re-compiling their binaries for some reason.

gallifreyan

Mar 2, 2014
Sunnyvale, CA
rsts11.com
I know this is a kinda older thread, but having just acquired their software-only offering, I went looking for anyone who'd dug into these more and found this thread.

I blogged about the system a year and a half ago, and at the time, the prices on the first gen were not a lot more than Amazon pricing on analogous/equivalent new components. Memory was hard to find in density at the time... especially 16GB ECC SODIMMs.

For the “antsle one Pro” configuration, case + motherboard + 16GB DDR3 ECC SODIMM RAM + 2x 512GB SSD + case came to $1,146.65 on Amazon vs $1149 discounted price ($1249 regular price) from antsle.

For the “antsle pro Ultra” with 32GB ECC RAM, 2x 1TB SSD, and case I arrived at $1,881.76 on Amazon vs $1,949 discounted price ($2,099 regular price) from antsle. The RAM was sold and shipped by Memphis Electronics (16GB ECC DDR3 SODIMMs) and the SSDs were “Usually ships in 1 to 4 weeks.”

When I get done with some work training, I'm going to try the Antman platform on a system I built similar to their Xeon-D boxes...

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
their software only offering is something new i didn't know about. that said, it would seem like they are going up against something like Proxmox VE, no?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
We had one. It's like Proxmox VE pre-loaded on a low power server but it's not as good. Less functionality wrapped in a nicer UI. They're more targeted at single servers and calling that a "cloud".