Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coskun

Jan 25, 2018
Hello to everyone.
I decided to collect this system.

parts i have

Dell poweredge C6220
2x Xeon e5 2651 v2
120 Gb Ezcool ssd
500 watt eco High power ATX power supply
8 GB ram

5f4d543d-36b9-4f35-b50c-1bcd42ba99cc.jpg

I have a problem

I've done the cable layout of the drabadue, but it didn't

cable layout but did not work.

drabadue

Sep 15, 2016
this diagram is correct ?View attachment 9412

I would appreciate if you help

thanks everyone :)
@coskun -

It is a little hard to see from your pictures, but the 12V DC to DC booster looks correct on the power connector to the Dell board. In your last picture, the furthest pin to the left should be the +12vSB line.

The small 12 pin front panel connector (the one we have to jumper to get the board to start), also looks correct for your blue and green wire. Those should be jumped together.

That part looks correct. So, lets trace it back to the ATX connector on the PSU.

In your diagram, #1 (from the DC-DC boost converter) should go into the ATX power supply connector and should connect to the PURPLE wire on the ATX power supply.

And #5 should go to the ATX power supply and connect to the GREEN wire.

The purple and green wires are standard on all ATX power supplies.

Purple - +5VSB
Green - PS_ON Signal

Double check your connections at the ATX connector.

Even without the jumper or PS_ON line connected (no wires in the front panel connector on the Dell board), if the +12V standby line is hooked up correctly, you should see the 2 green BMC lights begin to flash.

As a side note, #3 and #4 in your picture are just +12v wires. In fact, the whole "Eye Boot" cable is just +12V (yellow) and ground (black) wires from the ATX connector. You will need to add the wires in for the +5V standby line and the PS_ON lines in order to make the board turn on and off with the power button.

tanpengsccd

Sep 26, 2018
I success boot Windows10 ,and can boot Hackintosh of 10.14 too! this is my configuration file EFIC6220.zip

But there is something not perfect, my gtx750ti/HD7850 has no output ,only AST3200(on board) dose. my CPU E52670 locked on 2.6Ghz.

Last edited:

igoresz

Dec 16, 2017
Moscow
...my CPU E52670 locked on 2.6Ghz.
Check CPU menu in BIOS. There are must be following points:
1.JPG
Regarding to my real experience, on some C6xxx and C8xxx boards there are real issues with locking CPU capacities to safety values after <clear_cmos>. To fix it back you just need to re-check some points in bios menu. _

Last edited:

tanpengsccd

Sep 26, 2018
Good news! My R9 270 work in Hackintosh! Maybe my HD7750 not work beacase it not support GOP EFI 。
When Cover EFI Bootloader Start after select OSX drive , VGA output cursor will blink ,wait about 2 min , will enter Desktop。
new EFI file here
MediaFire

Reactions: igoresz

Ari P

Oct 5, 2016
In general, I join you)) collected on the base 083N0 ...
... OS version is 3.2.11 and bmc 3.56 although on the official site for this server the latest version is 2.5.5 for the PowerEdge C6220 version and 2.8.1 for the PowerEdge C6220 II version. What do you think this dell is like? and where for it to find a newer bios if it is?
I have exactly the same board as you and also would like to know which newer BIOS would be the right one.

I have 2*E5-2680v2. Got 1st free so need buy another for a bit less than 200€ :) And this is fast, if memory doesn't throttle or do something strange.

Idle power with fans and very primitive Radeon VGA GPU is ~80W, max while doing Blenchmark is 325W. It drops far below 300W when throttling. So my small 650W SFX PSU should be enough even with a decent GPU like GTX 1060/960.

Is that 3.2.11 signed by some other distributor than Dell for their own use? Which would make updating any C6220 II BIOS ok?

Ari P

Oct 5, 2016
I asked about 0083N0 from Dell. Their repply confirned that HW & BIOS are custom modifications, not C6220/C8220.

That is not a C6220/II board. It is a system board for one of our DataCenter Solutions products that are based on the Cloud line of products. The DCS line of servers are custom solutions that may use hardware, BIOS, or firmware that is specific to the customer the solution was created. Any custom BIOS or firmware created for a customer is only available to that customer.

I would not use that system board in a normal C6220 II. If you are not having any issues then I would not change the BIOS.

drabadue

Sep 15, 2016
If anyone is interested, I have 3 of these Dell C8220 motherboards for sale. Two of them are TDN55 boards, that should have working onboard sata ports, and one is the board that started this thread. I am still happily using my C8220 board to this date. Just bought these boards as extras, and never used them. Asking $80 shipped each. Shoot me a PM for more info.

arturmon

Feb 18, 2018
and the nickname did not face such a problem? a bunch of fixed errors associated with the video card. The most interesting thing that does not affect the performance. video is connected via pci-e riser.
Forgot to say video card msi armor gtx 1060 6gb.

Attachments

igoresz

Dec 16, 2017
Moscow
thank you drabadue.

I hope I can do what they say
@coskun,

Something tells me, that at the end (finally) there was not a "happyend" in you story?
I mean: "you have done exact work", but untill now your board was not started (switched on) at that mode what you wished? blue light and your psu doesn't start. Right?

IvanO

Sep 16, 2018
РФ
Does anyone have experience working with the Dell C8220 motherboard outside of a server unit? I tried to do a search, but only came up with one thread tagged with C8220. I picked one up recently with the hopes to use it as an overkill PC. Kind of an experiment to get my feet wet with server parts.

Here is the hardware list so far:
Dell C8220 Compute Node (Dual LGA2011)- Complete sled minus cpu's and heat sinks
2x Xeon E5-2665 CPU's - (8 cores/16 threads each - 16 cores/32 threads total)
32GB of DDR3 1066mhz Registered Ram
24/8 pin to mini 18 pin Dell C6100 patch cable
Corsair H60 Liquid cooler

Things I still need to buy:
HDD/SSD
Graphics Card
Windows 10 Pro
PCIe x16 Riser Cable (ram would be in the way if i tried to mount the graphics card to the board.)
Another Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler
ATX Power Supply

I see that a lot of people on here have experience with the C6100 and have had good luck playing with that. Specifically member S0lid (I have been using his C6100 power pinout as a rough guide). My understanding is the C8220 is just the next generation newer.

Is it doable?
Can I use this board as a dual CPU home PC, running windows 10 pro?
Anyone see any potential flaws in the idea?

I will have questions about powering the board as well as the front panel connectors in the very near future.

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello! I need a dump of the BIOS on the Power EDGE C8220. The board came without a BIOS chip, I found the MX25L6406E chip. On the manufacturer's website the bios file is 1kb larger. Help....

Last edited: