Two e5-2696 v2 for $460 Very limited supply!!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
The 10 core might be a better deal but seeing as how im doing single proc builds for a vsan cluster the more cores the better :)

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
The 10 core 2680 is a better value but is not a better deal.

There are more than a dozen 10 core CPU in the E5 v2 line up but there are only 3 with 12 cores. They carry a premium price for a reason.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
V2 is good on a budget. So buying the top sku for a ‘premium’ is not smart if you can move up to next gen for similar prices

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
V2 is good on a budget. So buying the top sku for a ‘premium’ is not smart if you can move up to next gen for similar prices
The next gen similar price is not quite here yet..... It's getting close though..... when 1950X price goes down to $400 then it's time. Also it depends on the ddr4 ram price too...

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
The next gen similar price is not quite here yet..... It's getting close though..... when 1950X price goes down to $400 then it's time. Also it depends on the ddr4 ram price too...
DDR4 prices is the main reason why i still use my IvyBridge/SandyBridge/Westmere systems. I have a Haswell system too, but it's stuck at 32GB RAM which I won't upgrade until DDR4 comes down a lot more. I often resort to using my older systems when a video rendering job requires more than 32GB... :-/

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
i bought 8X 16GB DDR4 ecc a while back for $800 and that was considered to be a decent price...... now compare that to 16X 16gb DDR3 for $400....... there is no comparison....

Quick question:

MT36KSF2G72PZ-1G4 . This is the 16gb ddr3 i have. i think it's rdimm... does that means MB using only udimm won't use it ?

well, the runing x79z MB is able to use this. but the asus p9x79 deluxe didn't see it.... i got a p9x79 WS coming but i am wondering if it will work or not.... any opinion?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
By default most X79 motherboards won't post with RDIMM, not even with a Xeon CPU.
As you already noticed, there are some exceptions. AFAIK, all X79 boards from ASRock can use RDIMM provided you pair it with a Xeon CPU. Tried this myself with an Extreme 6 and read from plenty of people that they got it to work with higher end SKUs. Don't have any confirmation for the Extreme 4, but ASRock support is usually capable of answering that kind of question. But only up to 8GB DIMMs, they still won't post with 16GB DIMMs. Again, I tried this myself and ASRock support also confirmed.
If you want to be on the safe side for 8x16GB RDIMM, C602 chipsets are the better choice. These cheap Chinese "X79" motherboards tend to use the C602 chipset instead, hence their native support for RDIMM and lack of overclocking options. Don't know if there is one with 8 DIMM slots though.
No first-hand experience with the Asus p9x79 WS. You will read plenty of statements that it won't take RDIMM, but then again this is mostly from people who think that X79+RDIMM is an impossible combination. But my guess is that even if it works, it still won't post with 16GB DIMMs.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildpig1234

xena

Apr 10, 2013
DDR4 prices is the main reason why i still use my IvyBridge/SandyBridge/Westmere systems. I have a Haswell system too, but it's stuck at 32GB RAM which I won't upgrade until DDR4 comes down a lot more. I often resort to using my older systems when a video rendering job requires more than 32GB... :-/
yep...reason for many of us. I would like to buy that older 2x10core board but with current status of major security holes in intel procesors, Im still waiting for DDR4 prices to drop in order to buy something new from AMD. Unfortunatelly Im already waiting more than year and still current DRAM oligopol wont allow this to happen. I only hope that samsung and their comrads from DRAM industry will pay for this really badly in court...few bilions of euro should send clear signal to them.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
By default most X79 motherboards won't post with RDIMM, not even with a Xeon CPU.
As you already noticed, there are some exceptions. AFAIK, all X79 boards from ASRock can use RDIMM provided you pair it with a Xeon CPU. Tried this myself with an Extreme 6 and read from plenty of people that they got it to work with higher end SKUs. Don't have any confirmation for the Extreme 4, but ASRock support is usually capable of answering that kind of question. But only up to 8GB DIMMs, they still won't post with 16GB DIMMs. Again, I tried this myself and ASRock support also confirmed.
If you want to be on the safe side for 8x16GB RDIMM, C602 chipsets are the better choice. These cheap Chinese "X79" motherboards tend to use the C602 chipset instead, hence their native support for RDIMM and lack of overclocking options. Don't know if there is one with 8 DIMM slots though.
No first-hand experience with the Asus p9x79 WS. You will read plenty of statements that it won't take RDIMM, but then again this is mostly from people who think that X79+RDIMM is an impossible combination. But my guess is that even if it works, it still won't post with 16GB DIMMs.

Sad announcement after finally running additional test..... Lenovo S30 does NOT recognize 2696 v2.....does work with 16gb rdimm as per spec

BUT Lenovo D30 DOES work with 2696 v2.

So weird isn't it? Everything of course on the latest bios.....

So far, i have not been able to find a one cpu 2011 v2 board that does everything: S3 sleep, 8 ram slots accepting 16gb rdimm, 2696 v2 oem cpu supports, and at least 3 pcie x16 slots. How hard is that? lol...

The only boards i got so far that does all the 4 are the asus z9pe-d16 and lenovo d30.... anyone else wants to add anything?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I think it's true that the only MB with definite support for 16gb rdimm are those with c602 chipset, like the cheap chinese boards. I think looks like the only boards that supports rdimm are the one with the c602 chipset. I think gigabyte has one in Gigabyte X79S-UP5-wifi also have a c602 chipset. Problem is not much overclocking options.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Just FYI, I can confirm these E5-2696 v2 CPUs work in Supermicro X9DR7-LN4F+ rev 1.00A motherboard. It looks like I got lucky, and my rev 1.00A board may have previously gotten the ECO rework done to support IvyBridge.

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Just FYI, I can confirm these E5-2696 v2 CPUs work in Supermicro X9DR7-LN4F+ rev 1.00A motherboard. It looks like I got lucky, and my rev 1.00A board may have previously gotten the ECO rework done to support IvyBridge.
Yeah, that board was what used to confirm that my pair of 2696 v2 was good when i bought them a long time ago. I didn't know about the S2600 incompatibility problem back then and thought my cpu wasn't working. Sadly i could never get the supermicro board to run stable under win10... seems like that board doesn't support win10 or server 2016 completely..... so i had to return that board and got asus z9pe-d16 which is where my 2696 v2 has been in ever since...

On another sad note. as suspected, asus p9x79 WS does support 2696 v2 like the deluxe ver but also doesn't support rdimm, so it's also limited to 8gb udimm just like the rest of just about all the X79 chipset boards.... I got a gigabyte x79s-up5-wifi (c606 chipset) coming so hopefully that will be my do everything single cpu board for 2011 v2......

Rain

May 13, 2013
I'm not entirely convinced every Rev 1 board X9 board had the Ivy Bridge issue. Is this something that was definitely confirmed?

The X9DRi-LN4F+ clearly needed the rework but, considering how many X9 board are being resold, you'd think more reports of Ivy Bridge incompatibility with other boards would have popped up.

Last edited:

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm not entirely convinced every Rev 1 board X9 board had the Ivy Bridge issue. Is this something that was definitely confirmed?

The X9DRi-LN4F+ clearly needed the rework but, considering how many X9 board are being resold, you'd think more reports of the Ivy Bridge incompatibility with other boards would have popped up.
I can't say for the general case of *every* SMC X9 motherboard... just don't have enough experience with all of them...

In the case of the X9DR7-LN4F+, yes, I confirmed it with SMC RMA department in a long discussion over email. They told me that for this particular board, rev 1.00 and 1.00A did not support Ivy Bridge initially. Rev 1.00 did not have a ECO to support Ivy Bridge. However, rev 1.00A did, and they gave me a specific ECO number should I want to send it in for the rework. In my case however, I think I got lucky and the board must have already received the ECO rework during prior ownership.

Reactions: Rain

Rain

May 13, 2013
I can't say for the general case of *every* SMC X9 motherboard... just don't have enough experience with all of them...

In the case of the X9DR7-LN4F+, yes, I confirmed it with SMC RMA department in a long discussion over email. They told me that for this particular board, rev 1.00 and 1.00A did not support Ivy Bridge initially. Rev 1.00 did not have a ECO to support Ivy Bridge.
Interesting, that's at least two we know for sure then. I'm still a bit surprised there haven't been more reported issues with other X9 boards, but maybe there just arn't that many people eager to use Ivy Bridge.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Interesting, that's at least two we know for sure then. I'm still a bit surprised there haven't been more reported issues with other X9 boards, but maybe there just arn't that many people eager to use Ivy Bridge.
well, maybe 3 if you count motherboards within the same family. I know about reports of the X9DRi-LN4F+, but I've personally had ECO rework done for my X9DR3-LN4F+ as well; the 2 boards are almost identical except for the onboard intel pseudo-SAS controller on the X9DR3. So that makes the list:

X9DRi-LN4F+
X9DR3-LN4F+
X9DR7-LN4F+

I wouldn't be surprised if "related" boards also had similar issues... e.g., X9DR7-TF+, etc.