Joining the ranks of Hackintosh users........it works !!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Following the guide to install High Sierra using the tonymac86 guide, it requires a Mac to do it which I do not have so I had to jump through some hoops to get to the point of creating a install usb.

UniBeast is currently creating the install flash drive.

Specs:
Motherboard: Asrock Z370 Pro4
Cpu: Intel i3-8100 4 core 3.6 ghz . It's great for the price/performance.
SSD: Intel series 530 240 gig
Ram: Gskill Trident z 3200 8 gigs
Gpu: Intel i GPU
Case: Phanteks, I forgot the model number but its the smaller mid atx cheap one with the temperd side glass.
Power Supply: EVGA 650 watt non modular
Cpu cooler: Evo 212

All parts that I already have.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Possibly ......because this is the first Hackintosh I have tried to do so hopefully it will work.

I even created a Apple ID.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I thought about posting this in workstation builds, but this is an experiment for now.

Reactions: pgh5278

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
For fun yes.
What I would love is easy to create, maintain, update VM’s that run on ESX or Hyper-V

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Good luck, usually it's straight forward with clover. I have an E3-1231v3 on X10SLM Board with a cheap GPU (can't even remember what exactly) running and driving Dual 2560x1440 Screens for a while now.

VM's in Proxmox are also not so hard to setup and run quite well ... GPU passthrough and a (fast) way to remote-control with a Thin-Client with some other protocol than VNC - including magick trackpad - is still on my to-do.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Good luck, usually it's straight forward with clover. I have an E3-1231v3 on X10SLM Board with a cheap GPU (can't even remember what exactly) running and driving Dual 2560x1440 Screens for a while now.

VM's in Proxmox are also not so hard to setup and run quite well ... GPU passthrough and a (fast) way to remote-control with a Thin-Client with some other protocol than VNC - including magick trackpad - is still on my to-do.
How to install in ProxMox? Tried to boot from my flashdrive in the vm, i'm able to select the usb flash drive in the vm's bios splash screen but it locks up.

But I have not spent alot of time messing with installing on a vm.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
A quick run down on the install:

Created a account with tonymac86.com so I could download UniBeast and MultiBeast apps, UniBeast creates the installer flash drive and MultiBeast installed drivers and configures clover bootloader to allow you to boot into High Sierra from the SSD.

I wanted to install using the tonymac86 High Sierra install guide, but.... I do not have access to a Mac in order to download the installer from Apple's app store so.... I found a easier to install image from hackintoshzone.com.

Hackintoshzone's version installed pretty painlessly but its a hacked version of High Sierra so I can't be sure whats in it but it allowed me to download the installer from Apple and create the install flash drive to reinstall High Sierra using the tonymac86 guide.

It installed pretty easily, I did have issues with one flash drive that just did not want to work so I used a older smaller one.

I had an issue trying to download the full installer from Apple, seems to be a common issue even on real macs, so I found a program called "High Sierra patcher" that allows you to download the full installer then patch it for a hackintosh install.

I used it ONLY to download the 5.something gig install image from Apple and I DID NOT use it to patch the install image, I used UniBeast to create the install flash drive instead.

Once I did that, all in the hackintoshzone High Sierra install , then rebooted from my new install flash drive.

It locked up so I rebooted and selected verbose mode and seen that it had some sort of usb error so rechecked my bios settings and I found out the " Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled" was set to disabled so I changed it to "Enabled" as per the guide then rebooted into verbose mode again in clover.

Odd that it worked set to "disabled" in the first version of High Sierra but "enabled" fixed it.

So I went through the install following the tonymac86 guide and it installed fine.

After I rebooted, you have to boot off the flash drive and then select the ssd to boot into High Sierra then run MultiBeast selecting "quick start" to configure clover bootloader to be able to boot from the SSD without using the usb drive and install needed drivers.....audio, network, ect.

Then rebooted and pulled the flash drive out and booted off the SSD and it booted and I logged into the desktop with out issues except for one small one.

The small issue was no sound, motherboard has a Realtek ALC892 audio chipset and thats the driver I picked with MultiBeast but it did not work.

So I selected the latest Voodoo HDA universal driver then rebooted and now sound works perfectly.

Also am still using the Intel iGPU graphics and it runs really well, will try a RX video card later.

Last edited:

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
The hackintosh zone install had video glitches and did not correctly identify the intel iGPU, but this install correctly id's it and the desktop runs better and without the glitches.

Reactions: Patrick

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Pro tip......find a Mac to download and create a install flash drive.

It's doable without a mac but I had to do two installs to get the install that I wanted.

kapone

May 23, 2015
You guys are making this too difficult, it's much easier.

Use your google-fu to search for "virtual machine Mac OS download", and be careful where you download the virtual machine from. As an e.g.

macOS High Sierra Final by Techsviewer - Google Drive

This is a FULLY configured mac OS VM. Install VMware player on your windows machine (no mac required) and then use this VM to create your install media and go to town.

Reactions: leebo_28

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Eh, don't you have to run unlocker 2.x to unlock VMWare Player for OSX compatibility? VMWare Workstation/WS Player by default blocks OSX VMs.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Eh, don't you have to run unlocker 2.x to unlock VMWare Player for OSX compatibility? VMWare Workstation/WS Player by default blocks OSX VMs.
google-fu... :)

Hint: Oracle VM player.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
google-fu... :)
Hint: Oracle VM player.
Okay.

First of all, building/running Hackintoshes on bare metal is kinda pointless - I have been doing it since the 10.4 (Tiger) days when I got JaS 10.4.8 working on a ThinkPad X31 - actually had to hack kexts and soft SMCs to get things like QuartzXtreme going, and the next delta update essentially wiped it out. Suspend doesn't work, and the battery runtime is crap. Getting 10.5 (Leopard) to work on my AthlonXP (Barton) was even more of a pain since 10.4 required SSE3 and there's no support for it from my CPU. Getting it to work on my $200 Wind U100 was easier, but it kept freezing on a 10.5.4 delta update (the wifi is stable but the machine will kp randomly resuming from sleep). Considering how many software safeguards Apple placed into the OS and how every kernel or kext update is a potential showstopper (it'll either break some compatibility thing with your hardware, or introduce another software check that frankly require someone to spend time looking at it), I basically bought a MacBook Snow White in 2009 and never looked back. It was fun for like 2 months, then I realized that there are better consumers of my time. if you have extra hardware and don't mind the massive time drain, sure. But if your intent is to build and run a dedicated hackintosh? Don't. Just don't. Not unless you like your machine to be unreliable and virtually unpatchable.

Second of all, running it in a VM? It's a little bit better, but I only do it as an academic exercise. I have been doing that since 10.5 Leopard.

a) On VMWare (which is your best bet for things working out of the box...kinda), you'll need to unlock the hypervisor to allow OSX guests. VMWare uses the same hypervisor engine family for ESXi, Workstation/Player and Fusion (which is why you can use ESXi on Macs, and why Fusion can run OSX guests). Getting ESXi running OSX guests are possible in ESXi 5.5, but in 6.x VMWare added a few more checks, and every update seem to break more of it, to the point where donk's unlocker dropped support for it in the past 2 releases. WS/Player works decently in that as long as your hypervisor is unlocked and your vmx file is sane and kosher, it'll present a virtual Mac for the hypervisor to consume. So what's the issue? You'll need to create an ISO that can boot the OS and go to the installer screen - Apple does not exactly give you an installer ISO so you'll usually have to create it from the downloaded installer bundle (which means you'll need access to a physical MacOS machine) - which requires you to write a script to compose the ISO. Then you'll run into the fact that Apple did not release any sourcecode to VMWare to create an OpenGL/Metal driver for vmwgfx (the VMWare softGPU that can do hypervisor mediated calls to your 3D acceleration), so your VM is using software rendering. This breaks quite a number of apps that require OpenGL or Metal (like Maps or Facetime, for example). Well, at least inter-VM copy/paste works, as does window resolution matching on resize (since VMWare tools does have a Darwin/OSX port). I never tried using vmxnet3 to connect the VM to the outside world, but it'll likely not work, so you'll have to stick with e1000e. Minor OS updates (going from 10.13 to 10.13.6) will work well, but going from one release to another (10.11 to 10.13) will not work.
I pretty much treat those OSes as disposable and use Mac migration utility to hop from one OS release to the other (if I must).

b) On Virtualbox - the OSX guests can work if it's 10.11 (El Capitan) - anything after that and it'll black out on boot using a known good installer ISO file on a MacBook Air using even the newest release (how do I know? I run the freaking thing). To get it to work on a non-Mac you'll need to patch it manually yourself (probably need to add a fake SMC at the very least). No OpenGL/Metal support here either, and since VirtualBox extensions are not native on OSX, neither window resolution matching on resize nor inter-VM copy/paste does not work either. OSX virtualization isn't officially supported even on OSX hosts, so if something from Apple breaks the ability for the guests to boot up, well, you're SOL. So...eeeeeeh.

c) KVM? Eh, it's possible, but KVM itself is constantly under flux with the myriad of options added to it (virtio hypervisor mediated 3D support, PCIe VF passthroughs, Intel gVTg, macvtap, etc), so you'll likely have to patch it with a fake SMC and look at all the other stuff that Apple require for their OS to boot up - you might have to download the KVM source, patch it and then compile it yourself. This does implictly mean that you are locked to that custom binary build, and unless you did it using rpmbuild/debuild, it does not have the benefit of a sane, revertible install. Same boat as Virtualbox in terms of support for it both on a MacOS host...or not.

Given how much of a headache the entire thing turns out to be, I only compose a bootable ISO for each new OSX release, boot/create OSX VMs for VMware once a year, and then archive a copy. Also, you can easily buy a 2013+ (Haswell) MacBook Air with 8GB of RAM for roughly $400 on eBay these days, and they work just fine for most intents and purposes. (hint: dont buy anything older than 2012 - Apple is dropping support for anything older than 2012 in OSX Mojave - basically the Intel HD3000 is not Metal2 compatible, so that excludes most products made in 2011 and below (running a 2011 MacMini in ESXi is most likely okay, though))

That's why I don't really recommend making Hackintoshes.

Last edited:

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
The situation with Mojave is annoying to me. My 2010 Macbook Pro does everything I need it to, and has been upgraded with an SSD and 16GB of RAM. It's a great little machine that I can't get a newer version of because they stopped building decent machines. The current MBPs are crap and the obsession with USB-C, and the small number of ports is ridiculous. There's nothing "pro" about it. My only hope is that my MBP has a discrete GPU, so it MIGHT get a driver that can do Metal2, but I doubt it. And it would require using the d-GPU all the time, which isn't a great option on a board known to have solder problems with the GPUs, though I did get a new system board out of it. I'll probably have to run it till Apple stops providing security updates and switch it to Linux like I did with my Mini. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will make a worthwhile MBP, but it doesn't look that way.

On top of that, I despise Windows, so I actually can't buy a new laptop I want to spend real money on. Maybe I'll get a cheapish Air or something and an EPYC server I can run real applications on. Though if I do that, OSX isn't virtualization friendly, so I'll probably just skip the air and use a cheapish laptop with Linux on it as the client side. I actually liked the hardware and software in Mac land, but they have both been going downhill the past couple years, sadly. The iMac I bought last year for the kids might well be the last Apple machine I buy. Even that was only made acceptable with a USB3 SSD, since I can't just replace the included HDD without using a !@#$# pizza cutter to cut the screen off the machine. sigh.

kapone

May 23, 2015
The only reason to download and use the VM I mentioned, would be to create the install media, IF you don't already have a Mac. I certainly didn't mean to imply running it as a VM for regular use.

I thought that was clear, but if not, my apologies.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I never tried using vmxnet3 to connect the VM to the outside world, but it'll likely not work, so you'll have to stick with e1000e.
There is a native kext for vmxnet3 support now (since 10.11)!

VMXNET3 driver now included in Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)+

I've used it for a while and I've seen no stability issues.

Then you'll run into the fact that Apple did not release any sourcecode to VMWare to create an OpenGL/Metal driver for vmwgfx (the VMWare softGPU that can do hypervisor mediated calls to your 3D acceleration), so your VM is using software rendering.
This is absolutely true and is only getting worse in Mojave since more and more apps start to rely on Metal to render properly. I think Mojave starts to deprecate OpenGL actually. It is possible to passthrough a GPU to macOS on ESXi, but I've never gotten an AMD card to work past 10.11 (via ESXi passthrough), and NVidia is hit or miss with the Web Drivers for their newer cards.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
The only reason to download and use the VM I mentioned, would be to create the install media, IF you don't already have a Mac. I certainly didn't mean to imply running it as a VM for regular use.

I thought that was clear, but if not, my apologies.
Eeeeh. Let me get this straight...you'll need to run a copy of High Sierra to download High Sierra so you can install High Sierra?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
It is possible to passthrough a GPU to macOS on ESXi, but I've never gotten an AMD card to work past 10.11 (via ESXi passthrough), and NVidia is hit or miss with the Web Drivers for their newer cards.
Well, let's hope that VMWare gets some type of Metal emulation/hypervisor mediated GPU rendering for Mojave, or else VMWare OSX VMs will simply not work even on OSX guests. GPU Passthroughs? *eh....* That's like majorly pushing your luck. Assuming that ESXi is unlocked and can run OSX VMs on non-Macs, now we'll have to speculate on whether the hardware can do PCIe passthroughs properly (with proper IOMMU initiation, ACS and all that) or not, and whether OSX can see the passed GPU and initialize it properly.