Supermicro C7Z170 motherboards.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
There are multiple listings and sizes - ATX & mATX under $60 and the Auctions are sitting at no or very little bidding. Even the resent solds are with almost close to the starting price: $25+shipping. These are 1151 (6th and 7th gen core i3/) with onboard M.2 slot

Could be a good low cost desktop build with a nice board for some folks. I know the chip set is not the latest. DDR4 prices is a whole another story. May also need to get a cheap 6th gen CPU to update the bios if you want to use 7th gen.

C7Z170 in Motherboards | eBay

BobT

Aug 31, 2018
Too good to pass up. Got one for asking price, $24.99. What for?? I dunno, pfsense overkill, something...

BobT

Aug 31, 2018
Which did you get?

-j
It was the last one listed as Auction: a C7Z170-M mATX, open box. When I saw the thread this one had 7 minutes to go before the auction ended. Zero bids. I entered $25.99 when minimum was $24.99. Win or lose; I didn't care...

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
If you look at that seller's history, most of them have been sold at the min Bid. A month or so ago some were sold for < $12 + shipping.

No such luck with DDR4 though

Reactions: MiniKnight

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
I saw that 24.99 bid as well. The lacking of back-plate stopped me from clicking the button. The back-plate might be more expensive than the motherboard.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I bought a C7H170-M at that price few days ago. The pics didn't show the compartment under the MB. It had all the components unopened including the NVME screws. YMMV though.
Came with a super old bios. I have a 6th gen CPU so it wasn't an issue to put the latest.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
There is no compelling reason to go with SM's consumer boards. They are not of higher quality than Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.
Especially not their gamer series boards. Feels like it is made by a completely different department, which is perhaps why they want to go with the SuperO brand instead of SuperMicro.

If they wan't to really make a push and have an edge they can start with not having launch day issues with brand new platforms from Intel (Coffee Lake), and try to get into more distribution channels instead of piggy backing on existing server equipment distributors (that have stricter return policies compared to more consumer facing outlets). Sure you can say this is just anecdotal and I agree but that is also why I say there is no compelling reason over any other brand. Any brand can have duds.

Last edited:

_haru

Mar 24, 2018
Perth, Australia
There is no compelling reason to go with SM's consumer boards. They are not of higher quality than Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.
Especially not their gamer series boards. Feels like it is made by a completely different department, which is perhaps why they want to go with the SuperO brand instead of SuperMicro.
While I do agree, getting the board for $24.99 is a compelling reason IMO ;)