Mellanox dual port MHRH2A-XSR $7.50 OBO + S&H

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
To do 10GbE, one would need QSPF cable right? Not sure how much they for. At home, i'm thinking to do back-to-back connections without a switch and these would be nice to play with. What about heat generated by these, anyone?

Petas3

Feb 12, 2018
I have bought 8 single port ConnectX-2 cards earlier for 10US/1pc. These are good cards - you can do easy 10GbE (IPoIB) that goes close to 8Gbps on standard OSes. If you use Server OS you can utilize RDMA protocol v1.5 with access speeds up to 30Gbps (tested on ramdisk) - though for this feature you need to update firmware (not easy to get it now online - but i should be able to find it somewhere).

Cables are more expensive than cards unfortunately :). With these you can do 3-way cluster without a switch.

P.S.: As for the heat you need good airflow or a fan (cards overheat resulting in BSOD).

Reactions: fossxplorer

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
@fossxplorer - It appears adapter needs QSFP cables. For short 2 - 3 M, the QSFP DAC cables can be had for about $10 in US. I think the SFP+ DACs are also about the same price range. They are for different cards though.
Heat and airflow is a different story. Either this or SAS cards need some airflow especially if they are used in low noise desktop type chassis.

Petas3

Feb 12, 2018
Anyway this is the cheapest I have seen for dual 10Gbit (or more + RDMA 1.5) capable device. For experiments with peer to peer 10Gbit on the cheap there is nothing better. Additionaly for bigger setups you can get Mellanox IS5022 (can be modded for noise) - QDR 8 port switch (40Gbps IB) for less than 200 bucks to save somewhat on peer to peer cabling and complexity.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
So..tempted - that's basically VMWare iSER right there. That being said, getting the t730 to wick away 9w of power in that tiny chassis will be a struggle. Does anyone here own one? Just need to know how difficult it is to wire it up with a GPU fan...

Last edited:

Petas3

Feb 12, 2018
Just about any directed fan will work fine. Does not need to be mounted on the card itself.

I have 4 total single port of these across 3 machines. 2 machines / 1 card each dont have special cooling and are fine (but average case temps are low), in mainframe (hot tower server case about 60C) theres 2 cards above each other and without a fan blowing on pcie there were random BSODs - took me months to find out it was due to these cards overheating. Now with 1 fan blowing in the direction of pcie slots all is fine - long term stable.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
They're silly cheap if you just pick a couple up and use a QSFP DAC ($5-6/ea) connect two machines but once you start adding in QSFP to SFP+ adapters you have to tack on another $15-20 per port to be able to attach the card to a 10GbE switch. At that point you might be better off just buying SFP+ cards, even if they're $10 more.

@WANg I'm running an MHQH29C in one t730 (the last gen QDR CX-2 VPI) and it sits around 55C with the t730 fan at 4/6. The other t730 has a placeholder MPNA19 (single port 10GbE, $15/ea shipped) that runs ~28C at the same fan speed.

To do 10GbE, one would need QSPF cable right? Not sure how much they for. At home, i'm thinking to do back-to-back connections without a switch and these would be nice to play with. What about heat generated by these, anyone?
You can use NetApp QSFP DACs no problem, they're about $6-7/ea.

tymarand

Jan 21, 2022
I just bought two of these and they work great in InfiniBand mode between two Windows servers. I ordered tall brackets since they came with the short ones. Here is the info in case it is useful for someone else:

Description

FRU Tall bracket for 2-port QSFP adapter with gasket. Fits MHQH29C / MHRH29C / MHRH2A / MCX354A / MCX314A

Specifications

Product TypeMounting Bracket
Brand NameMellanox / NVIDIA
ManufacturerMellanox Technologies Ltd
Product NameMounting Bracket
Manufacturer Part NumberMTM000574
Manufacturer Website Address
CompatibilityMellanox Network Adapters:
  • MHQH29C
  • MHRH29C
  • MHRH2A
  • MCX354A