PfSesense Need Urgent Recomendation MB Died on me

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Soloam

Aug 21, 2018
Hello, my mb just died on me (a intel dq77kb started making a noise, like air cumming out of it noise, and started to power down)... I need do replace my current system asap, and I'll take the chance to improve to be compatible with future PfSesense 2.5.

So my needs:
  • I have a 1000/200 connection, I would like to take advantage of it
  • I use OpenVPN a lot
  • I must use Suricata
  • Noise is not a factor
  • Mini ITX system, I would like to keep my M350 case, but if I need i ca replace it with a M300 for example.
  • I don't want mb with integrated CPU, I prefere to have all components separated.
  • A lest dual intel NIC
I like a lot MB from SuperMicro, because I use a lot IPMI management on my other servers, if the MB haves IPMI or something like that that allows me to fully manage it without a monitor and keyboard, it would be great.

So need urgent recommendation to a MB and CPU, I prefere a bit overkill to be safe on the future, and the insurance will cover the material, so I can get better (not super expensive, but a lot better)

Please advice.
Thank You

Soloam

Aug 21, 2018
So my plan is going with

• Asus P10S-I
  • Intel Core i3-6100
  • 4 or 8 gb of ram
Recommendations?

Soloam

Aug 21, 2018
thank you for the recommendations, @MiniKnight i'll look at that. @WANg, thank you, but I don't want to have a Embedded system, I prefer to get all components in separated!

Thank You

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
You need/want components not SOC and you want to run a lot of stuff at high performance networking...

I would lean towards an Intel E3 v3 system you can get motherboards $70-$130+ CPUs are affordable and power-sipping now, enough cores and power to handle your VPN and networking.