SAS v SATA Power Plug

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Do SAS and SATA share the same power connector? For example can I use the same power connector for a SATA drive and a SAS drive.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
you can only use SAS connectors on SATA drives, not the other way around because SAS has a lockout pin.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I've been able to carefully cut the edge off a sata power and data connector and connect to a SAS drive. Been running without issues for the past 4 months.

But I am connecting the drive to a sas hba and not a sata port on the other end.

Reactions: DouglasteR

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I remember when doing some reading about the SATA and SAS connectors that while the power connector on an SAS drive looks the same as SATA, it is not. Can someone confirm/deny this?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I remember when doing some reading about the SATA and SAS connectors that while the power connector on an SAS drive looks the same as SATA, it is not. Can someone confirm/deny this?
A quick google of the pinouts shows that they are the same except for P11. On SAS this is marked as READY LED and on SATA it is reserved, optional, ground, etc. Based on the details provided by @K D above it seems this is not much of an issue.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
A quick google of the pinouts shows that they are the same except for P11. On SAS this is marked as READY LED and on SATA it is reserved, optional, ground, etc. Based on the details provided by @K D above it seems this is not much of an issue.
Thank you for the additional information.

DouglasteR

Dec 19, 2015
I've been able to carefully cut the edge off a sata power and data connector and connect to a SAS drive. Been running without issues for the past 4 months.

But I am connecting the drive to a sas hba and not a sata port on the other end.
Came here for this info ! Thanks.