Server Room Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
What are using for cooling. The mini-split. I do building automation for a living and specialize in critical systems and energy reduction for Data-Centers, Hospitals, Laboratories ect...
If you are truly in the desert swamp coolers are a great way to achieve cheap cooling. I live in Texas and have worked on closed loop swamp coolers for DC's with some great returns on investment. Also you can modulate leaving air temperature with this type of system to maintain a constant cold isle/ entering temp. (this can be accomplished with DX systems also but require digital scroll compressors).

Also if you are using the mini-split check to make sure you are not over capacity for your heat load. This can cause issues with high humidity due to short cycling of the system and not removing the moisture as needed. (I know its the desert but trust me) I have seen it rain in buildings and Data Centers at 110+ deg from HVAC issues that weren't thought about.

What temp are you planning on keeping your server room. Most DC's I work on now are running cold isles at 70-78 deg. These system always have secondary cooling loops for humidity control though.

Awesome Server room. I am jealous.

Reactions: Cool Runnings

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
I'm waiting on information from the HVAC guy for the mini split but it will probably be a 9k BTU unit. Using the formula for sizing, my load will be about 6.5k BTU. I've read with modern mini-splits and variable speed compressors, 80% is the sweet spot for efficiency. That gives me a little room to grow without being way over capacity.

There are a couple of reasons I'm not using a swamp cooler. I really hate them, I had a way over sized solar system installed so that I never have to use one again. I didn't want to deal with ducting for intake and exhaust to this room. Finally, with the amount of dust we get, filtering is pain in the ass. I'd be changing/cleaning the filters every 2 weeks or so.

I'll be keeping it at around 74. I might try to do a cold/hot isle but it's going to be awkward. I have to put the air handler on a side wall as there isn't enough room above the door. So my thought was to get freezer strip doors on either side of the rack to separate front and back. Then to build a lower ceiling for only the front/cold isle so that the air handler intake on top can only pull from the hot side.

Right now, I'm waiting for my electrician to have some free time so nothing is going on. I still need to install the door, attach the baseboards, clean the rack of drywall dust and fix/paint a hole from when we put the rack back in the room. At some point, I'll also finish the ceiling but that's lowest on my priority list.

Attachments

Reactions: leebo_28

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
Small update, all the electrical is done now. I have 2x 120v 30 amp and 1x 120v 20 amp circuits installed. Used 10/3 with ground so later it'll be easy to switch to 240v if I start acquiring those UPSs. Also had the cabling for the AC run, AC disconnect installed and a Nest Protect installed. Next up is getting the mini split installed but I have several big projects at working coming up so it could be a bit.

Reactions: TeeJayHoward