Smoking (US) Aquantia 5G/10G Cards for cheap

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

William

May 7, 2015
Good to hear, like you I have 3x ASUS cards and have had issues like you said.
I will look for new drivers and give them a try.

William

May 7, 2015
I have a couple of those also, they work but I did have some issues with Win 10 and those... don't remember what the work around was.

ConnectX 2 right ?

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
better … depends. simple answer is No.
I have both and I paid $100 for Aquantia and $12-$20 for the Mellanox.

different. Yes.
Mellanox uses SFP+ ports and needs fiber that goes to different rooms plus transceivers.
Aquantia has RJ45 ports and works with my standard copper cat5e wiring in the home.

On the rack I use SFP+ or QSFP+ since the cables are short and don't go through walls.
If I can terminate my multimode fiber next to my cat5e copper then I will just use the Mellanox.
I already bought the transceivers, they were cheap on ebay.

Of course the other big issue is switch cost, noise and transceiver compatibility.

Reactions: diskdiddler

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
I have a couple of those also, they work but I did have some issues with Win 10 and those... don't remember what the work around was.

ConnectX 2 right ?
for Windows 10 version 1803 I had to download special new drivers in WinOF (1803) from Mellanox. Previous versions of windows 10 just worked fine with older drivers. I verified RDMA was active. I did flash to newer RDMA capable firmware using other instructions on this site.

I have used these for ethernet and have not set them up for IBoIP … but I could run a test with some long fiber between rooms to a Mellanox switch in garage. Right now I am using ConnectX-3 over QSFP+ running IPoIB for server backbone. This is way easier to deal with compared to my old 4G fiber channel SAN.

Reactions: William

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017

Of course the other big issue is switch cost, noise and transceiver compatibility.

This is my only concern with moving to 10Gbit is this apparent issues with transceivers being incompatible.
Is this common? Isn't it all meant to be standardised?

I'm going to have to make sure I buy Mellanox compatible transceivers. I was going to go down the Aquantia route but it seems to me, surprisingly, that the Mellanox cards and a transceiver are about the same price, but with less power overhead. More likely to attain full 10Gbit and compatibility with my FreeNAS machine.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
There are threads here on transceivers that work but most of the issues are with the big boys that lock their units to only work with their transceivers.

I have the Mellanox working with the first 2 brands I tried which were from Arista and Avago.
I bought 8 from this seller who has 4 for 20.65 BO

Mellanox is likely more forgiving than Cisco

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
FYI: another one of my Asus Aquantia cards died. I just got an RMA from Asus to ship it back.
That's 2 out of 3, 1 DOA and 1 down in a year.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
After the Asus died I put in an Aquantia 5G card connected to my Asus XG-2008 switch.
it only connects at 1G, I thought that switch supported Nbase-T .. sigh.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Last edited:

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
That's insanely cheap. The 10Gb Mellanox cards can be as low as $35 US

That's a total of probably $45 US + a fibre cable. I dunno why I ever considered 10Gbit over copper. I should've done my reading.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
I get fiber optic cables for $4-$10 depending on length so $10 for 2 transceivers + say $5 for a short length is $15 cable.
But terminating my fiber in the wall costs more than that so its not fair to compare to my in wall Cat-5e. That makes the Aquantia 10G much cheaper overall since I need to cleave and connect fiber which costs a lot more than a simple wired connector.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Well I have a single 7meter run to my server, which has only ONE CAT6 cable anyhow.

When I update the server, to add IPMI, I need to run 2 cables anyhow.
I'm happy to do 1xCAT6 IPMI and 1xFibre for the link.

So I'm more than glad to switch to fibre in hindsight. I can't believe how cheap fibre is, I'm so shocked.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
I dunno why I ever considered 10Gbit over copper. I should've done my reading.
Sure but how can you connect different rooms back to the switch.
Even in my newer house which is 15 years old the in-wall Cat-5e is much easier to deal with than fiber. Depending on your home and room it could be difficult to pull the fiber. I am lucky enough to have in wall fiber in this house … and even terminating that is hard and expensive.

For 40G, I had to run fiber through the closet floor on 2nd story into my garage. The Mellanox cable with transceivers was $50 and I had to drill and do a lot more work. But QSFP is 4-pairs and I was happy with a $50 Mellanox cable. The 40G cards are also pretty cheap.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
The thing is, I really like the idea, in theory, of using my existing CAT5 / CAT6 for 2.5/5 and 10Gb over Ethernet, it seems very cool and techy to use old cables at higher speeds.

At the end of the day though, my loungeroom has

PS4, PS3, Laptop, Amplifier.
Even in 5 years time, a PS5 or even PS6 and new TV and better amp, NONE of them will have 10Gbit ethernet or fibre, Wireless AC or 1Gbit will be fine

So with that in mind, there's just my run from my Desktop PC to the switch (1.5 Metres) and my Switch to my Server in the kitchen (7 metres)
I can use one of those direct attach cables for the desktop.

I was being shortsighted - in this instance a switch with 8x1Gbit and 2x SFP+ is perfect for my needs.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Well I have a single 7meter run to my server
For runs over 5m which are easy to pull, fiber is pretty simple and not that expensive if you buy used.
I did this a few years ago for 4G Fibrechannel which was down to $2.50 per port near the end. I think the cables cost more than the ports then.

Cat-5e is best when its in the wall already and requires no additional wiring through walls, floors etc.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
Even in 5 years time, a PS5 or even PS6 and new TV and better amp, NONE of them will have 10Gbit ethernet or fibre, Wireless AC or 1Gbit will be fine.
My wife asked me what benefit there was to 10G, especially in the family room with the equipment you mentioned … and she has a EE degree.
I just want to light the fiber that was installed by the previous owner who thought some day this will be handy.

And after 20+years in marketing … answering questions on benefits is easy :)