Supermicro A1SAi/Atom C2000 Series Motherboards - rev 1.0c vs 1.1? - AVR54 Bug?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

abq

May 23, 2015
Hello All,

My Google-Fu appears to be weak ! I cannot find anything definitive on what is difference between Rev 1.0C and Rev 1.1 for Supermicro Atom 2000 series motherboards. I have been assuming the Rev 1.1 have the AVR54 bug fix, but I would like to find something definitive in writing. Thought I would try here, before opening a Supermicro trouble ticket for answer.

Thank You,
ABQ

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Is your goal to avoid a RMA? Or are you trying to avoid another issue, or get some other features?

I have 3, one is a slightly different variation (no clue what makes it that way) and SM did RMA and fix on all 3.
I haven't opened them back-up from SM yet but I can check my borads to see if one is a 1c or 1.1, etc...
I actually assumed they were all 3 identical until SM categorized my 3 board RMA into 2 categories by specific revision.

doup93

Feb 26, 2013
If I have a Supermicro board (A1SAM-2550f) that's used for a pfsense box but haven't had any issues with it yet, should I get it RMA'd anyway?

Bought it in October 2015.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
@doup93 Now that you’ve asked the question you need to apply Murphy’s Law. It’s going to fail at the most inconvenient time possible. Yes, get it RMA’ed and find an alternative machine to run pfsense on in the meantime.

Reactions: doup93

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
@abq I have an official reply from SM about this question where they characterize fixed new mainboards as those shipping since a certain date. I don’t know about rev. numbers but we could do some correlation work. In fact, I still purchase new SM C2000 boards because AVR.54 is fixed and C3000 boards still have all sorts of compatibility issues.

Reactions: Tha_14

abq

May 23, 2015
@T-Minus
Of course I would like to minimize un-needed RMAs;). I am trying to understand what is difference between Rev 1.0C and Rev 1.1 for Supermicro Atom 2000 series motherboards. I have been guessing the Rev 1.1 have the AVR54 bug fix.

@ullbeking
Any useful information is appreciated :) ...All of my non-rev 1.1 motherboards were accepted for RMA by Supermicro. I strongly suspect rev 1.1 have bug fix. I do not believe Supermicro remarks any rev 1.0 motherboards with new rev 1.1 after fix - at least not on mine.

Is your goal to avoid a RMA? Or are you trying to avoid another issue, or get some other features?

I have 3, one is a slightly different variation (no clue what makes it that way) and SM did RMA and fix on all 3.
I haven't opened them back-up from SM yet but I can check my borads to see if one is a 1c or 1.1, etc...
I actually assumed they were all 3 identical until SM categorized my 3 board RMA into 2 categories by specific revision.

Reactions: Tha_14

Jyrki

May 14, 2013
Does Supermicro still accept RMA for C2000 boards purchased 2013/Q4? How their RMA process works for a home user in EU, mainly shipping in practice?

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Does Supermicro still accept RMA for C2000 boards purchased 2013/Q4? How their RMA process works for a home user in EU, mainly shipping in practice?
Good question, I don’t know. I have a few that are going to colo so I need them RMA’ed. I’ve got to find them all, though, and wrote to SM with serial numbers and see if they will RMA mine.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I first contacted SM over a year ago with a view of getting a pair of boards replaced. I’m in the uk and I’d purchased from a us seller via eBay simply because I could not source the boards in EMEA. They agreed a year ago to replace them for me but me being a little lazy decided that I’d be fine and so would the boards.
Then a couple of months ago one that had been running pfsense for years went bang and would not boot. I was busy and didn’t have the time (or inclination) to debug it at the time. I got a usg pro (got seduced by the pretties) on next day delivery and moved on.
This week I decided to try and revive the board. After several attempts it did boot but does little else than throw nmi errors and kernel panics. So today I contacted SM again to try again for a rma. They told me they will replace it but only if it is the avr issue. So I’m not really sure how they’ll go about that, whether they’ll swap it if there is no obvious physical damage or whether they’ll only swap it if it won’t boot as opposed to the earlier agreement to swap it even if it was still working at the time.

I’ll get it posted to them this week and let you folks know how it goes. If they do replace it, I’ll send the other when I get it back.

From my dealings with them they seem willing to help but remains to be seen how much

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
I just got a notification from UPS that I have a package on the way back from Supermicro NL. Nothing from Supermicro themselves as yet, so I don't know if they've replaced the board or are just returning what I sent them...

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
Got the board back. It looks to be the same board that I returned, at least the serial number is the same. They did update the bios and the back firmware. Sceptically I connected it up and switched it on. It’s been running since Friday morning and haven’t seen any issues

Jyrki

May 14, 2013
Got the board back. It looks to be the same board that I returned, at least the serial number is the same. They did update the bios and the back firmware. Sceptically I connected it up and switched it on. It’s been running since Friday morning and haven’t seen any issues
I it really is the same board, could you post high resolution photos of mod wires and resistors they soldered?