Wiring my apartment with MPO with 12/24+fibers vs single mode cables

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
I planning on getting a completely new apartment, built from scratch. When it comes to wiring fiber in my apartment I've been thinking a lot about single mode fiber (1310nm). For 10G speeds the transceivers are not that expensive, but beyond 10G my wallet starts to hurt. I guess it is possible to find good deal on high speed transceivers on Ebay if one is patient.

For future proofing and speeds beyond 100G, single mode fiber is the safest bet? Or is MTP/MPO with many fibers a good alternative? What would you do and why?

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Single mode fiber in the home is very dangerous. The laser can burn your eyes. Are you really talking about Multi-mode fiber?

and the real question is why fiber? Cat6/7 can do similar and cost less to install. I agree with @j_h_o, having conduit is more important than what you actually run.

Chris

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I would get Multimode fibers, transceivers are cheaper and i won't need more than 100meters.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I'm on board the conduit train. It will let you run whatever you think is best now, and when that eventually changes you won't be stuck with an expensive/difficult switch. Also when you eventually go to sell you can replace the fiber with something a little more recognizable and useful to buyers.

Reactions: arglebargle

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
I'll third the conduit suggestion.

I rent and I've run cable 2-3 times from the basement to my office above the garage. I'm about to do another run using multimode and I'm definitely installing conduit first this time, this would have been so much easier if I'd just run it in the first place.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Cisco have 40/100 BiDi trancevers in MM
That is where I see most of the action for now over SM as the MM is cheaper but hey if it’s MPO then run both and have a MM and SM cassette terminations.
Conduit is anyway anyway the way to go and leave pull through cables to just pull through what you want later if a change is needed.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Another +1 for Conduit.

You'll be safe. Just make sure that you run some that can fit two ethernet cables or whatever you might end up throwing at them.. :)

Reactions: arglebargle

rune-san

Feb 7, 2014
An LC connector is roughly 13mm across, or a bit more than half an inch. You also want to be able to pull a cable with cables already inside, so I'd recommend 3/4" conduit.

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Thank you for your suggestions, yeah a conduit with enough room for any cable would be awesome. But how would you deal with the endpoints? A huge conduit would create a large hole in the wall? I was thinking about using these 4-Port Duplex LC Fiber Optic Wall Plate Outlet | FS.COM ?

And I guess you are talking about a conduit behind the wall? There are some regulations there that I need to think about, but I think it should work.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
If you're opening up the wall for this (or if they're already open since its new construction), consider running the cables you need outside the conduit and leave the conduit empty (except for a pull string which you replace every time you pull a cable thru) for future use. If you don't see yourself staying at this apartment for long and the fiber is expensive, then pull it thru the conduit so you can easily retrieve it when you move.

There are also rules on how big of a hole and where you can drill thru on wooden studs/joists. Since you're in an apartment, the studs may be aluminum and would have knockouts already in them for passing cable/conduit thru.