Do Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN 10GbE Cards work in FreeNAS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

esses

Mar 12, 2018
10gbe performance iperf from Linux (Fedora 27) is AWFUL - 13 Mbit/s to the same client.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
weird, should not be that bad. My perf is significant better in FreeNas.
Can you do ESX to FN iperf check?

esses

Mar 12, 2018
Looks like it was the Finisar gbic / optical cable. Moving back to twinax gives me a more respectable iperf score and a file xfer in the 300-400mb/sec range.

Reactions: Rand__

esses

Mar 12, 2018
ConnectX3 cards arrived, flashed in Windows 10 correct firmware aaand..

FreeNAS still comes up with a "NO IRQ's left" error message on passthrough, which is still my preferred solution. What a pain in the neck.

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
Did you write that FreeNAS Guide? Thank you.
I'm looking at going to 10G one day and I've been really adamant about having it over copper.
I've started re-thinking that in the last few days when I hear you can buy 10GB SFP cards for $40 on ebay and the modules can be cheap.

JustinClift

Oct 5, 2014
@diskdiddler When you say adamant about having it over copper, are you meaning (say) direct connections between two computers only?

With the stuff I've been doing for the last year or so, it's mostly just direct connections between a FreeNAS box and various other PC's using direct attach cables. That's pretty easy to do, and yep the cards are very cheap on Ebay.

JustinClift

Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, FreeNAS 9.3 is very, very old now. That didn't have the Mellanox drivers in it, so it's not surprising they weren't seen. Any of the recent FreeNAS releases (eg 11.x) should see them fine. If they're not seen with that, it'll probably just mean the firmware needs updating on the cards. There has been the occasional report like that, and it's 99.5% of the time due to really old firmware. Fixable by flashing.

Does that help? :)

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I can confirm that the CX2 and CX3 10G cards work in Freenas as does the CX3 40G cards.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
also confirming Connectx3 40gbE cards work great in freenas, this is an iperf test from my hypervisor, through a stack of ICX6610's to the freenas box with 8 threads:

Code:
[SUM]  0.0-10.0 sec  46.1 GBytes  39.6 Gbits/sec

diskdiddler

Mar 3, 2017
@diskdiddler When you say adamant about having it over copper, are you meaning (say) direct connections between two computers only?

With the stuff I've been doing for the last year or so, it's mostly just direct connections between a FreeNAS box and various other PC's using direct attach cables. That's pretty easy to do, and yep the cards are very cheap on Ebay.
I was not aware of the low price of fibre / sfp+ gear.
Looking up prices, the cheapest I can possibly get a 10Gbit 10-BASET card from Aquantia is about $80 US and I'm not convinced it's got FreeBSD support either.

Whereas if I get over my obsession with copper only, I could lay a second cable to my NAS (fibre) and use the existing copper for IPMI when I upgrade to a real NAS.

The Mellanox cards look to be older than Aquantia, supported, right now in FreeBSD and one of my 2 systems could just run DAC / Twinax, saving me even more money.

Reactions: JustinClift

esses

Mar 12, 2018
So weirdly enough, I upgraded esxi to 6.7, completely reconfigured the network with seperate vmkernels and port groups, and now the dual 40gbe cards are humming along perfectly.

I think it might have been a combination VMware issue with their new html5 ui (because frankly the thing is full of very strange bugs all over the shop) and my own incompetence.

Passthrough on the other hand still doesn't work at all, with the same error message about IRQs.

I guess for my purposes this might work better since at least now the physical 40gbe links are also available to other VMs, not just Freenas.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help!

Reactions: JustinClift