BRAND NEW HGST 4TB SAS HUS726040ALS214 for under $70 ($55 for qty >= 10)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I directly emailed him last week and am still waiting on a reply....really hope I didn't miss the chance to get these at $55

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I haven't been too happy with the communication of this seller...takes forever to respond. Additionally, I had asked (via ebay) if I create a return request for the 2 bad drives if they could simply send me replacements rather than refund. Well....the price went up $20/drive, my return made it there, and sure enough, refund instead of replacement.

I've asked if they would honor original pricing for 2 more drives since I had asked them to be replaced, but no response.

edit: the ebay listing now says "limited quantity available", so maybe that has something to do with it

Last edited:

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
scott's email address is in the OP. I recommend you guys contact them directly via Scott. At least with my dealings, the people they have responding to ebay were not that helpful. Scott took care of my 2 problematic drives without questions and quickly. I also got a better price contacting Scott directly; so if you're looking for the $55 price, best to contact Scott. It's also been over a month since I started this thread, and a week longer since i first ordered (via ebay was my 1st 2 orders, the larger order later was direct with Scott), so they may be starting to run low on inventory.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Emailed scott a week ago, never heard back. I was hoping to buy a large quantity of drives too, which sucks. Don't think I'll find another deal this good on 4tb sas spinners

nle

Oct 24, 2012
I think he might be getting a lot of e-mails, because the response time is pretty slow atm.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Just confirmed with Scott that they are down to limited stock and are no longer cutting deals

Damn :/

edit: only 6 left!

Last edited:

nle

Oct 24, 2012
I'm having problems getting a reply from Scott.
  • First the 30th of May I sent an e-mail notifying him that at least one of the drives I got is defective, but that I would test the rest and get back to him.
  • The 12th of June I sent an updated mail, stating that two of the seven drives is defective.
  • June 18th I sent a reminder e-mail, and got a reply an hour later stating that I could ship them back (cheapest way possible) and get a refund.
  • I replied half an hour later saying that I if possible would really like to get two replacement drives, and asked what he thought about me just shipping the logic boards to save on shipping (as @Terry Kennedy suggested here).
  • I've since sent a couple reminder e-mails (on the 21th and 26th of June), but not gotten any response.
Any one else heard from him, since the 18th?

I'm guessing it could be hard to get replacements if he's out of stock.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm having problems getting a reply from Scott.
  • First the 30th of May I sent an e-mail notifying him that at least one of the drives I got is defective, but that I would test the rest and get back to him.
  • The 12th of June I sent an updated mail, stating that two of the seven drives is defective.
  • June 18th I sent a reminder e-mail, and got a reply an hour later stating that I could ship them back (cheapest way possible) and get a refund.
  • I replied half an hour later saying that I if possible would really like to get two replacement drives, and asked what he thought about me just shipping the logic boards to save on shipping (as @Terry Kennedy suggested here).
  • I've since sent a couple reminder e-mails (on the 21th and 26th of June), but not gotten any response.
Any one else heard from him, since the 18th?

I'm guessing it could be hard to get replacements if he's out of stock.
I exchanged emails with Scott yesterday. Apparently he also missed a few messages I sent him asking for return shipping label to ship back the faulty drives I received. It would appear that maybe he gets a lot of emails or has a really bad spam filter.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
yeah, it was like pulling teeth getting him to reply to my emails. Considering he's totally out of these drives, I would just use the normal ebay contact and request a refund

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Got my shipment of 15 drives....they were all individually wrapped with one layer of thin bubble wrap then loosely stacked on eachother and put in a box with no other padding. There was about and inch and a half on each side for the stacks of drives to bounce around, looks like on one side the moving stack managed to punch a small hole in the box.

will report back in about a week when I find the time and energy to test them all

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Got my shipment of 15 drives....they were all individually wrapped with one layer of thin bubble wrap then loosely stacked on eachother and put in a box with no other padding. There was about and inch and a half on each side for the stacks of drives to bounce around, looks like on one side the moving stack managed to punch a small hole in the box.

will report back in about a week when I find the time and energy to test them all
that doesn't sound great at all. it's like their packing methods are getting worse and worse... as you saw in my OP here, it was initially great. my 3rd order was still okay, but not as great as the 1st 2 orders. and now this... based on these experiences, I feel like I need to rescind my recommendation of this vendor. I was really impressed with my 1st 2 orders; heat sealed anti-static bags, very generous foam packing, and they even included a free disposable anti-static wrist strap! I don't know what happened to these guys....

Reactions: fohdeesha

aero

Apr 27, 2016
I had a similar packaging experience. The first shipment I received was excellent, thick foam filling up a large box. The next one had a single layer of small-bubble wrap around the drives and that was about it...lots of room for them to bounce around in the box too. Luckily, all drives from the second shipment tested fine.

AFisher

Jun 2, 2017
After all kinds of hardware issues in my SAN\NAS I was able to get these drives tested out of the 20 I purchased 5 were bad. I ended up using the seagate utility to test SMART, and then short generic test, and finely a long generic test, both of the later are supposed to read\write to the drive.

after that, I had a bear of a time getting FreeNAS to utilize the drives, I tried almost everything, from gparted live to <dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da## bs=512 count=1 (or any number)> finely after days of nothing, sg_format fixed the 15 drives I have.

I have attempted to reach out to scott and Synergy still have not heard back from them, I'm going to attempt again, but believe I'll be stuck with 5 bad drives

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Just use the built in eBay file an item return thing, I also had bad drives and they replied instantly to a return case being opened. Scott has decidedly given up on replying to emails so I wouldn't go that route anymore

AFisher

Jun 2, 2017
Just use the built in eBay file an item return thing, I also had bad drives and they replied instantly to a return case being opened. Scott has decidedly given up on replying to emails so I wouldn't go that route anymore
Unfortunately I did not buy through ebay, I paid via paypal and was going to use the Paypal system for return

andy

Oct 10, 2016
Canada
After all kinds of hardware issues in my SAN\NAS I was able to get these drives tested out of the 20 I purchased 5 were bad. I ended up using the seagate utility to test SMART, and then short generic test, and finely a long generic test, both of the later are supposed to read\write to the drive.

after that, I had a bear of a time getting FreeNAS to utilize the drives, I tried almost everything, from gparted live to <dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da## bs=512 count=1 (or any number)> finely after days of nothing, sg_format fixed the 15 drives I have.

I have attempted to reach out to scott and Synergy still have not heard back from them, I'm going to attempt again, but believe I'll be stuck with 5 bad drives

Did you figure out anything for the 5 drives? I'm getting issues on formatting some of mine and sg_format "works" but only goes on for about 10 seconds. And I can't partition the drive at all!

Attachments

AFisher

Jun 2, 2017
Yeah, Scott finely responded to my email and I have returned the 5 bad drives... unfortunately they have no others in stock so I got a refund.
all my other drives that tested as good, have finely been formatted and are now in use in FreeNAS, for me the trick was the sg_format:
sg_format --format /dev/adX​
Where X is the number of the drive, for me it was 0 though 15

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I ended up with 5 bad drives too (out of my order of 15). 3 that wouldn't even be recognized and failed to spin up completely, and 2 that would be recognized but could not be initialized/formatted by sg_format or any other application requiring disk access. With this many drive failures in a single batch I'm wondering if it was the poor packing