Help arranging a home network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fsck

Oct 10, 2013
Hi all. So I'm a bit of network beginner. I was wondering if there was a better way to arrange this network, it's hilariously simple compared to any serious deployments, but I feel like I might be missing something. I have been sleep deprived while setting this up so errors are probably crop up.

I'm a single user, in an apartment, with the occasional guest. Thus, I don't really *need* VLANs because I haven't been able to get them working well on my GS1910. However, I may update my electronics lab at some point with gear from my lifetime with ethernet instead of GPIB/RS232, so having a set up that can easily set up VLANs would be beneficial.

Stuff is in the kitchen because that's the central area, where I have the most space and cooling. My portable AC unit is located in the kitchen.

The living room 6610 was supposed to be a 6450, but I got a deal on a 6610 so I just went with the flow.
I'm also in Canada, so adding an extra switch (instead of just having it all off one switch) seemed to be cheaper than having to buy/route/tape cabling for all the 10G workstations.

There are currently 5 servers, 3 workstations and 3 laptops in use.

Home_network.jpeg

I'm a chemistry student, so I really just want everything to work without headaches until I have time to tinker with it.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

kapone

May 23, 2015
Seems a little "scattered". There has to be a way to consolidate systems in one space, wherever that is, kitchen or living room. Running two 6610s, you're looking at ~230-240w just for the switches...

fsck

Oct 10, 2013
I could run everything off one switch but I'd need to do 3 runs of fiber and 10 ethernet for like 50ft a piece.

Or, I could run 3 fiber and 1 ethernet and keep my GS1910. Frankly, I don't think there's a good way to run everything off one switch which is why I'm asking for help.

kapone

May 23, 2015
How about running your dual WAN CAT cables all the way to the living room? Is that a possibility?

(That would be just two cables...)

fsck

Oct 10, 2013
Then I'd need to run fiber back into the kitchen for the servers.

Right now, everything is on one switch, but it's all plain gigabit.

I want to move all my high power/high heat stuff into the kitchen for better temperature management of my apartment.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Then I'd need to run fiber back into the kitchen for the servers.

Right now, everything is on one switch, but it's all plain gigabit.

I want to move all my high power/high heat stuff into the kitchen for better temperature management of my apartment.
That's what I was trying to say earlier. Move the "servers" to the living room? or move the "workstations" other systems to the kitchen?

Still trying to wrap my head around this.

Can you list the systems you have?

fsck

Oct 10, 2013
This is what I'd want to do:

Kitchen: NAS1, NAS2, VM1, VM2, VM3
Living Room: WK1, WK2, WK3, LTP1, LTP2, LTP3, UnimportantSystems

Right now, everything is in the living room.
I don't know if I'm explaining myself well.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
What I would do is keep the "core" 6610, and grab a cheap ICX6450 for the living room and trunk to it with a single 10gbe run. It's near silent, and draws almost no power - both things you want for a living room switch. You can also stack a 6450 with the master 6610, so they are configured and appear as one switch, but with a lot of ports. makes management quite simple

Reactions: tommybackeast