Ultimate Dell EMC PowerEdge R7415 Review Top 1P 2U EPYC Today

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
A few notes about this article.

It is funny how Dell EMC advertises heavily about how this model can save licensing cost for vSAN, but they ship you guys a server with a PERC H740P, which isn't supported/certified for vSAN (as it doesn't offer a pass-through mode). Even for ProxMox or any other ZFS type solution you probably should avoid this specific raid controller.

The iDRAC coverage (page 4) has the R7415's interface for the first and second images, but an R640 for the third image and a 'dual 28-core CPU server for the fourth image (possibly the same R640).

Reactions: eva2000

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That’s funny about the PERC but I expect they think with the average performance of vSAN most people will pack it with NVMe drives to make it better than average.

A standard datacenter Windows license is 16 cores, are most people stopping here or going bigger ?
(I understand a lot of companies do not have such limitations so maybe that’s more than some and actually the majority)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
They also shipped us a single box not multiple so testing vSAN would have been hard. We also only had 2x NVMe SSDs.

Edu

Aug 8, 2017
So, NVMe hot plug only works on Dell servers, or are there other manufactures that managed to get that feature working?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
On the Intel Xeon side, it took several months between feature announcement and implementation. Now, every system I see has NVMe hot swap support on the Xeon side.

On the EPYC see https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-v-intel-xeon-scalable-taking-stock-of-myths-july-2017/ under "PCIe is Not Always the PCIe You Expect". Vendors have slowly added this feature. I was at Tyan this week and they think that their latest BIOS update coming out will offer NVMe hot swap. I believe Supermicro does not (told it should be soon.) ASRR does not. The last time we tried Gigabyte it did not. HPE can. Some of the ODM models cannot.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Can confirm HPE DL380 Gen10 NVMe hotswap does work.
(Windows Server 2016 and RHEL7, didn’t bother testing anything old)