Best Bootable dvd image

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I have been searching the internet for a bootable DVD image do I can run tests on the hard drive of a desktop, all I have been getting is how to burn an iso image to a dvd. I would also like to be able to wipe the hard drive clean.

Does anyone have any advice on what would be a good bootable iso image for my intended use?

Last edited:

turgin

May 16, 2016
I've used Ultimate Boot CD in the past for many things. It'll probably do what you need.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Does the desktop version include hard drive utilities for troubleshooting hard drives? If so what are these utilities?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
A DVD iso from Fedora or Ubuntu will let you do pretty much everything you want. Install extra SW if needed etc. Can also make USB keys out of them and get persistent storage with a little extra work.
I keep a recent Fedora USB key around in my laptop bag for fixing or debugging servers and desktops. Can even repair and backup windows boxes when you visit family and they say "Oh can you take a look at...."

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I use Mate Desktop for pretty much anything of a temporary nature, and have a few installs too, it's awesome, reliable and does everything I'll ever need and much more besides. A question like this, is like asking everyone what their favourite ice cream flavour is. It's highly subjective, so expect a gazillion different answers, try them all and go with the flavour you like best :D

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Windows pe (+ Diskpart, winhex etc. ) For Windows Systems
Ubuntu
Trinity rescue kit