QNAP now selling Nbase-T 10gbe switches

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Just saw over on amazon that QNAP has a couple of NBase-T switches for sale now. Could be interesting however they are unmanaged. Comes with rackmounts and appear to be fairly quiet the larger one is rated at 18.7 dB(A)

Smaller one is 8 ports 10gbe sfp+ with 4 of those shared with Nbase-T ports - 489$
Larger one is 12 SFP+ ports with 8 of those shared with Nbase-T ports -573$

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CDJ9YG...49e5e94637fd&ie=UTF8&qid=1531137040&sr=2&th=1

QNAP spec page for the 12 port
10GbE Switch: QSW-1208-8C - Hardware Spec

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
18.7dba is quiet right? Not silent but that's not too loud to be in your office. Right?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
The netgear XS708T which was tested on here and recomended as a quiet switch and good for in office use was 23-30dba

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
18.7dba is quiet right? Not silent but that's not too loud to be in your office. Right?
Depending on the characteristics of the sound, that is dead silent:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/projects/sixer/loud.pdf

Most high-end fans marketed as silent are within 17-20dBa. Unless they picked a fan with particularly annoying noise characteristics (which will be audible regardless of loudness, depending on your hearing ability and environment), that's superb.

Aluminum

Sep 7, 2012
Cheaper than the similar netgear N-Base T with similar number of copper ports, especially if you consider these have way more SFP+ versus 1 or 2.

Competition is good. "Smart" switches are not the smart option more often than not in my experience (maybe 2:1 ish) since many people try to hodge-podge things with them that really should be done on a router/firewall, or are really doing as a result of bad network design.

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Cheaper than the similar netgear N-Base T with similar number of copper ports, especially if you consider these have way more SFP+ versus 1 or 2.

Competition is good. "Smart" switches are not the smart option more often than not in my experience (maybe 2:1 ish) since many people try to hodge-podge things with them that really should be done on a router/firewall, or are really doing as a result of bad network design.

I'd contend that smart switches are better for every case. Even in a simple topology it allows you to check negotiated speeds, errors, discards, utilization, etc. I gladly pay up for just that alone. Agreed though that people can get into trouble with spanning tree and other advanced features when they don't understand it.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Static routing and L3 VLAN’s. Can’t say I use much more than that in a small home environment but really need VLAN switching, even makes your firewall implementation easier.

Reactions: herby