Any other vendors of JBOD chassis like supermicro?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
The title may not be fully correct, but basically what I'm trying to find is another vendor similar to Supermicro that produces chassis for DIY type builds. I'm looking at adding 2.5" JBOD storage to my existing home file server, and while this might sound dumb, the way something looks has some bearing on this. I had come across a Quanta S210-x12 (STRATOS S210-X12RS | 1U Rackmount Server | QCT.io) chassis that looks particularly cool (I like the blue), but after careful examination of the photos, the PSUs connect directly to the motherboard, so it might be hard for me to rip the motherboard out and use the chassis as just a JBOD enclosure (the SAS cables would probably need to be lengthen as well). I currently have dell servers in my rack (and a 4U Supermicro chassis), but I would replace that at some point if I could find a decent alternative.

So far, I've found the following:
Chenbro - Products (doesn't appear to be available anywhere)
https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/1029/SYS-1029U-TN10RT.cfm?parts=SHOW (NVMe, chassis doesn't appear to be available on its own)

Using a dell server is probably out of the question since they're also connected to the motherboard, and Norco doesn't seem to make 2.5" chassis (plus they look cheap).

TLDR; Looking for a 2.5" enclosure (1u/2u) that doesn't look quite as ugly as supermicro, but that I can build a JBOD out of.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
I sell some custom chassis, but they are not cheap.
Thanks, but I was looking for something either readily available on the used market (HP/Dell/etc), or that was lower cost (norco, chenbro, etc). This is a home lab, not a datacenter :) .

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Unless you are planning to isolate in the garage or away from living areas, I'd recommend staying away from 1u and even 2u for noise reasons.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
Unless you are planning to isolate in the garage or away from living areas, I'd recommend staying away from 1u and even 2u for noise reasons.
It is, and everything runs in energy efficient mode to reduce noise. Currently have the following:

2 x Poweredge R230
1 x Supermicro 4u SC846 Chassis (24bay) with 18x 8TB WD Reds + 4 core Xeon-D board (storage)
1 x Supermicro 6027TR-DTRF 2u dual node server (kubernetes)

These combined don't penetrate the house (enclosed rack in the corner of the garage, 3 story town-house)

I'm looking for a decent 2u 24 bay chassis to start tossing SSDs in with an expander to add to the 4u enclosure for dual storage (slow & large + fast and small) for the kubernetes cluster. Supermicro hardware looks like garbage though (although not as bad as norco). was looking for a different vendor to choose from for the SSD array (which will be near silent as well)

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
I know this reply is late to the party but you mentioned you already have Dell servers and you said you really just want a 2.5" JBOD. Why not look at the Powervault MD1220? It basically exactly what your looking for and honestly extremely low cost. I've picked up a couple on eBay for $200/EA shipped and filled them full of Seagate 5TB 2.5" drives.

As to the chenbro stuff, I know you can get some of the chassis on Provantage or even Superbiiz.

openstackorbust

Jan 12, 2017
I didn't even know they made >2TB 2.5" drives. How much were you able to pick those up for? Amazon is showing 160$ which is a little bit high.