FS 1u Supermicro X9SCL-F, E3 1270, 4x 2.5" 5TB server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
For sale: 1u Supermicro server
Chassis SC 113
PSU PWS-562-1H 560W
MB X9SCL-F
CPU E3 1270 3.4GHz Ivy Bridge
RAM 4x 2GB DDR3 1333 ECC
SAS Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL
SSD 180GB Intel Pro 1500
HDD 4x 5TB Seagate ST5000LM000 2.5"

I would prefer to sell as a bundle but I am willing to sell the drives separate if someone buys the server first.
Inner rails included, I do not have outer rails. IMPI has been reset to the default ADMIN password.
Paypal and XMR are good or cash if you are near Austin, TX. I will cover shipping to the lower 48.

Bundle price $600
Server minus drives and SAS controller $300

(available if server sells without drives)
4x 5TB Seagate ST5000LM000 2.5" $75 ea

Last edited:

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
Looks like a nice setup! What was this used for? I know nothing about the RocketRAID card. Their site lists lots of RAID modes plus JBOD..do you know anything about this? What mode(s) have you used for it? Do you know how the attached drives are presented to the OS in JBOD mode? I could always use a different HBA but I thought you might have some info on this, thanks!

Edit: Have any SMART data for the drives?

Last edited:

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
This was one of my home servers. The RAID card is nothing fancy. Right now I have windows 10 on the server so I can get more screenshots if needed, I will erase the SSD before shipping. The four 5TB drives show up in windows directly but smart data is not passed through unless the card is flashed with the non RAID bios. I took the screenshots with the drives on a external USB dock to get smart data.

I have only used the RAID card in RAID 1 and 10. I do not run the 5TB drives in RAID, they are shucked from USB chassis and can drop from RAID when writes are delayed by firmware. Specs are support for RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, 50 and JBOD.

Last edited:

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
Thanks for the detailed response. Have the drives sold? If not then could you elaborate on the "can drop from RAID b/c of firmware" is that the Rocket card firmware or the drive firmware? Smart data looks good on the drives

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Right now my focus is on selling the system as a whole with the drives. If someone wants just the server then the drives will be available separately.

Dropping from RAID is something many consumer drives can do including these 5TB ones. Its in the drive firmware to delay if they need to recover which doesn't always play well with RAID. I just want the potential issue to be known before anyone purchases so there isn't any confusion. Here is the STH thread on the 4TB and 5 TB 2.5" drives with some good info.