LSI 9340-8i - $89.99 BIN, free ship (M1215)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
that is pretty decent. i just wish i could find some 9300-8i instead. i have a 2U system that needs some SAS3008 based HBAs, but I want the connector pointing horizontally not vertically. I'm currently using Dell H330 cards, also based on SAS3008 but I can't find a way to flash LSI firmware on them so i have to use the built-in "HBA mode", which is okay, but doesn't allow me to use sg_utils on the HDDs

oddball

May 18, 2018
I have a few similar model LSI RAID cards and you don't need to flash to get HBA mode, there is an option in the bios to configure it that way. It's on the second page of the BIOS and labeled JBOD Mode, it disables RAID and you have a nice HBA.

Reactions: BackupProphet

oddball

May 18, 2018
that is pretty decent. i just wish i could find some 9300-8i instead. i have a 2U system that needs some SAS3008 based HBAs, but I want the connector pointing horizontally not vertically. I'm currently using Dell H330 cards, also based on SAS3008 but I can't find a way to flash LSI firmware on them so i have to use the built-in "HBA mode", which is okay, but doesn't allow me to use sg_utils on the HDDs
Search on Amazon for the cables. I was looking for something similar recently and found adapters that come out at a sharp 90 degree turn allowing a fit.

Problem with Amazon is it's all third party sellers, and there is so many junk listings to wade through. I kept searching for "SAS Cabling" and "SAS Splitter" and eventually stumbled on it. So they exist!

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
nice price, but just FYI this is the same seller that we got the 2558 board from in the other thread that claim as "working pull" but all DOA. I hope it won't happen on this one.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Search on Amazon for the cables. I was looking for something similar recently and found adapters that come out at a sharp 90 degree turn allowing a fit.

Problem with Amazon is it's all third party sellers, and there is so many junk listings to wade through. I kept searching for "SAS Cabling" and "SAS Splitter" and eventually stumbled on it. So they exist!
i have the right cable SFF-8643 cables, but that won't work for me. I have 3x SAS controllers in this system to control 24x SSDs on a 216A backplane. With the SAS controllers next to each other, even with right angle connectors the cable will just run into the card next to it.

Ideally, I just need to find 9300-8i HBAs, but I see so many counterfeit ones listed on ebay...

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah I 12Gbps sas HBA's in SC216A's as well and had to be sure to get 9341-8i's to send conn's out back. 2U makes using these 9340-8i's/M1215's a PITA grrr.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Yeah I 12Gbps sas HBA's in SC216A's as well and had to be sure to get 9341-8i's to send conn's out back. 2U makes using these 9340-8i's/M1215's a PITA grrr.
@whitey - Did you get OEM (Dell/Lenovo-IBM) or LSI branded 9341-8i? I haven't come across good priced OEM ones in my searches in quite a while

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@whitey - Did you get OEM (Dell/Lenovo-IBM) or LSI branded 9341-8i? I haven't come across good priced OEM ones in my searches in quite a while
I've been searching for some myself, and I have not come across anything in a reasonable price range in some time. Also, I'm seeing a lot of counterfeit versions on ebay, so be cautious.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
I've been searching for some myself, and I have not come across anything in a reasonable price range in some time. Also, I'm seeing a lot of counterfeit versions on ebay, so be cautious.
I'm curious, how do you tell if you are getting a counterfeit card? I just had to send one back because it simply didn't work right, it looked legit but who knows.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm curious, how do you tell if you are getting a counterfeit card? I just had to send one back because it simply didn't work right, it looked legit but who knows.
I don't have a sure way to identify counterfeits, but these are a few things I've noticed as "patterns":

1) the "LSI" print is missing. usually "LSI" is printed on the PCB near the PCI-E connector
2) the heatsink looks larger and attached with plastic (black colored) pins. What i believe are genuine LSI cards have brass colored spring loaded pins.

when I see the above, I send a message to the seller asking about the card's origins; and i usually get no reply at all. where as, the ones that I think look genuine, the sellers usually respond.

none of this is definite, but for me it does raise suspicion and makes me speculate the item is counterfeit. in some of these cases, i've spoken to LSI/Broadcom about it and they agreed with my speculation. interesting thing is, they don't appear interested in dealing with them as when I asked to escalate to legal, their response was basically they don't worry about it.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Was about a good 6 months to a year ago for LSI 9341-8i's for I wanna say $90-120, have not seen OEM's in a bit at that price now though but i have admittedly NOT been looking since my HBA needs are met at this time [too many actually, mostly 2008 though, I have two 9341-8i's though]