Smart AC?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
This seems like one of those "doctor it hurts when I do this" problems. So if you forget to close the window you're just f'd? But you don't forget to close the window, only close the window and turn on the AC? Honestly, I'd be more worried about the humidity and the temperature swings than the heat.
I never forget to close the window AND turn on the AC. I usually forget that I opened the window.. I open the window when I get home from work on a cool evening to get some fresh air. Sometimes I close it when it's till cool and don't turn the A/C on (say at night). Then the next morning, I leave for work with the window open an A/C off. Then it gets up to 90 degrees. This is the problem I'm try to find a solution for.

Reactions: Donald J. Cox

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I never forget to close the window AND turn on the AC. I usually forget that I opened the window.. I open the window when I get home from work on a cool evening to get some fresh air. Sometimes I close it when it's till cool and don't turn the A/C on (say at night). Then the next morning, I leave for work with the window open an A/C off. Then it gets up to 90 degrees. This is the problem I'm try to find a solution for.
I'm assuming you mean you leave with the window closed, otherwise you're tilting at windmills. As others have said, I don't understand why you need a fancy remote thermostat instead of just turning the AC on when you close the window. If the thermostat is above the current temperature it won't run--that's the point of a thermostat.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I'm assuming you mean you leave with the window closed, otherwise you're tilting at windmills. As others have said, I don't understand why you need a fancy remote thermostat instead of just turning the AC on when you close the window. If the thermostat is above the current temperature it won't run--that's the point of a thermostat.
Because as I said in my last post, sometimes I close the window without turning on the A/C (ie. at night). The temperature can fluctuate a lot here in NY and I'll sometimes have nights in the 50's and days in the 90s. So sometimes I open the office window when I get home to get fresh air since it's cool, but I will close it at night as we get a lot of cross breeze in our apartment and the wifey gets cold. So I'm left with an A/C off and and a closed window when I go to sleep.

If you're saying to yourself, you just need to be better at remembering to turn the A/C in the morning...I get it and i'm with you. But I am what I am at this point in my life and life happens especially when it's really hectic in the morning.

Frankly, I'm not really looking for a scolding or a life lesson here. I've presented a problem, which I realize you don't view as one (at which point you no longer need to waste your time on this thread), and I'm looking for a solution.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
Because as I said in my last post, sometimes I close the window without turning on the A/C (ie. at night). [...]
Frankly, I'm not really looking for a scolding or a life lesson here. I've presented a problem, which I realize you don't view as one (at which point you no longer need to waste your time on this thread), and I'm looking for a solution.
No problem. I accept that you're unable to just turn on the AC when you close the window because reasons and hope you find a technical solution. Have fun.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Id do something like get a smart switch that can handle the amp/watt of the air conditioner, and use ifttt or home assistant to connected it to a binary sensor that is on the window, if the window is closed the switch is on, if the window is open the switch is off.

Then just set the thermostat on the window unit to your desired on/off thresholds. You can further add temperature sensors and add additional smart functionality.

If you do not want to go "smart" with this as you would need to take the time to learn a few things or set it up, I can envision several dumb solutions as well using physical switches connected to the window frame.

You can go uber smart as well, and have things like servo's that would close/open the windows. Sky is the limit.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
There are switched outlets designed for appliances that should handle the power draw, however the AC may not return to the "ON' state when power is switched back on. It may default to the off position which would make it more difficult.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I was thinking more analog models for the cheaper ones, but if its digital a cheap IR blaster can do the job.
I use a Broadlink RM Mini at home with great success to turn off/on things like LED light strips, or TV's etc.

JustinH

Jan 21, 2015
Singapore
Have a look at a device called Sensibo. I use it for my home AC. Has some smarts in it, but also a API that you can plug into with scripts. (As well as mobile apps)

Also a bunch of applets on IFFT if you really want to get fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
Did you find a solution? What about just getting a WiFi smart power point do you can turn it on remotely if you remember you left the window closed?

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Did you find a solution? What about just getting a WiFi smart power point do you can turn it on remotely if you remember you left the window closed?
I have not settled on a solution yet as I'm still contemplating buying a new AC unit and don't want to decide on a solution until then.

Can you elaborate more on this smart power point? I'm not really sure what you are referencing.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Something like a Wemo Smart Plug Wemo - Home Automation

As long as your AC retains its settings on start, it should be a pretty KISS solution.
Ohhh, smart plugs. Yes that's definitely something I'm considering. Nice cheap option. I'm going to be deciding soon if we are upgrading our A/C so I'll report back what I decide on.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
One caution on the smart plugs and driving and AC unit - watch the current draw required. Smart plugs often deliver far less than the typical USA 15A outlet - and many window AC units draw near the limits.

Just check the numbers before you buy and plug it all in.

Reactions: IamSpartacus

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
If you don't find a smart AC you like you could always diy:
- Switched PDU to kick on/off the AC unit if it is dumb or can be configured to just kick on when the power comes on
- USB temp sensor from ebay - or several because why not! Measure the temps in your systems and where you are to control temp vs the temp on the a/c unit which is pointless for doing PID control of the temp in the room
- IR Blaster to turn on/off if you get one of the more recent home-sized units that has the little IR remote they all seem to have now a day
I have a lot of these USB IR Transceiver - Iguanaworks and they work great (even for the IR controlled A/C unit I have).
Script is up and put it on a system you have now or a fun excuse for a RPi to do something productive. Easy to use an i2c temp sensor that way too

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I rigged a setup together where my Tripp-lite AC is controlled by a Ubiquiti Mfi sensor connected via a mPort monitored by a small VM which turns it on/off via a mPower smart plug as needed.

The software sucks compared to Ubiquiti's newer Unifi but the hardware is robust and has been working reliably for 18 months now. This also gives a cost run down on what it costs to cool hardware which you might not be interested in knowing!

upload_2018-5-29_11-17-13.png

upload_2018-5-29_11-23-3.png

Last edited: