Is it possible to have an OmniOS + napp-it box be a Fiber Channel target?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Are you planning to buy Brocade FC switch as well? I’m asking cause at that point 40Gbps Ethernet on DAC cables would be way cheaper :)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
OmniOS is an Opensource Solaris fork with the Solaris Comstar framework for FC/iSCSI.
You can follow Configuring Fibre Channel Devices With COMSTAR - Oracle Solaris Administration: Devices and File Systems

From ESXi you can either access NFS shares on ZFS to put VMs onto (what I do and prefer) or you can create zvols (a ZFS filesystem that is treated as a blockdevice like a disk) and share them via Comstar.

Unlike an NFS share that can be accessed simultaniously by multiple clients, a FC/iSCSI target is mouted from ESXi like a local disk what means that you must disconnect prior a connect from another ESXi.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Unlike an NFS share that can be accessed simultaniously by multiple clients, a FC/iSCSI target is mouted from ESXi like a local disk what means that you must disconnect prior a connect from another ESXi.
Not quite sure I fully agree if you are saying iSCSI/FC target can ONLY be mounted to one ESXi host at a time, VMFS will make it a cluster/shared volume and be accessible simultaneously to all hosts in vSphere cluster then you can use vMotion/svMotion granted you make the target accessible via comstart stack to multiple hosts in the cluster. I also DO prefer to use NFS though. Just simpler and quite performant/near lockstep w/ iSCSI/FC long as you make it over 10G ethernet fabric or above.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Yes, but the point is that there is no support for concurrent access within FC/iSCSI targets like it is in NFS/SMB. You need an additional cluster software layer that controls access.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
True, but he's specifically asking about ESXi here so he would have VMFS clustered filesystem access if setting up a Comstar FC target but I digress, we each get 1/2 a point for correctness/validity :-D