Proxmox VE 5.2 and AMD EPYC it Works Great

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gradinaruvasile

Jun 29, 2017
Have you managed to do alive migration from EPYC to Xeon? Just asking, we have some old xeons and i7's on our cluster now, we want to extend the cluster (and retire the i7s) and we haven't decided yet.
We have one Dell server with dual Xeon CPUs (24 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz (2 Sockets)), the rest are i7's and one.
And the virtual machines are created with the "Ivy Bridge" CPU profile.

I personally think that the single socket Dell PowerEdge 6415 looks very attractive and last i checked a 7351p is cheaper than a comparable Dell with dual Silver 4110 on . Would it work with our old Xeons if we lock the CPU profiles to Ivy Bridge or we need a bit of manual CPU feature management?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
AMD and Intel are not 100% compatible so you cannot live migrate Xeon to EPYC although I believe there are steps you can take to make this work on KVM if you really want to. Not really feasible right now to just put EPYC in and have everything live migrate. Doing a shutdown and reboot on another machine will work without issue.

The other bit to look at is the EPYC 7401P. The additional 8 cores come at a few hundred dollar premium so if you are consolidating i7's and you get another 1-2 machines to the single server, you probably end up ahead upgrading over the 7351P.

Reactions: eva2000

gradinaruvasile

Jun 29, 2017
Well we don't have a comprehensive migration policy, but i was thinking about a cluster of 3 servers in the end, mostly for redundancy (one probably a 2U chassis to house a bigger array to be used for secondary backup storage).
We have some VMs that are required to stay up so redundancy is a must.
As for the CPU choice, the 7351p is cheap, has 32 threads, which should be enough for us and has higher base frequency (although it will not be loaded most of the time so the boost speed probably will be reached for shorted periods).

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
This also can happened to offline migration windows 10 as well. Due to windows 1o default shutdown is a fake shutdown, it saves RAM into HDD for faster next booth time. The best way to check is to see under Task Manager -> CPU -> Up time. You will see although your windows just boot up but the cpu up time is like 10 hrs already.

For those windows fake shutdown VM, when you do offline migration, the next boot will automatically blue screen.

You might need to follow How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to) to disable windows 10 fast startup

gradinaruvasile

Jun 29, 2017
This also can happened to offline migration windows 10 as well. Due to windows 1o default shutdown is a fake shutdown, it saves RAM into HDD for faster next booth time. The best way to check is to see under Task Manager -> CPU -> Up time. You will see although your windows just boot up but the cpu up time is like 10 hrs already.

For those windows fake shutdown VM, when you do offline migration, the next boot will automatically blue screen.

You might need to follow How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to) to disable windows 10 fast startup
Yes thats a good heads up. Didn't think of that one.

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
Not really ontopic but the last Windows-Update (1803??) changed the setting to "ON" again. Had this issue with some Intel NUCs I need to power on by WOL - After the update this was not possible anymore (because of the overridden setting...)

WTF Microsoft is overwriting my chosen settings...