Smokin' deal on HGST HUSMM 400GB 12Gbps sas drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Harry P. Nyce

Harry P. Nyce
Sep 27, 2017
Ended up grabbing a pair of similar drives last October listed as: HGST Hitachi 800Gb 2.5" SAS 12Gb eMLC SSD Hard Drive SSD1600MM - 12G - NEW PULL via heads-up from the fine folks here on the STH forums, i cannot thank you enough. Vendor accepted my offer of $590 for both drives, so i took a chance. Date of Manufacturer was listed as June 2016 and from what little I gather, these will potentially outlive me with the meager use they get in my wannabe homelab setting.

Vendor was "ims" and I could definitely recommend doing business with them --> ims on eBay

Cisco Integrated Management Controller displays them as:
Product ID: HSVW800
Vendor: IBM-SSG
Drive Firmware: B204

They're obviously IBM branded drives, no Smart Information is passed through to CIMC, but i suspect that has as much to do with my LSI MegaRAID SAS 9266-8i controller as it does with these drives. Just dropped a couple 500GB Samsung 850/860 EVO in to test out a RAID1 array, using the aforementioned rock-solid drives in RAID0 as I'm quite confident they'll continue to be workhorses. This model doesn't have the encryption built in, but otherwise I have few complaints.

I don't have a ton of experience, but $0.37 / GB feels reasonable to me -- about ten cents more per GB compared to the consumer SSDs I had kicking around.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
These drives do NOT play, they eat I/O and laugh in the face of any sustained workload and suffer no performance drop off to speak of really...hard to 'make em bleed' for sure!

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Mine were delivered several days ago. my neighbor has been holding the package for me. Looking forward to checking them out this weekend. Thanks again @whitey.
Welcome, now if anyone has an extra HGST SAS ssd laying around in 200-400 GB capacity (I'll take hussl/husml/husmm) I REALLY REALLY REALLY need one for a project I am trying to close out. Price has gotta be right though, PM me if you have one to 'pay it forward' for my 'good lookin' out' deed. Kicking myself in arse that I didnt just pickup a few as spares/for future projects.