Recommend: 10GbE, L2+/L3 switch. VLAN ACLs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nickveldrin

Sep 4, 2013
What do you guys use for the 10gbit optics? Or do you just use the SFP+ cabling between your ethernet card and the switch?

I'm thinking of taking the plunge, but i would need to buy 4x 10gbit cards and am not sure the most inexpensive way to do it. 2 systems would be like 2ft away from the switch in the rack, one tower is like 8ft away, and another tower would be like 15-20ft.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
It isn't optics locked so anything should work. Use a DAC for the short runs and an SR optic for longer runs. I think most of my stuff is Cisco coded but it don't matter.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
yeah, one of the reasons I recommend brocade is because they'll take anything, and I mean anything. I've even used non-ethernet fibrechannel 1.25gb/s optics, it happily clocked them down to 1gbps and ran ethernet over them

I'm partial to using actual 10gbase-SR optics and multimode fiber even if the connections are short, since it's all come down hugely in price on ebay. Never had an issue in a few hundred interconnects, but I know STH is a fan of DAC interconnects as well. whatever works in your application.

Also if you bought a 6610 PoE model, don't forget to update the PoE controller, (after you've updated the bootloader and OS).

Last edited by a moderator:

kapone

May 23, 2015
Regarding the noise on these things... I'm half tempted to take the switch apart, move the innards to a 2U chassis (hack it up), and do some fan and PSU swapping to make it quieter.

The PSUs on these things output 12v only, all other voltage regulation is onboard. I'll have to spend some time to figure out the "sense" pins and the fan wiring but that can't be too difficult.

Another reason I'm considering this is because I have a number of other systems in my rack that are very low power. They don't draw more than 40-60w each (at full tilt), so doing a "top of the rack" 12v power supply and then distributing it to the switch and these systems, should be more efficient, in theory (vs each PSU doing it's own conversion).

I'm in the middle of building a few servers that I need, but once that's complete, I have a strong suspicion I'm gonna tackle this... :)

Reactions: fohdeesha

nickveldrin

Sep 4, 2013
yeah, one of the reasons I recommend brocade is because they'll take anything, and I mean anything. I've even used non-ethernet fibrechannel 1.25gb/s optics, it happily clocked them down to 1gbps and ran ethernet over them

I'm partial to using actual 10gbase-SR optics and multimode fiber even if the connections are short, since it's all come down hugely in price on ebay. Never had an issue in a few hundred interconnects, but I know STH is a fan of DAC interconnects as well. whatever works in your application.

Also if you bought a 6610 PoE model, don't forget to update the PoE controller, (after you've updated the bootloader and OS).
I haven't bought anything yet, but I've been thinking about it. The initial cost of entry is higher when you don't have any 10gbit ethernet cards, optics, or cabling, so if I'm going to go down this road, i need to figure out costs and justify it to the wife. :)

Appreciate the feedback, and good to know I can use any option for connectivity.

I won't need PoE, so I'm good on that front.

Nam

May 7, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Content Removed.

I tried connecting each SFP+ port to my server but only the two top ports work. The bottom two wont even light up.

Occamsrazor

Feb 23, 2018
Interested in these Brocades and been looking at the specs:

https://ruckus-www.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/datasheets/ds-icx-6610.pdf
https://ruckus-www.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf/datasheets/ds-icx-6430-6450.pdf

For a low-power & quiet switch with 2 SFP+ it seems the 6610 series uses minimum 120w. So would I be correct in saying with these criteria you'd want to be looking at the 6450-24 or 6450-48 models only? And the comments above "they've allowed 2 of the SFP+ ports to work at 10gbE" - which model(s) is that referring to?

Other question.... for a relative network newbie, at least when it comes to enterprise type switches, how user-friendly is the web-gui?

kapone

May 23, 2015
if all you need is 2x 10gbE, the 6610 is overkill. It draws around 90 watts operating and has 16x 10gbe + 2x 40gbE (and the 48x copper of course).

The 6450 draws 30 watts, and has 4x 10gbE ports. However only two of them come unlocked.

As far as the web UI, it's the same as the web UI on any other enterprise/carrier network gear - an afterthought. Nobody uses those things. Spend the 10 minutes to learn the CLI :) If you're stubborn, the webUI allows basic management like vlans and static routes and such, but it's not the prettiest web page you'll see
More like 110-115w. I've never seen mine go below that.

kapone

May 23, 2015
And since I tried my best to quiet the 6610 down and/or live with the noise...I failed.

So...

IMG_0140 copy.jpg

A triple 120mm fan plate will go over this. I tested with one/two/three 120mm fans, and have to get full coverage across the width of the chassis, otherwise the sensors still ramp up the 40mm fans.

Reactions: fohdeesha