BRAND NEW HGST 4TB SAS HUS726040ALS214 for under $70 ($55 for qty >= 10)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
NOTE: I no longer recommend buying from this vendor. based on the more recent experiences of other STH members, their HDD packing methods are not what they were when I first posted and as described below. It has also been harder and harder for STH members to get a response from Scott. I don't recommend at this point... Read thread for details.

=== ORIGINAL POST BELOW ===

A couple of weeks ago, I found this listing:

HGST 4TB SAS 3.5" 7.2K NL 12Gbs HDD HUS726040ALS214 PN 0F22968 | eBay

It says "new other", but I was a little skeptical as there are some ebay sellers that are less than honest. Anyway, I ordered a few to "try out" and I'm happy to report back that these drives are great drives and the seller did a great job.

Here's the box they came in:

IMG_20180514_181318.jpg IMG_20180514_181347.jpg

As you can see, lots of padding and very secure. All HDD were in sealed anti-static bags. (the picture shows Supermicro brackets, but those were not included - just me adding them to prep them for burn in testing) They actually came with NetApp brackets that are easily removable.

Here's a photo of one of the drives:

IMG_20180514_181411.jpg

These are HUS726040ALS214 (the "4" at the end indicates it supports Secure Erase). Here are the specs:

6TB & 5TB Hard Drive | Ultrastar 7K6000 | HGST

Here's the smart data I pulled from one of the drives:

Code:
# smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               HGST
Product:              HUS726040ALS214
Revision:             MS00
Compliance:           SPC-4
User Capacity:        4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Logical block size:   512 bytes
Formatted with type 2 protection
LU is fully provisioned
Rotation Rate:        7200 rpm
Form Factor:          3.5 inches
Logical Unit id:      0x5000cca25d51e954
Serial number:        K4HG1HJB
Device type:          disk
Transport protocol:   SAS (SPL-3)
Local Time is:        Mon May 14 18:19:02 2018 PDT
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature:     38 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        55 C

Manufactured in week 51 of year 2016
Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  50000
Accumulated start-stop cycles:  5
Specified load-unload count over device lifetime:  600000
Accumulated load-unload cycles:  5
Elements in grown defect list: 0

Vendor (Seagate) cache information
  Blocks sent to initiator = 429074312855552

Error counter log:
           Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
               ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
           fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
read:          0        0         0         0        519      12215.927           0
write:         0        0         0         0       3282      13629.056           0
verify:        0        0         0         0         19          0.000           0

Non-medium error count:        0

SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
     Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background short  Completed                   -       0                 - [-   -    -]

Long (extended) Self Test duration: 6 seconds [0.1 minutes]
As you can see, my burn-in testing has already written/read about 12TB on the drive with no errors. I also ran a short SMART test immediately upon power up to get the lifetime hours, and as you can see it shows 0 hours when the 1st SMART short test was run; so it would seem these really are unused brand new drives. Manufacture date shows December of 2016!

I've tested them in a Supermicro server with a LSI SAS9207-8i HBA and ZFS with no problems. I'm currently running badblocks on them for the last 49+ hours and no signs of problems:

Code:
From block 0 to 122094329
Testing with pattern 0xaa: done
Reading and comparing: done
Testing with pattern 0x55: done
Testing with pattern 0xff: done
Testing with pattern 0x00:  34.42% done, 49:08:45 elapsed. (0/0/0 errors)
I'm running badblocks like this: badblocks -b 32768 -c 256 -wsv /dev/sda

I'm still waiting for it to complete, but everything so far seems good.

In the past, I picked up *used* older HGST HUS724040XXXXXXX SAS or SATA drives for $85 and thought that was a good deal. For being brand new drives, and a newer model (HUS726040XXXXXX), a SAS drive, and less than 2 yrs old, I think under $70 is a pretty good price!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

I've since gotten in touch with the seller directly to order some more of these. A guy named Scott responded and told me he can offer a better discount on larger quantity orders. So, depending on how many you need, these brand new 4TB SAS drives can be had for < $70 shipped! He mentioned $55 for qty >= 10. For anyone who wants these, you can reach Scott directly via email: scott (at) synergy-ind.com.

Last edited:

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
I dont want to throw cold water on the optimism here however I have read alot of stories over the last 3 years about "drivesupply" the seller here, being a well known smart data eraser.

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
How do they match up with WD Red 5400 RPM with respect to power usage? Also, is it OK to mix these with WD Red 4TB ZFS pool?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I dont want to throw cold water on the optimism here however I have read alot of stories over the last 3 years about "drivesupply" the seller here, being a well known smart data eraser.
Hmm.... that's good to know, but can you reference those said stories?

I know of other sellers that do the SMART erasing, but they usually also put their own "label" on the hard drives. These at least have the original labels, and really look brand new, no marks of wear from what i can tell.

abq

May 23, 2015
Thank You Blinux , this looks like a potential great deal!

A couple of weeks ago, I found this listing:

HGST 4TB SAS 3.5" 7.2K NL 12Gbs HDD HUS726040ALS214 PN 0F22968 | eBay

It says "new other", but I was a little skeptical as there are some ebay sellers that are less than honest. Anyway, I ordered a few to "try out" and I'm happy to report back that these drives are great drives and the seller did a great job.

Here's the box they came in:

View attachment 8473 View attachment 8475

As you can see, lots of padding and very secure. All HDD were in sealed anti-static bags. (the picture shows Supermicro brackets, but those were not included - just me adding them to prep them for burn in testing) They actually came with NetApp brackets that are easily removable.

Here's a photo of one of the drives:

View attachment 8474

These are HUS726040ALS214 (the "4" at the end indicates it supports Secure Erase). Here are the specs:

6TB & 5TB Hard Drive | Ultrastar 7K6000 | HGST

Here's the smart data I pulled from one of the drives:

Code:
# smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [x86_64-linux-3.10.0-862.2.3.el7.x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               HGST
Product:              HUS726040ALS214
Revision:             MS00
Compliance:           SPC-4
User Capacity:        4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Logical block size:   512 bytes
Formatted with type 2 protection
LU is fully provisioned
Rotation Rate:        7200 rpm
Form Factor:          3.5 inches
Logical Unit id:      0x5000cca25d51e954
Serial number:        K4HG1HJB
Device type:          disk
Transport protocol:   SAS (SPL-3)
Local Time is:        Mon May 14 18:19:02 2018 PDT
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK

Current Drive Temperature:     38 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        55 C

Manufactured in week 51 of year 2016
Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  50000
Accumulated start-stop cycles:  5
Specified load-unload count over device lifetime:  600000
Accumulated load-unload cycles:  5
Elements in grown defect list: 0

Vendor (Seagate) cache information
  Blocks sent to initiator = 429074312855552

Error counter log:
           Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
               ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
           fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
read:          0        0         0         0        519      12215.927           0
write:         0        0         0         0       3282      13629.056           0
verify:        0        0         0         0         19          0.000           0

Non-medium error count:        0

SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
     Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background short  Completed                   -       0                 - [-   -    -]

Long (extended) Self Test duration: 6 seconds [0.1 minutes]
As you can see, my burn-in testing has already written/read about 12TB on the drive with no errors. I also ran a short SMART test immediately upon power up to get the lifetime hours, and as you can see it shows 0 hours when the 1st SMART short test was run; so it would seem these really are unused brand new drives. Manufacture date shows December of 2016!

I've tested them in a Supermicro server with a LSI SAS9207-8i HBA and ZFS with no problems. I'm currently running badblocks on them for the last 49+ hours and no signs of problems:

Code:
From block 0 to 122094329
Testing with pattern 0xaa: done
Testing with pattern 0x55: done
Testing with pattern 0xff: done
Testing with pattern 0x00:  34.42% done, 49:08:45 elapsed. (0/0/0 errors)
I'm running badblocks like this: badblocks -b 32768 -c 256 -wsv /dev/sda

I'm still waiting for it to complete, but everything so far seems good.

In the past, I picked up *used* older HGST HUS724040XXXXXXX SAS or SATA drives for $85 and thought that was a good deal. For being brand new drives, and a newer model (HUS726040XXXXXX), a SAS drive, and less than 2 yrs old, I think under $70 is a pretty good price!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

I've since gotten in touch with the seller directly to order some more of these. A guy named Scott responded and told me he can offer a better discount on larger quantity orders. So, depending on how many you need, these brand new 4TB SAS drives can be had for < $70 shipped! He mentioned $55 for qty >= 10. For anyone who wants these, you can reach Scott directly via email: scott (at) synergy-ind.com.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
How do they match up with WD Red 5400 RPM with respect to power usage? Also, is it OK to mix these with WD Red 4TB ZFS pool?
According to : https://www.wdc.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/spec_data_sheet/2879-800002.pdf

4TB Red WD40EFRX: read/write 4.5W, idle 3.3W, standby/sleep 0.4W

According to spec sheet for this SAS drive:

operating 11W, idle 7.7W

Which I think is to be expected... 7200RPM vs 5400RPM... Also, these are 12Gbps SAS3, not that sustained transfers on a 7200RPM HDD is going to even be close to 12Gbps...

james23

Nov 18, 2014
hey BLinux , what you need to run is smartctl -A (cap. A not lowercase -a ), and post the results, ive used -A to ID quite a few sellers who are erasing SMART data
(as often, with -A, you will see the history of smart short/long tests ran by prior owner, with the hour count next to the result). I have an old post on here with exact this.

I know some ppl can fully wipe all SMART data, but often this piece gets overlooked, so try that on your drive. however in my experience, i'll take a 2/3/4 tb HGST enterprise USED drive , over *ANY* new drive (if it passes my 5-10 day stress test period that is).
thanks deal info!

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
hey BLinux , what you need to run is smartctl -A (cap. A not lowercase -a ), and post the results, ive used -A to ID quite a few sellers who are erasing SMART data
(as often, with -A, you will see the history of smart short/long tests ran by prior owner, with the hour count next to the result). I have an old post on here with exact this.

I know some ppl can fully wipe all SMART data, but often this piece gets overlooked, so try that on your drive. however in my experience, i'll take a 2/3/4 tb HGST enterprise USED drive , over *ANY* new drive (if it passes my 5-10 day stress test period that is).
thanks deal info!
I don't think so.... -a is the same as --all, while -A is for --attributes. So, I think you meant to say -a, not -A.

In any case, if you read my 1st post, that's exactly what i did.. i ran a short SMART test to record the results with the Lifetime hours to figure out how many power on hours the SAS HDD has and it showed 0 hours.

I do agree that I find used HDD with 4000-10000 hours more comforting as I know they've passed the infant mortality phase. In either case, I'm doing a burn-in test of these SAS drives and they seem to be holding up fine. As long as they pass my burn-in, I'm happy with them.

james23

Nov 18, 2014
Weird, im not sure why your -a is not showing the "SMART self-test log" . I did have it backwards, -A only gives you the Smart attributes, while -a gives you all data (atleaste on my smartctl version i just now tested:
# smartctl -v smartctl 5.43 ).

(also running your own smart short/extended test will not help, as that will just log what the current hours are, thus if they erased the POH (power on hours), it will log the current POH- what you want to see is test log from when BEFORE they wiped the smart data, see example below from my old STH thread)

here is the example from my thread above (ive bought many drives like this over the years), this drive i had just bought from GoHardDrive (a 3tb HUA hgst drive), showed 0 for the SMART hours, however running # smartctl -a provided this info (output shows offline tests PRIOR owners of this "new" drive had run, but this seller didnt, or was unable to erase that log from the smart data) -- see my OP from my STH post if this is confusing:

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Short offline Completed without error 00% 9607 -
# 2 Short offline Completed without error 00% 6072 -
# 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3133 -
# 4 Short offline Completed without error 00% 2181 -
# 5 Short offline Completed without error 00% 1 -

I don't think so.... -a is the same as --all, while -A is for --attributes. So, I think you meant to say -a, not -A.

In any case, if you read my 1st post, that's exactly what i did.. i ran a short SMART test to record the results with the Lifetime hours to figure out how many power on hours the SAS HDD has and it showed 0 hours.

I do agree that I find used HDD with 4000-10000 hours more comforting as I know they've passed the infant mortality phase. In either case, I'm doing a burn-in test of these SAS drives and they seem to be holding up fine. As long as they pass my burn-in, I'm happy with them.

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Weird, im not sure why your -a is not showing the "SMART self-test log" . I did have it backwards, -A only gives you the Smart attributes, while -a gives you all data (atleaste on my smartctl version i just now tested:
# smartctl -v smartctl 5.43 ).

(also running your own smart short/extended test will not help, as that will just log what the current hours are, thus if they erased the POH (power on hours), it will log the current POH- what you want to see is test log from when BEFORE they wiped the smart data, see example below from my old STH thread)

here is the example from my thread above (ive bought many drives like this over the years), this drive i had just bought from GoHardDrive (a 3tb HUA hgst drive), showed 0 for the SMART hours, however running # smartctl -a provided this info (output shows offline tests PRIOR owners of this "new" drive had run, but this seller didnt, or was unable to erase that log from the smart data) -- see my OP from my STH post if this is confusing:

9 Power_On_Hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Short offline Completed without error 00% 9607 -
# 2 Short offline Completed without error 00% 6072 -
# 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3133 -
# 4 Short offline Completed without error 00% 2181 -
# 5 Short offline Completed without error 00% 1 -
It is showing "SMART self-test log" ... just scroll to the bottom....

Checking for previous records of a SMART test might work for a used drive, but on a brand new drive (like in this case it seems), there won't be any records of previously run SMART tests. As you'll see (if you scroll down to the SMART self-test log", the only record of a SMART test is the one I ran.

Also, I think SMART output is very different between SATA vs SAS drives.. these are SAS drives... on SAS drives, smartctl doesn't show any "attributes" like they do on SATA drives. Instead, it show (like my example above) bytes read/written/verified and the number of corrected/uncorrected errors.

xena

Apr 10, 2013
If these drivers are really "unused", than thats good find. Will those work with ServeRAID M1015 SAS card?

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
If these drivers are really "unused", than thats good find. Will those work with ServeRAID M1015 SAS card?
They are working with a LSI SAS2308, so I see no reason why they wouldn't work with a SAS2008 based card. as long as you don't have some sort of SATA only backplane between the M1015 and these SAS HDDs, should work just fine.

Craash

Apr 7, 2017
@BLinux does it for me again. I touched base with Scott yesterday via email and have 4 coming my way at $60 each, shipped. Assuming they are what they are listed as (and considering @BLinux experience, they seem to be), I'll be in for another 10 which Scott priced at $55 shipped.

Now, I have a bunch of 450GB 15K SAS2 drive to unload. :)

aqxea

Aug 28, 2016
Tulsa, OK
Thanks for the heads up. I may be interested in 12 @ $55/ea. I'll shoot him an email to see if he has any left. I've been looking for some 4TB drives to fill my 12 bay R510 to be used for FreeNAS.

nle

Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for the tip. Ended up buying 7 for USD 60, and 90 USD for shipping (to EU). I will probably need to pay tax on the import as well, but it's still cheaper than buying locally here. And we rarely get "used" server grade gear anyways.

Myth

Feb 27, 2018
Los Angeles
Which I think is to be expected... 7200RPM vs 5400RPM... Also, these are 12Gbps SAS3, not that sustained transfers on a 7200RPM HDD is going to even be close to 12Gbps...
@BLinux thats an insteresting note. So 12GBps SAS3 humm. I'm a server manufacturer and I get a bit confused by the 12GBps benchmark on SAS3.

We have SSD arrays and HDD arrays. 12GBps is 1200MBPS, that's per drive? The only single drive that can pull 1200MBPS is the 15TB SAS 12 Samsung SSD to my knowledge.

I've also noticed that we have the newer 10TB Helium SATA drives, they each read about 250MBps read write. I've compared this to the 8TB SAS3 12GB and they read a bit slower around 230MBps read write. So the 10TB array is actually a bit faster than the 8TB even though it's SATA.

Can this be explained?

Are you saying that the HDDs are the bottleneck here? So what is the point of SAS drives vs SATA if SATA drives are faster?

-Myth

P.S. I hope this makes sense

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
If you always have 7200 rpms and the same number of platters, the one with the higher density (more tb) will deliver more throughput per revolution.

Reactions: Patriot

BLinux

Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
@BLinux thats an insteresting note. So 12GBps SAS3 humm. I'm a server manufacturer and I get a bit confused by the 12GBps benchmark on SAS3.

We have SSD arrays and HDD arrays. 12GBps is 1200MBPS, that's per drive? The only single drive that can pull 1200MBPS is the 15TB SAS 12 Samsung SSD to my knowledge.

I've also noticed that we have the newer 10TB Helium SATA drives, they each read about 250MBps read write. I've compared this to the 8TB SAS3 12GB and they read a bit slower around 230MBps read write. So the 10TB array is actually a bit faster than the 8TB even though it's SATA.

Can this be explained?

Are you saying that the HDDs are the bottleneck here? So what is the point of SAS drives vs SATA if SATA drives are faster?

-Myth

i386 has it right i think with regard to throughput performance. areal density dictates how many bits can be ready off per revolution, given everything else to be the same.

and as far as the 12Gbps (I use 'b' for bits, and 'B' for bytes) of SAS3, that's not so much a benchmark as it is a specification for the maximum transfer rate of the protocol. no HDD I know of today can even exceed 6Gbps, so the 12Gbps specification I think was primarily designed for the benefit of SSDs. And there are plenty of 12Gbps SAS3 SSDs that can take advantage of the higher spec. I have an array of these things:

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/US_SSD800MM_ds.pdf

that need 12Gbps SAS. of course, these days NVMe SSDs exceed the the SAS3/12Gbps spec easily.

there are also other advantages of SAS vs SATA besides transfer speeds, but in many cases some of those advantages may not matter. it's a topic that's been discussed many times over on the internet so if you're curious I would just do a search to find more details.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Gbps is Giga bits per second, so in theory 12Gbps = 1.5 Giga Bytes per second GBps. There are many SSDs on the market that can exceed SAS2 and it's 6Gbps speed, hence SAS3 might be needed to utilize the bandwidth fully.

But for these HDDs however...not even close to saturate SAS2 nor SATA3 bandwidth :)

Can this be explained?

-Myth