X9SRH-7F SAS/RAID controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
I'm pondering a few new servers to replace the aging C6100. I want to go to storage spaces direct - which I can PROBABLY do with the newest server insider builds and a few of these servers.

Problem is I don't know if the SAS controller is a proper SAS controller, or a RAID controller - and S2D needs plain old SAS to work effectively. Otherwise the server is a pretty good match for me - 2 internal bays for OS, 2 SSDs on the SATA controller and 8x disks on the Broadcom would work.

Does anyone have 2016 running on a X9SRH-7F - and could advise whether disks on the Broadcom show up as type RAID or SAS?

If you could show the PowerShell output of this command:
Code:
Get-PhysicalDisk | ft -Auto FriendlyName,BusType,MediaType
Well then that would just be awesome-sauce. Here's what I see on my test C6100 non-S2D cluster, for example:
Code:
FriendlyName        BusType MediaType
------------        ------- ---------
Intel Raid 1 Volume RAID    SSD
Edit: Flashing the LSI2308 on an X9SRH-7F to IT mode? seems to indicate it can be flashed. So if someone has done THAT and can confirm the above that would be even better!

Last edited:

hanoon

Jun 19, 2013
David, I know this is old thread and probably you got the answer already...

I'm also looking to replace aging C6100 -
Did you find a model that would provide similar density? Preferably Dell

side note: Did you ever get IPMI working without SSL browser issues on xs23-ty3

Thanks

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
David, I know this is old thread and probably you got the answer already...

I'm also looking to replace aging C6100 -
Did you find a model that would provide similar density? Preferably Dell

side note: Did you ever get IPMI working without SSL browser issues on xs23-ty3

Thanks
The direct replacement is the C6220, I think. E5-2600 platform, still DDR3, same sort of density. Certainly the C6200 series, if the 6220 isn't quite the right one.

I have working IPMI sometimes on the C6100 - but while they all worked originally, I'm down to I think one out of 4 in one chassis; and with failing fans I'm definitely thinking replacements soon. Fact is they're old and you're getting SSL problems no matter what (maybe oldversions.com will have a portable Firefox 4 you could use though). Might get the rack enclosed in the GDC (Garage Data Centre) somehow so I can use AC and filter the air (and cool it for summer too).

hanoon

Jun 19, 2013
Thanks for the response - I will look into the 62xx options - appreciate your feedback - Please send me a PM when you can