Rackmount Mining Rig

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
I am looking into building a couple of mining rigs to mine Ethereum. I wanted to build a rig in a rack mount case to put in my rack.

I was looking into cases and saw that Rosewill makes one, the RSV-L4000C. It allows you to mount the GPUs at the front of the case (Rosewill RSV-L4000C - 4U Rackmount Server Case / Chassis for Bitcoin Mining Machine, Supports 6~8 Graphic Cards - Newegg.com). My main concern is the cooling of the GPUs and the rest of the computer components, as you have the GPUs pushing the hot air out the front and the rest of the server pushing air out the back.

The question is how to cool these with the cover on it? I want to use the normal airflow of cold air in the front and the hot air out the back. But the GPUs have fans blowing the hot air out the front. Any ideas?

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Those type og non-blower styke cards dont really push that much air out the back of their cards.. an option would be to just have enough air pressure in the front to move anything backwards. Maybe shroud it somehow to the card intakes and then shut off the air from going to the front.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I did this with blower styles and just made it run back to front. but If you don't have blower style cards then you could just put some good high output fans pushing air back and it should run just fine.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
That looks like it is mostly top and bottom exhaust so you should be fine to run front to back... But you are going to need some high CFM fans. I was using CM JetFlo 120 but some server grade 120mm should work too. The fans it comes with are not up to the task and anything super quite isn't going to cut it either.

rysti32

Apr 14, 2018
One warning about these Rosewill cases: they actually occupy 5U, not 4U. There are two problems: the first is that the screw holes on the side for the rails aren't aligned properly, so the case will occupy 2/3 of one U, 3U, and then 1/3U of another. The other problem is that the case is actually slightly too tall for 4U. I have two Rosewill cases (not this exact model, but the chassis is the same) and I figured I could put them 4U apart, so I'd only waste 1U for the two systems combined. However, the bottom case wound up scraping the bottom of the top case and they really didn't fit together in the rack at all, so I still needed to reserve 1U to go between the two.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
NO WAY.... I have owned SilenX before even if they met the rated output that wouldn't be enough but SilenX in my experience are VERY "optimistic" about the output of their fans. They are however very quite.

I even tried the SilentX IXP-76-18 which is thicker and rated at 90cfm..... Again nowhere close to that.... Get the JetFlo or something like a Delta or San Ace.

If you want to tweak the fan speed/noise get a Noctua NA-FC1 it will run up to 3 pwm fans. And you probably should run them off one of those anyway since you want to manage the fans independently not have the motherboard deciding what is best.

Last edited:

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Look at gentle typhoon. Their fans should be able to produce enough flow :)

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
Has anyone setup a rig to mine Ethereum? How much programming is involved? I would consider myself a beginner when comes to programming, not sure how hard it would be to learn this stuff. My plan is to use EthOS.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Not to come across as mean but the fact you are asking means you should probably pump the brakes don't buy a bunch of stuff. Just play with any computer you have already and learn the software and how pools work and everything else that comes with mining. Then you should probably do some calculations on costs of equipment and power consumption and see if it is even profitable for you. but I guess to answer your question No programming is required a little bit of script modification may be required you can probably find walk through of anything you need on youtube.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
No offense taken. I have done some reasearch when it comes to the hardware and software needed for mining(you need a wallet and a site to exchange the coins for US currency). It was mentioned to me that there are other components of mining and those are Dapps and smart contracts. That’s why I asked about the programming.

The PSU I was planning on using is a Rosewill 1600W.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
I would still highly recommend that you do a trial install on some existing hardware before you go all in on a full rig... As for the rosewill PSU I wouldn't touch it knowing that it is powering a few thousand dollars worth of GPUs. I would go with Corsair or EVGA I am sure other top quality brands would be fine too but rosewill is built cheap and everyone agrees that PSUs aren't the place to cheap out.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
The only thing I have to do a trial run on is a Dell CS24-SC (1u server, so no room for a GPU).