Datto Xeon D 1541 board -- $501.15 shipped + 6/8% ebay bucks for some

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Got mine as well. No memory issues for me. I was also able to update the BMC firmware and BIOS problem free and also flashed the LSI to IT mode using the regular procedure.

@DaSaint I think the manual conflicts with itself. It does explain M2 NGFF as supporting PCIe x4, but the block diagrams all show PCIe x1 connections for each M2 slot. It looks like with those x1 connections all 32 PCIe lanes are accounted for.

Reactions: workingnonstop

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Yes I flashed it with the asrock firmware. I've ordered two more from the seller after making sure I was happy with the board. I was able to get them to do $525 each (outside of ebay). I think this is actually an amazing deal when you factor in the LSI controller.

I'm usually 100% Supermicro, but I couldn't say no at this price point.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Did the same updated the BIOS/BMC/SAS Controller (From IR to IT latest FW) . All seems good.

Had the memory issue again its random... i am wondering if i have a bad DIMM but i guess ill keep testing it.

@Aestr - Was that 525 Shipped or was Shipping Separate?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
It came with the IO shield, which I will say doesn't quite fit the standard opening as it's a bit too short, but it's the right width so no issues.

SPCRich

Mar 16, 2017
IThe price looks good for the board and looks very tempting for something I'm building for a friend. But I've never heard of Datto.

Datto is a storage company. I used to work for one of their competitors. They're mid-level cloud storage provider I'd say, not as well known as backblaze or crashplan, more enterprise oriented, made their own storage boxes (box sits in your network and acts as a buffer before offloading to cloud).

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
I just opened the 2 I ordered.. they aren't even Datto rebrands, they're just Asrock D1541D4U-2T8R boards. I don't see any mention of Datto anywhere on them, but very prominently have Asrock logo and the full Asrock model number.

They each have backplates with them, but one of them looks to have potentially been slightly modified (top part looks cut off?), but other looks maybe stock. Will try to take a closer look later tonight.

Modoz105

Feb 13, 2018
Mine arrived last week. I thought I would ZFS Raid1 two m2 drives for my Proxmox OS drive... however it looks like Proxmox can't do this in UEFI boot mode. Do these boards support legacy boot mode? Couldn't figure it out. Am I out of luck for using two m2 drives as my proxmox OS?

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
What kind of cases are you guys using for this board ?
I'm looking to use it as a regular node, not necessarily for storage.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
Is this 2-3 year old board/ processor still considered good? Not so long ago, I was looking up and down on ebay for this processor, and Asrock motherboard. I'm looking at it to build my NAS. One consideration is high core count, which will make me flexible for a long time. But the other one is whether it will be able to transcode on the fly new hevc 10-bit files I plan to download in the near future. I'm using Unraid.

I believe this processor won't be able to do that. Can it?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
D-1541 is still a good processor, great for low power idle especially, still about twice the core speed as c3000
Unless you need AVX512 then it’s still a good choice.

You talk about transcoding and I don’t know much about that but I do believe this is where some of the E3 Xeon’s are pretty handy.

jang430

Mar 16, 2017
D-1541 is still a good processor, great for low power idle especially, still about twice the core speed as c3000
Unless you need AVX512 then it’s still a good choice.

You talk about transcoding and I don’t know much about that but I do believe this is where some of the E3 Xeon’s are pretty handy.
Am using a supermicro board X11ssz-f, currently on i3-7100. Plan to change it to E3-1245 v6 when deals arise. But this price of xeon d is indeed unheard of :) Very very tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk