Datto Xeon D 1541 board -- $501.15 shipped + 6/8% ebay bucks for some

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
Datto OCT D1541D4U Micro ATX Server Workstation Motherboard Xeon D1541 CPU | eBay

$475+26.15 shipping for me. ebay is running 6% ebay bucks for me, or 8% in app (YMMV) -- got me $38 in ebay bucks which I will probably forget about and let expire like usual... ouch. :(:oops:

These have been sitting unsold a while at $675... have been watching them after same seller blasted out some Supermicro Xeon D boards in mid-$600 range RIGHT before those 10/15/20% coupons started rolling out. Price dropped on these at some point in the last 24 hours.

Seems like a very good price for D1541 board. I can't find anything on this (or any) Datto specific model, but their site at datto.com/hardware makes it sound like they don't do much manufacturing versus rebranding, and model number is very similar to Asrock's Xeon D line.

I suspect, but don't know, that these are rebranded D1541D4U-2T8R boards based on model number and similarity in overall visuals. The ebay listing says these have 10gb SFP ports, but assuming pictures are correct they clearly have copper ports, so hoping they are 10G base-T like the Asrock board linked. Asrock makes an SFP model as well (the D1541D4U-2O8R, that STH actually reviewed here), but those ports would be located in different spot on board and are much bigger than 10gbase-t. Images also show a couple of integrated mini SAS ports, similar to either Asrock.

Anyway, I rolled the dice on 1 and am still seriously considering picking up more, but I don't know what I would use them for. So STH, jump in on this deal and save me from myself! ;):D

edit: make that rolled the dice on 2. Dang... :p

Last edited:
Reactions: thedriver

K D

Dec 24, 2016
IThe price looks good for the board and looks very tempting for something I'm building for a friend. But I've never heard of Datto.

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
Datto OCT D1541D4U Micro ATX Server Workstation Motherboard Xeon D1541 CPU | eBay

$475+26.15 shipping for me. ebay is running 6% ebay bucks for me, or 8% in app (YMMV) -- got me $38 in ebay bucks which I will probably forget about and let expire like usual... ouch. :(:oops:

These have been sitting unsold a while at $675... have been watching them after same seller blasted out some Supermicro Xeon D boards in mid-$600 range RIGHT before those 10/15/20% coupons started rolling out. Price dropped on these at some point in the last 24 hours.

Seems like a very good price for D1541 board. I can't find anything on this (or any) Datto specific model, but their site at datto.com/hardware makes it sound like they don't do much manufacturing versus rebranding, and model number is very similar to Asrock's Xeon D line.

I suspect, but don't know, that these are rebranded D1541D4U-2T8R boards based on model number and similarity in overall visuals. The ebay listing says these have 10gb SFP ports, but assuming pictures are correct they clearly have copper ports, so hoping they are 10G base-T like the Asrock board linked. Asrock makes an SFP model as well (the D1541D4U-2O8R, that STH actually reviewed here), but those ports would be located in different spot on board and are much bigger than 10gbase-t. Images also show a couple of integrated mini SAS ports, similar to either Asrock.

Anyway, I rolled the dice on 1 and am still seriously considering picking up more, but I don't know what I would use them for. So STH, jump in on this deal and save me from myself! ;):D

edit: make that rolled the dice on 2. Dang... :p
It looks like these are the Motherboards from Datto Siris appliances.
SIRIS 3 X Professional Specifications
They are re-branded D1541D4U-2T8R as you suspect but it looks like they do not include the SFP+ port and so would only have 2 x 10/100/1000 RJ45. I've got a question in to the seller to clarify and will update when I hear back.

Still a fairly good deal though and the 8x PCIe would allow for an SFP+ NIC if needed....

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
I've not heard of Datto until this listing. I just found this Datto product page which lists the ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2T8R board... seems positive toward confirming my suspicion that they are just rebranding these. Not sure why they'd use someone else's equivalently spec'd board if they make their own in house!

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
It looks like these are the Motherboards from Datto Siris appliances.
SIRIS 3 X Professional Specifications
They are re-branded D1541D4U-2T8R as you suspect but it looks like they do not include the SFP+ port and so would only have 2 x 10/100/1000 RJ45. I've got a question in to the seller to clarify and will update when I hear back.

Still a fairly good deal though and the 8x PCIe would allow for an SFP+ NIC if needed....
We found same info, but Asrock's page for that board says it has "RJ45: 2x 10G-BaseT LAN(by Intel® X540)" so not just gigabit... I see the part of the page that says 10/100/1000, but both header and lower on page it indicates that they are 10gbase-t ports. And the x540 is a 10gb nic. So fingers crossed on my part, as I just recently set up 10gb copper in my apt.

Seller also offers 30 day returns if anything off.

frsp_1

Apr 13, 2018
New York, NY
We found same info, but Asrock's page for that board says it has "RJ45: 2x 10G-BaseT LAN(by Intel® X540)" so not just gigabit... I see the part of the page that says 10/100/1000, but both header and lower on page it indicates that they are 10gbase-t ports. And the x540 is a 10gb nic. So fingers crossed on my part, as I just recently set up 10gb copper in my apt.

Seller also offers 30 day returns if anything off.

I believe you are correct. This page seems to support that as well:
Hardware Specifications: SIRIS 3 and NAS 3 Professional

BTW, thanks for the spot!

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Datto looks like Gigabyte and ASRock motherboards in U-NAS cases. Good deal.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The m.2 slots and the sata ports have pcie x1 each. Sata is fine. But kinda makes the m.2 not very useful except for maybe the OS drive.

But I still like this one.

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
The m.2 situation may suck but these have lsi sas3008 onboard which means you can do passthrough to VMware and still have 6 sata onboard for the base os.

I'd use PCIe for SFP+ NICs which are really cheap nowadays.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The m.2 situation may suck but these have lsi sas3008 onboard which means you can do passthrough to VMware and still have 6 sata onboard for the base os.

8 hdd for bulk storage and 2 1.6 tb p3600 for VM storage. Should make an awesome aio with a cs380 case.

Jan 4, 2014

can those be reflashed it mode ?

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
5 more in stock today, but price back up to $625+shipping... o_O

Will continue to monitor to see if it comes back down.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Got my board today, had a few issues with the memory at first had to move the dimms around slots then it started working fine.

Can confirm NO SFPs and it is an ASROCK board
ASRock Rack > D1541D4U-2T8R

Updated the BMC Firmware on it and it is using the Version 10 of LSI 3008 Raid Firmware. Looks like it should be ok to be flashed to IT Firmware as it appears as if its a normal LSI controller.

Also to mention in the manual earlier someone said issues with the M2

The M.2, also known as the Next Generation Form Factor (NGFF), is a small size and versatile card edge connector that aims to replace mPCIe and mSATA. The M.2_SSD (NGFF) Socket 3 can accommodate either a M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module or a M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s).

Looks like it can handle Gen3 NVME M.2

Last edited:

Lix

Aug 6, 2017
Does this board use the 8-pin power connector as well as the 24-pin? My SM board needed only the one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
I saw $575 too... he must think he lowered too much after we cleared him out in a weekend! :D

But hard for me to bite at that level after getting our original deal and without a real need. With shipping it's not that much cheaper than we've seen some Supermicro D1541 boards go for. If anyone is considering, I am getting 10% ebay bucks today - YMMV.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
This board does have 24Pin + EPS 12V and when i see them there i always hook them up. Some boards u can get away with hooking just a 4 pin power to it but again i would hook both up its designed to give the CPU the correct amount of power when it requires it under critical server workloads.