ISO Dual CPU/Mobo that wont break the bank

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
My first home lab server was a supermicro x10slh-f-0, xeon e3-1245 v3 with 16 gbs of ddr3 1600m pc3-12800 ecc. I tried on two separate occasions to buy approved 32gb ram kits published by supermicro for the mobo and both times the ram did not allow more than 16gb. I have had 48 gb pc3-12800 ecc sitting in my drawer for two-four years now.

The ram limitation has really annoyed me and is now limiting my ability to upgrade to run a new host with Windows Server 2016 as I transition my files over.

I regret not springing for a dual CPU board to begin with.

I am looking for suggestions on cpu/mobo combos for dual cpu, I would like to reuse the ddr3 1600 ecc (pc3-12800) ram. I prefer something more economical it is mainly a data/file server with at least 2 LANs. My plan is to get one CPU and then add the other years from now. I may run napp-it. I have failed at every attempt to get it to install. I will probably hire GEA to remotely set it up for me this time around.

You guys have any suggestions? At this point, I an just searching mobo's by ram on newegg to see what works.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
With the intention to go dual-socket, you could think about selling your RAM and buy cheaper DDR3 RDIMM instead. This way you could even offset some of the costs for the new motherboard.
Buying new, I can recommend ASRock EP2C602. It sells for less than 300€ in my country and is widely available. No idea though how it is in the US.

Reactions: F1ydave

F1ydave

Mar 9, 2014
I just bought 2 x E5-2690 v1 on ebay for $207.50 shipped, so I could reuse my ram.

I have to find a motherboard now. Is Asrock becoming a popular server board?

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Is Asrock becoming a popular server board?
I guess not. I am more into workstations than servers.
Although I like buying used, there are two components I buy new whenever possible: PSUs and motherboards. In my experience these are the parts most likely to fail when they get older. Having new components here with a warranty beats saving a few bucks for me.