Recommend: 10GbE, L2+/L3 switch. VLAN ACLs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
Got mine in today. Looks like I lucked out and it has the premium software license and the 10G ports licensed already. Looking forward to trying the qsfp unlock and linking it up to my 7050Q.

Attachments

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
It was from greencitizen but looks like they've sold out. I think everyone here went on a buying spree. There are still a few non-PoE listings for a decent price but most seem to be in the $450+ range now.

mpennett

Apr 11, 2017
The non-PoE one I got had the basic license. Before I mount it I want to open it up and check the CPU heat sink as it's running in the 60's and everything else shows 30's with no load.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Got mine today... Looks like if I am reading this right 10Gbe is enabled but more advanced routing is not yet. I think I will be able to fix the damaged port, if not still have 47 others, and too good a deal to pass up.

For anyone that is thinking about buying one of these "terrible" switches the noise at idle (POE version) on this is just loud enough that I would not want it nearby (same room) but that is not a problem for me.

Attachments

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
First off Woohoo! Best $191 ever.
Second Thank you for the excellent recommendation.
Third you are the Brocade master. I look forward to running a couple 40G link not because I need to but because I can.

Last edited by a moderator:

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
As much as I appreciate CLI... when I am poking around sometimes a GUI is nice so once a management VLAN/IP is setup.

Conf t
web-management enable vlan x (management vlan)
web-management http
web-management https
aaa authentication web-server default local

Not the best looking Web Interface I have seen but it might help someone.

Reactions: fohdeesha

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
The non-PoE one I got had the basic license. Before I mount it I want to open it up and check the CPU heat sink as it's running in the 60's and everything else shows 30's with no load.
FYI these things run hot by design - the PPC cpu can run MUCH hotter, so the fans ramp down and keep it around 60-70c. They'll start ramping up after that

mpennett

Apr 11, 2017
Yeah I noticed that, it ramps up and down every few minutes. It's not intolerable though.

kapone

May 23, 2015
Yeah I noticed that, it ramps up and down every few minutes. It's not intolerable though.
I wish it was quieter though. I have two of these, and while the one in my colo facility is a non-issue, I use the second one at home, and it is by far the loudest thing in my rack. And that's a 42U rack, almost full of stuff.

It's the "pitch" of the sound, it just carries and carries and carries... I even thought of hacking the switch to put some fans in, but that would have destroyed the form factor. I like my rack clean. :)

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I wish it was quieter though. I have two of these, and while the one in my colo facility is a non-issue, I use the second one at home, and it is by far the loudest thing in my rack. And that's a 42U rack, almost full of stuff.

It's the "pitch" of the sound, it just carries and carries and carries... I even thought of hacking the switch to put some fans in, but that would have destroyed the form factor. I like my rack clean. :)
Do you ever hear it change speeds (like get way louder)? It sounds like it might be stuck in full blast! I know there was a bug with older firmware where it wouldn't ever ramp down, but that was a long time ago. Do you plug in both power supplies? I believe it stays ramped down more often with both PSU's plugged in as there's more exhaust airflow.

The ICX behind me (wink wink), after being updated to the latest FW, is quite loud on boot in full blast mode, but once it ramps down to normal speed it's quite quiet - I doubt I'd even be able to pick it out if it went in a rack with other stuff

edit: here's a vid of the difference

Last edited:

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
sounds a lot like my Oracle Infiniband 36 switch. It screams at start up, and then slowly calms down significantly

kapone

May 23, 2015
Do you ever hear it change speeds (like get way louder)? It sounds like it might be stuck in full blast! I know there was a bug with older firmware where it wouldn't ever ramp down, but that was a long time ago. Do you plug in both power supplies? I believe it stays ramped down more often with both PSU's plugged in as there's more exhaust airflow.

The ICX behind me (wink wink), after being updated to the latest FW, is quite loud on boot in full blast mode, but once it ramps down to normal speed it's quite quiet - I doubt I'd even be able to pick it out if it went in a rack with other stuff

edit: here's a vid of the difference
Yes it does. It does go full blast while booting but then it ramps down. Problem is, it keeps ramping up and down every few minutes. I've checked the CPU temps and when it's ramped down, it's ~64C but it ramps up as soon as it hits ~67C.

I may have t0 play with it a bit more in terms of thresholds and yes, I do plug in both power supplies.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Yup have mine up and routing between a few subnets. 10Gbe up to my Office and 40Gbe to FreeNAS and ESXi.... Because I can. Now I am just doing all the other troubleshooting that comes with a new FreeNAS and ESXi install. Why oh why did I decide to start over and put it on separate hardware when my nested box was running solid.... Also when static addressing, don't forget reverse routes I am embarrassed to admit how much time I wasted chasing that.

kapone

May 23, 2015
I'm giddy. :) With the new firmware, now I have 16 10gb ports, not to mention the 40gb ports. I was trying to sell these switches earlier this year, because I was running out of 10gb ports on these. I'm so glad I didn't.

Unless it breaks down, should last me a LONG time with the new port counts!