U-NAS NSC-810A mATX Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Does the 810a come with the MB area exhaust fan or must you add your own? Also, would it support a SuperMicro FlexATX board?
Flex-ATX is smaller than mATX, so it would definitely fit. Five of the mount holes on flexATX match up with mATX or miniITX holes. At worst the corner mount hole might not line up.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Flex-ATX is smaller than mATX, so it would definitely fit. Five of the mount holes on flexATX match up with mATX or miniITX holes. At worst the corner mount hole might not line up.
Yea it as the mount holes I was worried about but now that I think about it, I have 2 FlexATX boards in MicroATX cases and yea just one corner is not screwed down so no big deal. Thanks for the confirmation.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Can those who have purchased the 810a tell me what PSU and exhaust fan you bought? And if you needed PSU extension cables that would be helpful information as well. Thanks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Does the 810a come with the MB area exhaust fan or must you add your own? Also, would it support a SuperMicro FlexATX board?
Yes it comes with a fan. But if you are using a flex atx case, you may want to use a sheet of mylar or something similar under the motherboard. There are openings on the HDD cage that is below the motherboard and if you use anything smaller than uatx then the airflow across the hard drives gets messed up.

Additionally with your 10TB WD golds, you may need to swap out the HDD fans with more powerful ones.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yes it comes with a fan. But if you are using a flex atx case, you may want to use a sheet of mylar or something similar under the motherboard. There are openings on the HDD cage that is below the motherboard and if you use anything smaller than uatx then the airflow across the hard drives gets messed up.

Additionally with your 10TB WD golds, you may need to swap out the HDD fans with more powerful ones.
Thanks for the information. I won't be using 10TB Golds in this. I'll be repurposing some of my 8TB Seagate SMR's so they are lower RPM/power/heat.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
I had to swap out the fans to use the 8TB reds. But if you are using the SME drives in a non striped array then you should be good with the stock Geld fans.

I used the SeaSonic SS-350M1U PSU and needed extensions for 8pin, 24 pin as well as for the chassis led power etc. You can see my build log for full details.

Zeus V2 : U-NAS NSC-810A | X10SL7-F | E3-1265 V3

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I had to swap out the fans to use the 8TB reds. But if you are using the SME drives in a non striped array then you should be good with the stock Geld fans.

I used the SeaSonic SS-350M1U PSU and needed extensions for 8pin, 24 pin as well as for the chassis led power etc. You can see my build log for full details.

Nice build log, I'll definitely be referring to that.

Yea with the SMR's and this server mainly just being used for weekly snapshot backups I don't foresee any heat issues. But of course if I do I'll upgrade the fans as you did.

P.S. Is there only room for a single SSD to be mounted in the case? Would love to fit two. Nvmd, found it in your build log.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I also advise replacing the fans with Noctua's. These cases do get hot and the more airflow you have the better. The MATX case is much better at airflow than the MITX one was which had the CPU blowing right onto the drives.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016

@K D What fans did you replace the stock exhaust fans with? They're definitely not going to suffice but want to make sure I replace them with fans that will make a noticeable difference.

I'm looking at the Noctua NF-P12.

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
I used the Noctua P12s.
Thanks.

After more investigation I realiz down the stock fans were only operating at about 33% speed. If I turn them up to full speed they cool pretty adequately. I guess that's the problem with PWM fans that need to react to HDD temps instead of CPU/MB temps.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
If quietness is a goal I'd still recommend replacing the fans though.

In ambient temps of 18-20°C, my load of six WD reds hovers at 32-40°C with some bequiet fans at ~1000rpm. I set up a script to bump up fan speeds if hddtemp reported higher than 40 or so, but ran into problems with getting ipmitool to modify the thresholds - likely due to the asrock IPMI not behaving in the same way as the supermicro one.

My new buildout in the NSC-800 is with a supermicro build however, and also using the NF-P12s, so when I finally get that running I'll post temps here. Bear in mind that the airflow in these things is about as good as you can expect from eight drives in close proximity, airflow pulled in from the front and then straight out with very little in the way of resistance other than the hard drives themselves, so I never felt the need to use high rpm or high static pressure fans.

McGeeky

Dec 6, 2017
Just came back from holiday to find the parcel waiting for me. It was delivered on Monday while I was enjoying a nice time in Croatia :)

Impressed with the delivery time; somehow they managed to keep it away from HMRC's grubby paws too which makes it even sweeter.
Hi MrToad I am in the process of purchasing the ncs-810a myself but just wanted to know which country the item is sent from in case there is a problem.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I think both would work for you. The 810A is slightly bigger but should give you a little more room to work with.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Pretty sure 810A. It has a side fan to blow fresh air in across the CPU cooler.

stsmith5150

Apr 11, 2018
OK sounds good.
Do you know the exact dimensions?
What PSU did you use?
Also what extensions did you need?

I cant seem to find the reply about that.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
You need to check their site for that. I used a standard Seasonic 1U PSU, but you may need extension for the cables if they run short. I also used the Noctua NH-L9i cooler and it fits perfectly.

jdd561

Apr 11, 2016
I would also suggest the 810A. So much more flexibility (uATX!) for just a tiny bit more space. I also went with the Seasonic 1U and used cable extensions - which makes things a bit messy, but short of custom cables, thats the way it is. I use an NH-L9i as well. My one complaint that U-NAS could actually address on the design would be to flip the location of the PSU. So many boards you want to use these with have the power connections on the CPU side rather than the back, they are basically forcing you to use extensions. If the PSU were on the right instead of the left, you might be able to skip the extensions. The other thing I'd love to see (although not needed I suppose) would be some sort of perforation for the cover above there the CPU sits - a little more air movement would be nice.

I replaced all of the factory fans with Noctua equivalents - the small side fan and the bigger HDD fans. With all of the fans going, I still hear more HDD chatter than fan noise.

For reference, my unit has 8x8TB drives (WD Reds and Seagates) and two internal SSDs, running off of an LSI card and mini-itx board. It is cram packed even with a mini-itx board. I've been running it fully loaded for about a year now, and HDD temps seem to hover between 25-35 degrees, depending on time of year (ambient temperature varies quite a bit). CPU temps are a bit trickier to track down using FreeNAS, but when I was starting out and watched it like a hawk, CPU temps were never a concern.