Recommend: 10GbE, L2+/L3 switch. VLAN ACLs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Ok so I am looking for the wisdom of the group here for a switch model recommendation. Does one that fits my desires exist?

My needs:
10GbE SFP+ (other standard 10GbE Fiber may work)
L2+ routing
VLAN ACLs
reasonable power draw (not 100w+)
not $500+ (prefer under $300)

Nice to have:
Cisco (Since I am most comfortable with that)
POE (power draw obviously higher but that is fine)
4+ SFP+ ports
Full L3

I currently have a stack of three Dell 5524 switches which are capable of static routes and that works fine. However they only allow ACLs to be applied to the physical interfaces not the VLAN/SVI. This doesn't work for me. I am running router on a stick with pfSense right now but I would like to do my inter VLAN routing on the switch.

Thanks for any suggestions.

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Yeah if it wasn't for the power requirement it would be easy.
Thanks I'll have a look at those....
I don't need silent or even quite. Just not full on jet fighter.
I have the CRS226 Microtik and that thing is terrible to try and do anything on so I will never touch Microtik again if I can help it.
I have touched Brocade before and can work my way through the differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fohdeesha

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Ok so this ICX looks extremely interesting to me. A little help here if you don't mind otherwise I will start diggin the best I can tomorrow.

You say it should have a "P" on the front if it truly is a POE model? Looking at this listing it shows the label as a PE but front panel doesn't have a P. It seems like the front panel doesn't change between models at all. Am I missing something?

8x SPF+ and POE would mean I don't need any other switches which would mean my power budget is a little more flexible.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Not sure on the power draw and I know it will be on the higher side...

Cisco 4948E , has 4 x SFP+ ports, still in support and can be had used on eBay less than $300

Reactions: imafreak

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Not sure on the power draw and I know it will be on the higher side...

Cisco 4948E , has 4 x SFP+ ports, still in support and can be had used on eBay less than $300
Looked at that but 230watts. For Cisco I think I would be better off with a 3560E and X2 10Gbe modules.

This ICX looks pretty damn good though.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Looked at that but 230watts. For Cisco I think I would be better off with a 3560E and X2 10Gbe modules.

This ICX looks pretty damn good though.
Ouch and the 93108’s that using to replace them average 290w each !
Switching power consumption is crazy except for a few :-/

Reactions: rchunter

littleredwagen

Dec 8, 2016
This thread is great. I use brocade ICX and VDX fabric switches at work love them. I am interested now in getting one of these in my home lab

mpennett

Apr 11, 2017
Interesting indeed, I might have to consider the non-POE version. I do however have to be concerned about noise levels. The datasheet states 48.7 dB, would you know if that is the ceiling under full load or the constant?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Interesting indeed, I might have to consider the non-POE version. I do however have to be concerned about noise levels. The datasheet states 48.7 dB, would you know if that is the ceiling under full load or the constant?
I would imagine that's peak, it's definitely quieter than my FCX, and that's not bad to begin with. Even if not, I've never heard the FCX or ICX scale fan speed under load. "full load" on these ASICs is 500gbps+ of l3 routing and I've never gotten past a few percent of that

littleredwagen

Dec 8, 2016
Our ICX-6450-48p are really loud at fire up. then quiet down, and the non P version is even quieter That is definitely peak, and I have never heard one ramp up to full speed

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
Well I am officially convinced. I snagged a ICX6610-48P with 1 damaged port for under $200. I am very happy with that deal. Now just have to wait for it to arrive.

Thanks for all the recommendations and @fohdeesha your work on these things is amazing.

mpennett

Apr 11, 2017
I picked up a non-PoE one as I only have 1 PoE device and prefer using the injector for it anyway. Don't need the potential extra noise either. Currently maxed out on 10Gbe ports so this will provide the extra I needed as well. To echo @StammesOpfer I thank you all as well.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
You guys are exhausting the ebay supply! Ignore what I said above, they are garbage switches

also, the 10gbe ports will not work without a license.

Jerry Renwick

Aug 7, 2014
The CRS226-24G-2S+IN is able to power via PoE. With it, one can deploy to nooks and crannies in homes and offices. It can also power the unit through a single Ethernet cable.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
Do these ICX switches support RDMA? priority flow-control and data center bridging protocols. I didnt find it in datasheet so I assume no?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Do these ICX switches support RDMA? priority flow-control and data center bridging protocols. I didnt find it in datasheet so I assume no?
nope that's all in their datacenter line (VDX series)

I should know in the middle of next week whether the stacking ports can be fully unlocked

Reactions: StammesOpfer