Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.5 Hits General Availability

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
My client uses RHEL for their Linux servers. I wish there was a public version so i could use it when creating VMs at home. To get around that, at home i been using Ubuntu server and for the most part i got all the software i use on RHEL to work with Ubuntu. Somethings do require tweaking though.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I think its odd that RH still sticks steadfastly to the "3.x kernel with (what are now massive numbers of) backports" for this release. I get their philosophy that 4.x kernel will be included in rhel 8.x - but there is soooo much important stuff in the mainline kernel these days. Its almost impossible to do anything sophisticated in networking or namespaces (containers) on the legacy kernel.

At least they are including something closer to mainline kernel as an option (their "kernel-alt" approach), though they appear to go to great lengths to discourage using it.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Yea el repo it.

Even ubuntu 16.04 is on 4.4? But you swap to hwe in the installer and it'll do like 4.13. That's a big improvement on newer servers.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Ubuntu 16.04 is now two years old and was released at that time on kernel 4.04, which was fresh and new and top of kernel train. Subsequent Ubuntu releases (16.10, 17.04, 17.10) were each released with a reasonably mainline kernel version. Their upcoming 18.04 LTS will be released on the newest mainline available, 4.15.

RH OTOH is making a major release on a years old legacy kernel with untold backports. Their stated goal is to keep a consistant kernel API for their user base. But in reality all theyve done is made the eventual release and adoption of their upcoming 8.0 massively difficult for their user base. But I guess it will help them sell lots of consulting hours ;)

I prefer Canonical's approach. YMMV.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is a big reason we are using mostly Ubuntu these days. When you get the newest hardware to test being on a new kernel is helpful.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
My client uses RHEL for their Linux servers. I wish there was a public version so i could use it when creating VMs at home. To get around that, at home i been using Ubuntu server and for the most part i got all the software i use on RHEL to work with Ubuntu. Somethings do require tweaking though.
you can get access to official RHEL and other things by signing up for their free developer account:

No-Cost RHEL Developer Subscription now available - RHD Blog

that's been available now for a while...

2nd to that, CentOS is close enough to RHEL that 97.46% of what you do in RHEL is identical in CentOS. CentOS even has additional software repos to "enhance" the RHEL experience. Of course, there's also the EPEL, ELRepo, IUS, and other repositories to provide additional conveniences.

Reactions: marcoi