SM X9DRi-F won't boot with 2 CPUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
Hi folks,

I finally got a chance to open and install an X9DRi-F board that I bought several months ago. It doesn't POST when a CPU is installed in socket 2. Doesn't matter which CPU of the 2 I use, nor does it matter what combination of RAM sticks I install, 2 CPUs won't boot. The socket pins look OK to me.

Any suggestions?

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I had this when I put e5v2 CPUs in a rev of this board that didn't support v2 CPUs.

What CPUs have you tried on this board? Latest BIOS I presume?

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
Try another power supply. Stay away from molex to CPU adaptors as well.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
I had this when I put e5v2 CPUs in a rev of this board that didn't support v2 CPUs.

What CPUs have you tried on this board? Latest BIOS I presume?
I've only tried the E5-2670 CPUs I have on hand, both being matched and v1. I should try flashing the BIOS to the latest version, but I'm not confident that it'll solve the issue.

Try another power supply. Stay away from molex to CPU adaptors as well.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Based on your suggestion, I tried 3 different PSUs (all being SM PWS-741Rs), and even an SM PWS-563H that has a built-in PDB. All 4 exhibit the same behaviour.

At this point, it's either the power rails, socket pins being bent, or the CPU/RAM. But nothing seems to jump out.