FS: Monoprice slimrun CAT6 (bulk)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
Never used "slimrun" before. Isn't CAT6 supposed to have shielding & a plastic core? Without it, what's the advantage of buying this over CAT5E for about 15-20% less?

snoturtle

Apr 11, 2017
Any cat cable can have shielding not just 6a.

Personally I would only use the slimrun stuff for short patch cables and not long runs.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Any cat cable can have shielding not just 6a.

Personally I would only use the slimrun stuff for short patch cables and not long runs.
I never said ONLY CAT6A can be shielded. CAT6 cannot have the same shielding of Cat6A or it would be called Cat6a. This is why CAT6A is rated for longer runs @10Gig. The same is true for differences between CAT5 and CAT6 and CAT5E and Cat5, etc... etc...

snoturtle

Apr 11, 2017
Cat6 can also have shielding with plastic core.

The difference between cat6 and cat6a has nothing to do with shielding but does deal with the cable being rated at a higher speed.

You are correct that 6a is rated for longer runs of 10 gig

@sth how long are the runs you are planning and why use slimrun vs. normal cat6?

That would be cat6a that has the shielding.
CAT6 is rated for 10Gig at lower distance than CAT6A.

Go Cat8 for 40Gig :p Cat8 Shielded Solid Bulk PVC Ethernet Cable - Blue LOL

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Cat6 can also have shielding with plastic core.

The difference between cat6 and cat6a has nothing to do with shielding but does deal with the cable being rated at a higher speed.

You are correct that 6a is rated for longer runs of 10 gig

@sth how long are the runs you are planning and why use slimrun vs. normal cat6?
CAT6 and CAT6A are both rated for 10G, one is rated for a LONGER run with less interference. How do you think that CAT6A handles longer distances? It's due to the difference in shielding that prevents cross talk and allows the signal to stay usable at longer distances.

CAT6A also ALL should be STP where as I mentioned before CAT6 could be unshielded.

Throw in manufacturers not adhering to standards, varying material used, varying metals used, varying gauge wire, etc, and you start getting into non-standard junk cables too.

Wikipedia goes into decent info:
Category 6 cable - Wikipedia
Of interest: "Category 6A performs at improved specifications, in particular in the area of alien crosstalk as compared to Cat 6 UTP (unshielded twisted pair), which exhibited high alien noise in high frequencies."

Higher bandwidth, longer runs = Cat6A is what I'd install :) if not going fiber

Last edited:

sth

Oct 29, 2015
I have a pretty unique problem Im looking to solve with limited space to exit 24+ cables from my rack into my home conduits easily so wanted to move a number of connections to slimrun cables to give me some breathing room to accommodate more devices. Typical runs will be in the range of 20-60ft or so and only 1g, all the 10/40gig stuff runs over optical connections. The price of the ready assembled 50ft cables i would need would put me pretty much at the price of a 1000ft spool hence why looking to preferably buy in bulk as its cheap and can be made to exact lengths etc. Theres a few threads on here where users have found it to work fine including with PoE etc so figured it was worth a try before resorting to more drastic measures.