Supermicro X11SDV-4C-TLN2F Review with Intel Xeon D-2123IT

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Since someone will ask: soon and more than the $213 SoC cost.

Reactions: i386

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Wiredzone has the systems with that board $700
Supermicro SYS-E300-9D Embedded Processor

So a few ~$30 more than the d-1518 version of same system.

That’s new power readings for this review @Patrick ?
The idle consumption makes no sense, your review of the X11SPH with silver 4114 is idle at 63 watts, that system has a sas3008 and is not a SoC etc, imagine you used say an X11SPM then maybe the silver cpu is using less than the baby d-2100.

What’s the deal with the cache on d-2123IT, the 4 cores have more per core than all the other cpu’s in the d-2100 range.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
@Patrick, i know your results were testing against other ATOMs and Xeon-D's i was wondering how this guy compared against say a 2660V1 processor close in speed on the normal Xeon Track, the q becomes is it a good move over from the old DDR3 architecture to latest DDR4

Jun 5, 2017
Hey Patrick,

Quick copy-n-paste of the last question I posted to your article on this board.

In what case did you use it? I wanted to use it for a cold storage & backups NAS (i.e. low activity, hardly any more than receiving hourly ZFS replication streams and bi-monthly pool scrubbing), so I was hoping to put it in Supermicro’s CSE-721TQ-250B Mini-Tower, which you’ve also reviewed separately. But Supermicro itself told me this was a bad idea because that case would not be able to handle all of the undissipated heat generated by the built-in chip with the provided passive cooling, recommending that I stick to the prior generation’s X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F equivalent, which is actively cooled. I don’t care much for 4 NICS, but I do for 10GbE networking (and storage performance, which if I read you right in the article, you say it’s been improved a good deal in the X11).

So, with that in mind, what chassis would you recommend for this board? Or, alternatively, what other board (miniITX & 10GbE) would you suggest for that chassis?

Thanks!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi @Juan Manuel Palacios

I used a SC505-203B with a shroud (I beleive it is part number MCP-310-50503-0B and you need to have the fans/ fan holder in the chassis as well.) It was early days since we were testing the unit before the actual release day and have used it more as a compute node with network storage.

The other option is to use a barebones like this Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | Mini 1U | E300-9D

If you are looking for cold storage and backup NAS duties, what about Atom C3000? This would be a better option Supermicro Solutions based on Intel® Atom™ Processors | Embedded Solutions | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Having a X10SDV (D1540) in a CSE-721TQ I would have to agree that the X11SDV would likely not be a goo match with a large fan on top. To echo what Patrick says if you like that case and in general for storage the C3000 A2SDI boards or the X10SDV D1500 boards would be good with 10G, the C3000 have generally many more sata3 ports if that matters.

Just thinking about the SM D-2100 X11SDV boards, how large is that heatsink ?? I wonder how much static pressure is needed, a nice large fan that’s not too noisy may work ok on that.... if only idle power was not so high.

Jun 5, 2017
Hi @Patrick, @Evan,

Coming back to this again after some silence, thanks for those suggestions, specially regarding the Atom C3000 & SM A2SDI boards. Of all the boards and CPUs I've seen, I keep coming back to the X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F and, now, also to the A2SDi-H-TF, as they both have a similar feature set and price ranges that meet my goals. The A2SDi-H-TF, however, doesn't seem to be rated by Supermicro as good for the CSE-721TQ-250B Mini-Tower, probably because of its passive cooling. Have either of you had experience with matching those two together?

Ultimately, what I'd really love to see is a X11SDV-4C+-TLN4F board, i.e. an actively cooled X11 version of the X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F board, or even a X11SDV-4C+-TLN2F (i.e. active cooling & 2 10GbE NICs, because I don't really care for 4 NICs), or X11SDV-2C+-TLN2F (2 cores, active cooling, and 2 10GbE NICs), or X11SDV-2C-TLN2F (2 cores, passive cooling, and 2 10GbE NICs), but as far as I can see none of those products exists. Here's hoping SM eventually brings at least some of them to market... or is there just no market for them?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Juan Manuel Palacios for the A2SDi just use a 60mm nocuta fan or similar on the heatsink if putting in the SC721 case.

The cooling for a passive D-2100 in the same case is probably not such an easy solution.

I was tempted to rebuild my test ESX/Hyper-V cluster with the X11SDV-4C-TLN2F is the CSE-300 cases since they are available in that config as a standard server due to the easy usage of NVMe on that platform. (It’s pure functional test cluster and not performance so should be ok, but I don’t have a suitable 10G copper switch that’s all so would need to get and I want to keep the complete solution compact)

Jun 5, 2017
@Evan,

Thanks for the suggestion on the Noctua cooler for the A2SDi board, I'll look into it. Other than that, which of the two, A2SDi-H-TF Vs. X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F, would you say has better performance for a purely cold storage NAS (i.e. no video transcoding, file sharing, etc.)?

When I spoke about the boards I'd love to see from SM I mistyped, I meant a hypothetical X11SDV-4C+-TLN2F (actively cooled 4C with 2 10GbE NICs) on down to a hypothetical X11SDV-2C-TLN2F (passively cooled 2C with 2 10GbE NICs), because I never cared about 4 NICs. But, again, none of those exist.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
High clock speed (3 ghz) and much higher IPC (almost double) for the d-2100 would in nearly all situations be superior to the 8 core of C3000.

However this is pure compute power, memory bandwidth will also be much better. Also other instructions like AVX512 support on d-2100, it’s the same core as current scalable CPU’s. But his come at the expense of power consumption.
You need to consider the other interfaces that the boards support and if you will or won’t use them.

If your not transcoding and not running VM’s they will be be more than sufficient. If running VM’s then really it’s really a tough question, for performance d-2100 for lowest idle power consumption then C3000 is what I would lean towards.

If you plan to use a VM for any desktop type duty then d-2100 for responsiveness