Help w/ ACL editing on Windows

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I setup a OmniOS/napp-it VM (using the napp-in-one ESXi image) and I'm trying to wrap my head around ACLs but I am experiencing what I *think* is a bug.

When I try to edit the ACLs from a Windows machine the Windows Object Picker dialog will NOT let me type a user's name in. I tried 'name', 'hostname\name', and 'HOSTNAME\name' but none of those work.

If I instead click "Advanced" and "Find now" I can enumerate all the users and select the user from the list. This adds that user to the Object Picker dialog as 'HOSTNAME\name' and I can then edit ACLs for that user.

What am I doing wrong here? :( This must be something specific to OmniOS that I am not typing correctly as this is how Windows permissions usually work: you can either type 'name' with the location set to the domain or you can type DOMAIN\name manually.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Can you please add your Windows and OmniOS release and if you are in AD or workgroup mode

What I have seen with Windows 10 Pro 1709 german and OmniOS 151024r in workgroup mode
when I connect a SMB share via \\ip as user root and want then add permissions to a file via

properties > security > edit > add then
advanced > search now I got a list of all users and groups

When I select a user ex paul on 192.168.1.2 and confirm I get a
Windows security prompt: Error on searching for usernames to display

upload_2018-3-16_10-35-32.png

SMB Settings
netbios_enable=true

User guest created and activated
User root with SMB password

When I do the same with a hostname ex \\nas01 instead of \\ip it works
(required a manual dns entry in my case)

In AD domain mode it works with the ip

I am not sure if this a bug, as intended or a Windows problem?
(and I have only not seen yet as I use AD). I have placed a question at the Illumos list and hope for an answer

If it does not work with your Windows (Home has problems and I have heard of enterprise with problems) you can try my acl extension to set permissions via napp-it

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
> Can you please add your Windows and OmniOS release and if you are in AD or workgroup mode

Info:
* Windows = Windows 10 Pro Version 1709
* OmniOS = v11 r151024j
* netbios_enable=true
* I'm in workgroup mode

> When I do the same with a hostname ex \\nas01 instead of \\ip it works
Darn, I'm already doing it by hostname =\

I also tried doing it as both root and as my user (connecting manually via `net use`) and I tried it via the normal Explorer security dialog AND via the Network Shares admin snap-in.

> I am not sure if this a bug, as intended or a Windows problem?
*shrug*. I've never seen this behavior before but who knows!

> (and I have only not seen yet as I use AD).
I've been procrastinating setting up a domain controller for my house. My main gripe is that you have to use the domain controller for DNS on all your machines and I don't have anything in the house that has good enough uptime for that. *shrug*

Can I by any chance use Azure Active Directory and have napp-it just use Active Directory for the usernames/passwords and NOT anything else (such as DNS)?

> I have placed a question at the Illumos list and hope for an answer
Thank you so much!