Free P3700 in Exchange for Firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
You could contact a reseller like Samsung PM963 960GB - Server SSD Solid State Drive - MZQLW960HMJP-00003 - TLC - U.2 and try to find out their fw upgrade options. In doubt you buy a drive from them to test things out, still worth it in your case
I've tried this with numerous eBay sellers, but have not ventured past there as of yet. This was sort of my last resort I suppose. All I need is another PM963

Going to shy away from Samsung drives in the future over this I think... At least for as long as I can hold a grudge :rolleyes:

I've never run into a single hiccup with Intel drives or support, but have been frustrated many times trying to operate various Samsung drives behind RAID controllers, HBA's, backplanes, etc. I recognize that the PM963's aren't exactly a top shelf Samsung enterprise product, but I suspect I'd be in better shape if I ran into a similar issue with 12x Intel 750's..

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Why another PM963 if you can't extract? Edit: Ah caught the irony now;)
Idea is: Official OEM reseller should be able/responsible to provide firmware updates and potentially release level FW as well. Might help if you ask, ought to help if u r a customer;)

And I had Viking intel SSDs getting hickups (getting security locked) - no help from either, have Dells - no support without contract.
HPE is actually different, they support the drive itself and not as part of the system, was very pleasently suprised.

Else, everything OEM is pure luck, be it Intel or micron or Samsung.

Last edited:

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Why another PM963 if you can't extract? Edit: Ah caught the irony now;)
Idea is: Official OEM reseller should be able/responsible to provide firmware updates and potentially release level FW as well. Might help if you ask, ought to help if u r a customer;)

And I had Viking intel SSDs getting hickups (getting security locked) - no help from either, have Dells - no support without contract.
HPE is actually different, they support the drive itself and not as part of the system, was very pleasently suprised.

Else, everything OEM is pure luck, be it Intel or micron or Samsung.
Understood. it just seems like someone somewhere has access to or knows someone who has access to some of the other OEM's firmware/tools... Particularly Dell.

At the very least, I expect a legal department approved FU email from my non-helpful vendors.. Not sure I've ever received a one-two line response followed by complete and utter silence o_O

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
It’s a Korean company :-/
Dell and Lenovo are the 2 vendors I know that use them. HPE does not.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You contact a generic mail address with a non account specific issues.
Most large companies out there probably dont have a process for that and as such no clue where to forward it to inside their company nor the time or will to find out

At least that would be the case for most companies I ever worked at;)
Or as a colleague of mine puts it - there is no 'common sense' policy in the policy portal

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
You contact a generic mail address with a non account specific issues.
Most large companies out there probably dont have a process for that and as such no clue where to forward it to inside their company nor the time or will to find out

At least that would be the case for most companies I ever worked at;)
Or as a colleague of mine puts it - there is no 'common sense' policy in the policy portal
Really holding my feet to the fire with all of this common sense business..

Look, I think I should be able to buy PM963's from China @$300 a pop and they should come with full support. MKAY? :D

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Totally agree - I was not referring to you but (large) companies not being able to cope with non standard requests.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Was this resolved? I can probably find some PM963 firmware.
Nope, he never managed to get it to work as far as I know, apparently Samsung could not even produce the firmware that was a shipped version on some drives that worked. Seems Samsung have been extremely uncooperative on this.

I also tried my contacts feeling rather confident I would get what was needed and fell short as well :(

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Nope, he never managed to get it to work as far as I know, apparently Samsung could not even produce the firmware that was a shipped version on some drives that worked. Seems Samsung have been extremely uncooperative on this.

I also tried my contacts feeling rather confident I would get what was needed and fell short as well :(
Soo.. after signing a three way non disclosure between my company, a major OEM and Samsung, I actually did get my hands on the latest super top secret firmware revisions for these drives. Unfortunately, however, neither myself or an engineer remoted in could get the drives to accept the new firmware (we worked on it for approximately 4 hours).

I'm told the drives must go back to Samsung which is a ok with me. This will be happening the second I get back into town.

Reactions: T_Minus

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
Soo.. after signing a three way non disclosure between my company, a major OEM and Samsung, I actually did get my hands on the latest super top secret firmware revisions for these drives. Unfortunately, however, neither myself or an engineer remoted in could get the drives to accept the new firmware (we worked on it for approximately 4 hours).

I'm told the drives must go back to Samsung which is a ok with me. This will be happening the second I get back into town.

Appreciate the like.. But I'm still pretty skeptical at this point.. It's something I've been going around and around with for a year. I would be both ecstatic and shocked if suddenly I had 14 perfectly functioning drives.

I have, however, provided drive SN's pre-RMA discussion, so there shouldn't be any gotcha's. Who knows.. Maybe this is a real thing?

Probably just a ploy to confiscate them and shut me up. I'm sure there is a defaced mugshot of me on their white board at this point. I've relentlessly hammered on them from every angle for quite sometime now.. It's nearly become a hobby of mine when I get a moment away from work :D

Reactions: Evan

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Appreciate the like.. But I'm still pretty skeptical at this point.. It's something I've been going around and around with for a year. I would be both ecstatic and shocked if suddenly I had 14 perfectly functioning drives.
It does make a warped kind of sense - normal customer service / tech support is for retail drives only. They've probably never even seen OEM firmware. The OEM group handles that, but the first question is usually "Which OEM are you with?", even if you actually get a hold of them, and then they tell you they can't help you if you're not with an OEM. Having an OEM "on board" with your issue should get around that. Of course, if the OEM you brought to the party isn't the one whose firmware is on the drives, you still might not get anywhere.

AJXCR

Jan 20, 2017
OEM has already been in the computer with me in great detail and recorded the serial numbers and FW revisions.

I also bought drives from them specifically to help grease the wheels a bit.