Platform Power Consumption and First Benchmarks of the Intel Xeon D-2100 Series

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
P

Patrick Kennedy

Reactions: eva2000

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I only found the thought Xeon silver power review when doing a search , was there one with idle values ?
Performance on the cheap cpu looks great, idle power not so...

m4ntic0r

Feb 20, 2017
looks not so good as a future platform for home labbers.. if i had not my x10sdv with xeon 1541 i would buy a normal xeon silver system.

Last edited:

AdrianB

Mar 3, 2017
="Performance on the cheap cpu looks great, idle power not so...

Yes, I agree with this. Some of the new Supermicro X11SDV boards could have been very nice, but the idle power consumption is really huge.

For comparison, I am using an X10SDV-TLN4F, with an 8-core D-1540, which is faster for most tasks than D-2123IT and it is equipped with 64 Gbyte of RAM and 6 Tbyte of SSD (2 TB NVMe + 4 TB SATA) and with an extra Gbit Ethernet.

That system is used 24/7 and its average power consumption is 49 to 51 W (the average power consumption includes the losses in the 80 PLUS Platinum ATX PSU and in an APC UPS, i.e. the power is measured before the UPS). Because it has from time to time peaks of power consumption between 70 and 80 W and it is never completely idle, being connected as firewall & router to the Internet, from where the firewall rejects continuously at least a few hundreds packets per second, the X10SDV-TLN4F idle power consumption must be very low to attain such an average, probably no more than 20 W.

There are a lot of services collocated on that server, two DNS servers, one DNS proxy & cache, a web proxy & cache, 2 HTTP servers, a mail server, a file server and others. All its 5 Ethernet interfaces are connected to other computers, which are active most of the day.

So even the small Mini-ITX variant of X11SDV, with the slowest CPU, has an idle power consumption that is larger than the *average* power consumption of a fully-loaded X10SDV server.

If I would replace the old X10SDV, I would need the FlexATX X11SDV, as only that has enough Ethernet NICs. But that board would certainly have an even higher idle power consumption, so the upgrade would not be acceptable.

A Goldmont / or future Goldmont Plus board would not be acceptable, as I need AVX on the processor.

So it seems that I should wait to see the power consumption of Snowy Owl, or maybe I should try an underclocked Xeon W, if I verify that its motherboard has an idle power consumption that is low enough.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I only found the thought Xeon silver power review when doing a search , was there one with idle values ?
Performance on the cheap cpu looks great, idle power not so...
I think when we did the Xeon Silver reviews there was an extra SAS 3008 in the UP test platform. Idle power is very close between the two sans SAS3 controllers.

Perhaps a point that needs to be made more clear in the reviews: Xeon D-1500 is still going to continue. It has a 7-year lifecycle on many of the parts. If I were building a new home virtualization server, the Xeon Silver is also interesting as it allows one to use 6-12 DIMMs which allows you to hit capacities with smaller RAM modules.

Reactions: eva2000

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
@Patrick Did you get any temperature readings during this testing, by chance?

Also, I know that Xeon D-1500 had "estimated" MSRP pricing as well which never was met my guess due to basic economics, but what's the thought on this platform, do you think we'll be close to MSRP this time or we will be in the same boat?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
@Patrick does the x8 PCIe3 slot happen to support pci bifurcation to 2 x 4 ?
Just thought you may have checked.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Anybody have hands on an x11sdv to see if there is bifurcation support or new info on power consumption ?