HP SAS Expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Just be aware this is not the current model 12gbs version (that has 9 connectors , the 9th being for the rear drive cage in gen9)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Seems like a decent deal, I know the intel RES series of sas expanders sell for at least double that on a deal.

EDIT, NM, 3Gbps tricked me for a sec there, I'd pass/look for a 6Gbps unless your just spinning up magnetics

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
My trouble with the HP SAS expanders is that I could never get them to negotiate above SATA1 speed. I have 3 or 4 and I'm pretty sure they all weren't old PCB models etc. Maybe I've just been unlucky or doing something wrong.

SeanFi

Aug 7, 2015
A thing to clarify - the SATA 1.5Gbps and SAS 3Gbps limitation was the initial spec of the card. At some point, a firmware update unlocked the full SATA 3Gbps and SAS 6Gbps mode. Do a search for them online, hardforum.com has a huge thread about them.

You will be able to update the firmware most easily if you have an HP system (or atleast a compatible HP SmartArray card, such as a P410). You can look on that forum to see what other people have done with them.

I run one in a DL370 G6 and have had good results with it. It is supporting a mix of SAS and SATA drives with no problems, but I have not verified the speeds. Coupled with the integrated P410i array and a 1GB FBWC module, it screams for my purposes as an all-in-one home server/test bed. Of course, my system was meant to take that expander, so YMMV in a different setup.

I paid $60 for mine a few months ago, but it came with 4 of the HP SFF-8087 cables. If you don't need those, this looks like a decent deal, about the same as you can get regularly on eBay. Sometimes they come with a plastic bracket on the back for cable routing; I found it handy and it relieves the stress on the ports on the card.

Reactions: Patriot

Stefan75

Jan 22, 2018
Switzerland
Updated to newest firmware 2.10 (Feb 2013).
My 13 seagate disks (3-5TB) all negotiate at SATA2 (3Gbps).

Last edited: