Looking for Advice - CPU recommendation for 3D rendering

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kupaloid

Mar 16, 2018
Hi Folks,

I've been lurking for a while and reading as much as I can and I'm looking for some suggestions on selecting single/dual CPU setup for my 3D rendering workstation.

My current budget is around 2-3k, not include GPUs. My inital plan is going for threadripper 1950x but I do realize that there are some great ES deals out there. I'm not exactly a PC expert so I have a hard time deciding what CPU I should buy. All suggestions are welcomed:)

Thanks!

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
It would be good if you can specify the software you use and your typical use case. Modelling and rendering have different requirements. It really depends on how you use the software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kupaloid

Mar 16, 2018
It would be good if you can specify the software you use and your typical use case. Modelling and rendering have different requirements. It really depends on how you use the software.

I mostly use Maya and 3ds max. Modelling is not really a problem for me currently. Any recommendations for only rendering?

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
E5-2683v3 is a good CPU with decent number of cores and a acceptable price. If you don’t mind you can buy ES or QS CPUs which could save you money. You can search for it on eBay

Fixer

Jun 4, 2017
Santa Monica
www.linkedin.com
Rendering will vary greatly depending on your renderer. Octane, Redshift and iRay are GPU renderers, while Vray, Arnold and Mental Ray are CPU renderers. Some, like Vray, have a little RT GPU support now and are coming out with more GPU rendering soon, which also muddies your waters.

beaker7

Mar 12, 2018
I manage rendering for a studio and the nodes we just built are 1950x CPU + 4x 1080Ti each. Nowadays I would lean heavily in the GPU direction as all modern renderers either have GPU support now or it is coming.

Maxwell = CPU or GPU
V-Ray = hybrid
Arnold = CPU now, GPU coming later this year
Mental Ray = discontinued
Octane = GPU only
Redshift = GPU only
Renderman = CPU or GPU
Mantra = CPU only AFAIK