Project: MiniRipper

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
Build’s Name: MiniRipper (the simple mind)
Operating System/ Storage Platform: UnRaid (To Handle Dockers and a few VMs - Not Used for Storage)
CPU: ThreadRipper 1950x
Motherboard: Asrock X399M Taichi
Chassis: Cerberus mATX Case
Drives: (1) Intel DC P3520 1.2TB PCI-E (1) - 500GB 2.5 Hitachi
RAM: 2x8gb - 16 Gig total (I'm just bitter about ram prices - i know i know Quad Channel - Hopefully I'll get some in a deal)
Add-in Cards: Nvidia K1200 , Intel X710-DA2 SFP+
Power Supply: Corsair SF600
Other Bits: Noctua NH-9U TR4-SP3 CPU Cooler

I know my build isn't very glam but I wanted a small powerful system for my Media Serving needs. I'm really tired of family bothering me about Plex availability. No good deed goes unpunished.

I'll most likely assemble Saturday morning. I'll post the build then... as you can see. I'll be short. MiniRipper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
[Saved for the progress/building pics]

-Decide to reuse my Mellanox ConnectX3 instead of breaking the seal on the new X710-DA2
-I couldn't wait till Saturday. I already started assembly..1am.....

I think maybe I did a poor job of documenting but its just a simple bolt up.

Case with 1 Noctua NH-F12 and Cosair SF600

1950x mounted to ASrock x399M and cooled by Noctua Treadripper Cooler (I know it's sacrilege to use 2 sticks of ram but I'm salty because I have a ton of 32GB dd4 Registered sticks that don't work on this board)

It's starting to come together. Motherboard mounted with Quadro k1200 and Mellanox Connectx3 SFP+ Card installed. (both I had laying around)

Top View

And we're live! - But serious first post didn't happen. I had to re-seat the ram. Thank god it was something so simple. Boot diagnostic LED FTW

Booty Shot

The Finished Product

Last edited:

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
That board and monitor looks familiar ;). Nice looking build. My 1950x build should be done in a few weeks.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
That board and monitor looks familiar ;). Nice looking build. My 1950x build should be done in a few weeks.

Yes. I admire your build. I was waiting for the mATX version of this board since it was announced earlier in the year. I really like what asrock is doing and I want to do my part to help ensure they keep building what others won't. Maybe down the line I'll move the guts into the Cerberus X case and try a "beginner" water build. But for now I'll leave the water works up to you.;)

On the monitor. I also noticed you choose the same one. I love the USB-C KVM function and it was the driving force for purchasing it over the Alienware 34inch. Nothing beats just plugging in the one cable into my work laptop.

I'm patiently awaiting more pic of your build..
AND
I really wish I had a u.2 SSD.

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
I really like this alot! Can't wait to see more details and the finished project. BTW, I have nothing but Asrock boards now for my PC's, workstations, etc. They have all been rocksolid and I feel they have really stepped up their game in quality. I used to be an Asus fan, but the quality compared to asrock these days, doesn't even come close.

Last edited:
Reactions: leebo_28

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
Yes. I admire your build. I was waiting for the mATX version of this board since it was announced earlier in the year. I really like what asrock is doing and I want to do my part to help ensure they keep building what others won't. Maybe down the line I'll move the guts into the Cerberus X case and try a "beginner" water build. But for now I'll leave the water works up to you.;)

On the monitor. I also noticed you choose the same one. I love the USB-C KVM function and it was the driving force for purchasing it over the Alienware 34inch. Nothing beats just plugging in the one cable into my work laptop.

I'm patiently awaiting more pic of your build..
AND
I really wish I had a u.2 SSD.
Yea I've been using ASRock in my PC/Workstations for many years and I've always been impressed by them. They've continued to improve as well.

And with regard to water cooling, it's one of those things that once you dip your foot in you'll never go back :). Silence was the main motivation for this build but now that I'm in it, I've gone all out :cool:.

The KVM feature on the monitor was definitely a key feature for me, I love it.

Reactions: DaddyGrant

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
@Spartus and @msvirtualguy Ditto on AsRock. All my motherboards are AsRock besides SuperMicro.

I have no self control. I'm building it right now. Should have pics up in an hour.

Sneek Peek: Asrock X399m in Cerberus next to AsRock Fatal1ytx an gaming-itx/ac in NCase M1 - It's coming along

Last edited:

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
@MiniKnight @Spartus @msvirtualguy - Build pics are up on 2nd post. I didn't want to slam everyone so I knew it behind a spoiler.

Phase 2 - (1) Swap out the PCI-E card SSD for U.2 or a well performing M.2 alternative.
(2) Step my ram game up with 4 16GB sticks (Hoping for a trade in the forums)

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
@MiniKnight @Spartus @msvirtualguy - Build pics are up on 2nd post. I didn't want to slam everyone so I knew it behind a spoiler.

Phase 2 - (1) Swap out the PCI-E card SSD for U.2 or a well performing M.2 alternative.
(2) Step my ram game up with 4 16GB sticks (Hoping for a trade in the forums)
Very nice. That Corsair case looks just like a mATX version of the Ncase1 from the outside, super sexy.

As for RAM, yea that one hurt when I had to drop $800+ for my 4 x 16GB sticks :(.

David paul

Feb 24, 2018
Nice setup and thanks for sharing. Question, what is the model and speed of your ram? Given your Noctua cooler, it looks like you had to go with conventional sticks (no fancy tall heat sinks.) I am planning a build with the same motherboard but going with the NH-U12S in a push-pull set up, similar to yours.
Thanks
David

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
what is the model and speed of your ram? Given your Noctua cooler, it looks like you had to go with conventional sticks (no fancy tall heat sinks.)
It's visible in the pics* - G Skill Ripjaws, 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14, part number F43200C14C-16GVK. They do have slightly taller than normal heat spreaders (42mm) but not overly tall like some of the ludicrous RAM on the market.

* Serial number is visible too, be wary of including these in your pics people as it's not unknown for nicked serials to cause problems with RMAs...

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
@Evan The Cerberus feels a lot sturdier but not a polished or mature in comparison to the M1. Simple things like send the right amount of screws for your PS mounting option still seems to be a issue.
Also they are slow to respond to email communication.

Overall I really like the case.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
@David paul , @EffrafaxOfWug is completely correct. The the heat spreaders bump up a little on the Ripzaws line. I had to move one fan up just a pinch to accommodate.

If they were the RGB models there would be a lot more shifting.

DaddyGrant

Jul 14, 2016
I'm curious on the Temps under load as well as the Power utilization under load.
I just plugged in the KiloWatt. I'm thinking about the best way to load it up without too much trouble. I'll try to look for a stress test docker.