Newegg - MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O - $702 AC

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
New Xeon-D is at the corner, but this one seems really good for it's price now.
I know this is nuanced, but the new Xeon D-2100 series' lowest TDP 8 core part is 65W.

Beer_Engineer

Mar 15, 2018
I have a question for you guys on this board. For a while I was considering going with the Xeon 1541 part.
Then I saw yesterday that Newegg offers the MBD-X10SRL-F for $204 after coupon code. I have a rack and space for a Supermicro hot swap chassis such as the 846. I ordered the E5 board because it seemed like a more sound long term investment for a server that will primarily be used for Storage / Media Server etc.
Supports more Ram Slots and Higher Capacity
Change out CPU to much faster parts if my needs change when used CPU pricing comes down
10 Sata Ports
Change out the CPU later to a used CPU with lots of power I don't have any 10G in my network yet.
Flexibility of add on cards for HBA, networking, NVME

Am I not considering something here that makes the Xeon-D a better buying decision?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Beer_Engineer if you have space and are OK with trading a bit more power consumption for more expansion capability, then the trade-off is completely reasonable.

Beer_Engineer

Mar 15, 2018
Thank you so much for the reply @Patrick. I'm really glad that I can stop second guessing myself. :)
Now I need to pick out some other parts. I'll take that discussion to another more appropriate thread. Have a great day!

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
X10SRL and something like a e5-2640v4 if you can find one gives a decent amount more performance at similar cost, heaps more expansion options and memory handling... space a bit more though.

Can I ask the coupon, I need more of those boards :)
May eventually retire the x10sdv originals I have, I was lunch as when I purchased those I got at $500 or so on amazon which was excellent buying for the 8-core even if on d-1540 with only 1G ports.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
X10SRL and something like a e5-2640v4 if you can find one gives a decent amount more performance at similar cost, heaps more expansion options and memory handling... space a bit more though.

Can I ask the coupon, I need more of those boards :)
May eventually retire the x10sdv originals I have, I was lunch as when I purchased those I got at $500 or so on amazon which was excellent buying for the 8-core even if on d-1540 with only 1G ports.
I believe here is the one, coupon code: 0313GMVRS62, but it's $209 after the code.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Server Motherboard LGA 2011 R3 - Newegg.com

Reactions: fractal

Robert Q

Jan 20, 2016
@Beer_Engineer if you have space and are OK with trading a bit more power consumption for more expansion capability, then the trade-off is completely reasonable.
I agree with @Patrick, trading some power for flexibility is completely reasonable.

Only thing I would point out for this board is the lack of a 16x (electrical) slot, as looking forward a little some of your choices regarding m.2 NVME to PCIE adapters might be limited (https://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-SS...-1-fkmr0&keywords=highpoint+nvme+pcie+adapter) or (https://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-SS...-2-fkmr0&keywords=highpoint+nvme+pcie+adapter), so just don't short your options.

Thought I would point this out, but the board you picked looks like a good choice otherwise.

Another thought concerning power, if you converge your environment a little moving forward you might actually save a little power over the D-1500 board depending on processor and what you are running.

Reactions: Beer_Engineer

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
True about no true x16 slot but still have 6 x PCIe3 slots so you an as many or more NVMe drives without expensive adapters than the Xeon-D board.

I don’t have an exact measure but I expect the delta power consumption between the x10srl and x10sdv is probably only about 10 watts, say 45 running vs 35. Just a guess though. I should measure my X10srh that’s god nothing attached yet except boot SSD running but that has the SAS3008 on board so not a fair comparison at all.

Reactions: Beer_Engineer

Beer_Engineer

Mar 15, 2018
I did the mobile deal of the day. Today it looks like the coupon is still valid though as was mentioned above.
0313GMVRS62