One Rack to Rule Them All or Multi-Rack?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
I am slowly trying to get my computer room/desk area together into a rack configuration.

Desktop on the floor, R710 on my desk, PFsense on a table, switch ontop of that, etc, etc.

I love the idea of having a proper rack for connectivity, organization, and professionalism.

Thing is this.

The R710 needs a 29" rack depth, I need something in the 15-22U size to avoid imminent wife murder factor if I brought home a 42U full size rack to hold that server.

The vast majority of the smaller/cheaper racks are made for shorter stuff, like switches, audio equipment, etc.

For those who have been through this. Did you find it best to get a full size rack to mount everything (not 42U but ~30" depth) or did you end up with a shorter rack to keep the smaller equipment on?

I can fit everything except the R710 on a short rack that will take up less space, and less money. It's quite a conundrum. I even plan to build my desktop into a rack case, I very well may end up with the R710 being the only thing I ever own that needs the full 29" depth.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Also depends what quality your looking for, netshelters cx are a good quiet option as are rittal,hp,etc half height racks but they tend to be hard to come by for purchase, wait and watch.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
If you don't mind an open rack then the startech 25U is good and not too expensive new.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Open is fine, I have looked at them. About $200ish. It is one of the ones I have strongly considered.
Just hate paying $200 for a 25u when there are 42u all over the place for $100.

Guess that's the name of the game due to supply/demand.

jmck

Apr 4, 2013
What area do you live in? I'm thinking of selling my Dell 24U and getting a 42U.

JustinH

Jan 21, 2015
Singapore
If you don't mind an open rack then the startech 25U is good and not too expensive new.
I got the 12U version. Very solid and adjustable depth as well. I’ve got a Dell R510 and a Intel 2213H in there (plus other short depth gear)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coinstash

Mar 16, 2016
Brisbane
The DIY timber rack is actually pretty nice, but I can't imagine having 32 Xeon Phis running in my loungeroom so it doesn't really have to look like furniture. For audio gear it might be awesome though.

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
The only thing I do not like is the rack rails are the threaded type, so far I think all my rails are ready/rapid rails that use square holes.
I'll have to see if they sell a DIY rail with the square type holes as well, if so then I am going to look further into this.